Reset Sculpt Brushes Addon

Version 1.1.2

Just a little addon to reset all sculpt brushes at once.

• Includes preferences for entries in the filemenu or next to the reset brush option in the properties panel

• Optional AutoReset Modes on Load: Silent, With Checks for Outdated Files or Dialogbased

• Supports Custom Brush Reset Protection now
    Just let custom brush names start with underscore to protect them

What’s New

• Bugfix: Fixed error happening on plugin deactivation

• General Improvements and better UI Feedback

• Variants introduced for the optional AutoReset Mode

• Silently Resetting after BlendFile loading

• Silently Resetting after loading Blendfile if it might be outdated

• Compares Blenders Build Date with the Filedate and just resetting if the File is outdated
    • Dialog on load if BlendFiles might be outdated

• Compares Blenders Build Date with the Filedate and just resetting if the File is outdated
      • OnLoadMessage
    • Note: Clicking anywhere on screen closes the dialog without causing brushresets

Preferences:
preferences

12 Likes

Nice! Will this reset the brushes for subsequent Blender sessions as well, or only for the current session?

It filters for brushes that are meant to be used as sculptbrushes. So yes, it will work for upcoming sculpt brushes too.

1 Like

Thanks, but what I meant was: once you’ve reset the brushes, will the reset settings be remembered by Blender after you’ve quit, or will you need to reapply the Reset All Brushes function at the start of each Blender session?

Brush settings are saved within the blend file. So if you save it in the current file and/or your startup file it should be consistent. But old files can have old settings.

1 Like

Updated to 1.0.3

@Metin_Seven: Based on your comment I added an option to Auto-Reset on file load. That means as soon as a blend file is fully loaded all brushes will be reset to the most recent defaults of the used blender version.

It’s practical if you always want the brushes to be in default state at the beginning of each sculpting session. As this is not a feature everyone may like it is deactivated per default and you will have to activate it manually in the addon preferences.

Note. Updated brush settings will also be saved to the blend-file without having this turned on if you save the file. And if you tweak values during a session and save your file these tweaks get also saved. Things like that would be reverted by this option.

1 Like

Thanks! :+1:

The auto-reset is very useful when you install a new daily alpha build every day, like I do. Brush presets are often changed during the alpha stage.

1 Like

One more question: would it also be possible to reset all brushes only when Blender starts, in stead of when loading files?

After a short lookup it seems thats not possible. But I will have one more look later. Also if you load a file after blender starts all values that would have been reset will be overwritten with the files stored values.

1 Like

Hello, I just installed this plugin and it prompts an error.

Thanks for the info. You are installing it under 2.80 right?
One of the places where I add the entry is a dropdown list next to the brush icon. That dropdown was indeed just introduced in 2.81. I’ll fix that.

Updated to 1.0.4

Fix: Installation error with blender versions older than the official 2.81 release

1 Like

Updated to 1.1.0

• General Improvements and better UI Feedback
  • Variants introduced for the optional AutoReset Mode
    • Silently Resetting after BlendFile loading
    • Silently Resetting after loading Blendfile if it might be outdated
    • Dialog on load if BlendFiles might be outdated
    • Note: Clicking anywhere on screen closes the dialog without causing brushresets
1 Like

@Metin_Seven: As I promised to have a look. Updates once on startup aren’t possible and that by intent as loading files would overwrite any changes anyhow.

I think the new AutoReset modes will solve this problem much better. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Nice! I like the added AutoReset conditions. :+1:

1 Like

Updated to 1.1.1

• Custom Brush Reset Protection Mechanism
    • Its now possible to exclude custom brushes from being reset too, by changing their name to start with underscore “_”
1 Like

Just learned of this addon but quickly found out it won’t load on 2.91

1 Like

Hi JWise.

Here is the reason why it’s not a good idea to ask add-on developers to make their add-ons compatible with the Alpha (Daily Builds) versions of Blender:
I invite you to read @pitiwazou’s comment: Asset Management

I don’t want to answer in behalf @Debuk but I think we (users) should use addons only with stable versions of Blender.
Of course we can try them with the Experimental versions of Blender but the Blender code can change a lot during the Blender alpha development. Asking addons devs to support these experimental versions might be a waste of time for addons developers (IMO).

1 Like

What exact problem do you have and under which exact blender version? I just tested it with this version: 2.91.0 Alpha, branch: master, commit date: 2020-08-25 19:28, hash: rB396d39c6b904 and it runs fine here. I will make one more test with the latest build.

Edit: I just checked it out, but there is no newer release yet. If you haven’t done already please try updating to the latest build and a clean reinstall of the plugin.

Edit2: Installation instructions can be found on the github page. Make sure to extract the py file and choose that directly to get it installed.

Blender version: 2.90.1
Addon version: 1.1.1

Hi.
I have noticed the following error when I tried to deactivate the addon in the Preferences > Addons list.

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “E:\blender_Portable\2.90\scripts\modules\addon_utils.py”, line 434, in disable
mod.unregister()
File “E:\blender_Portable\2.90\scripts\addons\ResetSculptBrushes.py”, line 207, in unregister
bpy.app.handlers.load_post.remove(load_handler)
ValueError: list.remove(x): x not in list

1 Like