ReNim - Node-Based Retarget Animation

But when I press PLAY on the timeline and the motion capture SOURCE begins to play the hips no longer move with the SOURCE, they just jiggle and stay in place…

can you send the blend file

You’ll need the ReNim addon but it’s a very basic setup.
If you enter POSE mode on the MOTION CAPTURE and move the main hips (bone LowerBack) you’ll notice the skeleton moves all around the stage with it… but if you exit pose mode and press PLAY on the timeline the hips simply jiggle while the MOTION CAPTURE moves all about the stage…

Why is it not following the MOTION CAPTURE position, rotation, and scale as it is setup?

turns out the issue is the hips bone very small so you can see and select easily.

update manually fix the issue.

now you can use offset location to adjust.

Wow, I don’t know how I missed that. Sure enough it works!

But now I’m having the same problem on other bones… my other bones are locked. For example, I’ve attached the LEFT HAND from the skeleton rig and the motion cap rig together but when I press play it stays still and jiggles in place even though the hip bone WORKS and moves all around the stage now. Only the ROOT bone seems to be behaving correctly.

Why are my other bones locked?

you must have better understanding how rig works, this add-on only transfer local transform from source.

since your rig mostly using IK, so you need other FK (forward kinematic) control for arm and leg.

here my example adding FK bones, not perfect but better.

I definitely am still confused about rigging. However, I’ve had success rigging this IK rig using nothing but ‘child-of’ bone constraints. When the bones move themselves incorrectly I press ‘set inverse’ and they line up correctly. I thought your add-on was similar but with nodes. It’s much more intuitive to click both bones and create a connection using your node setup… it also makes it easier to change setups on the fly. But if I’m understanding correctly your addon will not translate any ‘global transforms’ and what I’m doing with ‘Child-of’ bone constraints is considered global?

I’ve included my setup using ‘Child Of’ constraints to the bones on the IK rig.

This looks really interesting and Im commenting here basically so I can find it again when I look for it later.

It looked incredibly interesting.
I’ve tried numerous retargeting addons (Rokoko, Auto-Rig Pro) and while you DO get good results, I’ve found that you still spend just as much time mapping the bone names as you do with ReNim connecting them all manually. Infact, it’s even easier with ReNim to make the connections. But alas… It seems it only supports local movements and won’t make my bones physically follow the corresponding bones location on the stage.

I’ve resorted to using ‘Child-of’ ‘Copy Location’ and ‘Copy Rotation’ bone constraints (which works) but it’s far more tedious to setup and it’s even harder to change setups when bone names have changed.

I was really hoping ReNim could track the bones all over the stage because it would make setting up an easier process. The advantage of this whole workflow (unlike other retargeting software) is that the imported motion capture BVH is mapped to whatever rig you want… and thus you can easily swap the BVH using the ACTION EDITIOR in the DOPE SHEEP without having to wait for it to retarget the whole animation to your object. They simply mirror each other while the mocap drives the overall animation and then you can also animate certain aspects of your OWN rig on top of it all to make up for mistakes or move hands and eyes while it’s still driven by the mocap…

its really possible to using pose space transform, I don’t really like world space transform since I like to move the armature object.

but for now I have another project I focus on and things I have to learn.

Update

Version : 0.1.2 [19/12/20]

• add mix_mode and the default value is “AFTER”, make result of child of constraint more properly

retarget

1 Like

I keep having weird rotation mapping issues with my arms when I try to set up a Retarget following your Tutorial Video.

To keep things super simple, here is just a Human Meta Rig with the bones mapped, and you can see there is a rotation issue with the lower arm.

Any ideas?

Just to make sure I wasn’t going crazy – I built the setup again from complete scratch following every step of the video. You can see here that the issue happen when rotating in Global Z. The Target Rig is rotating in the wrong direction. Which obviously messes up the retarget.

can you share the blend file sample

change node mix_mode to before

Here is the Blend file.

I tried Mix to Before and it didn’t seem to change anything.

I have to change few line code.
you have to set mix to after original.
ReNimNode.zip (14.3 KB)

DISADVANTAGE

• can not tweak pose when armature is binded
  • you have to unbind if you want match target armature pose to source armature

hopefully blender soon will have node constraint that expose and manipulate matrix.

Hmm, now I seem to be seeing the mismatch in rotation direction on all 3 arm bones, not just the forearm now.

Here is the Blend file.

Perhaps that is what you were saying tho, that you can’t pose it while Binded?

So it seems that has fixed the issue I was having with the arms, but now it seems that my feet are flying everywhere. It’s the same result if I do with IK / FK combo like your demo, or this is with only FK and all IK disabled. The result is the same.

Here is the Blend file.

I rebuilt the entire setup from complete scratch following your demo video and I’m getting the same result with the sliding feet that don’t stay where the Source feet are.