Request: Geometry Nodes Camera Outline

Does anyone have a good idea of how to create some sort of selection that works like the Outline effect from Grease Pencil?

I’m not sure where to start, perhaps some of you smart people have an idea.

1 Like

This is a bit limited in that it doesn’t do any obstruction testing, but it gets the edges at least:

Good luck.

5 Likes

Yo that was fast :sweat_smile: 1h2m, must be some kind of record

Let me try this out in my scene, I’ll get back to you when I have something :thinking:

I’ve been trying to to combine this with my voronoi islands tree material, to create little tree peaks.

Works better than expected, but not good enough yet. Shading is the biggest issue, as manually transferring normals is broken in both cycles and eevee since after 2.83

Maybe it’s worth picking this up a bit later, if I can get around the shading issues.

Otherwise, super cool technique to add a bit more depth to this terrain : )

1 Like

Huh, instead of shading the fins, I use refraction.

That seams to work a lot better :thinking:
Very nice fluffy contours

Those little green bits are slanting slightly backwards, causing them to refract what’s behind on the hill

Hi, I know a little time has passed since this post, but it’s very interesting!

Would you mind elaborating a bit more on the the refraction technique? I can see how the green bits can be generated, and I can understand that with refraction they can show what’s behind the hill, but I can’t understand how to refract an image of a line of trees with the correct orientation, and why that might be better than shading the fins directly.

Thanks again for the whole view-aligned voronoi islands thread - it’s amazing!

Actually, it makes a little more sense now that I’ve read the bug report more thoroughly. The ‘fins’ don’t face directly toward the camera, and the issue with the normals might prevent you from smoothy point the normals to the camera. However the problem could be bypassed by refracting down to where the lies horizontally?

I’ll see how I go…