Resilience Satelle

A few more screen shots of the tower details. To complement the ones that my wife shown yesterday and present all of the awesome work she made on it :star_struck:

Best regards
Rogério

Hello guys!!

Today I bring you the wooden walkway which, in my opinion, was quite difficult to come up with in a way that could work. I initially started by trying to do everything by hand, but it proved more complicated and time-consuming. Until we came to the conclusion that the best way to work would be to construct a considerable part and make an array that follows a curve. Then it would just adjust. And so it was!
I also started the boarding house. I still have some details to finish on it.

Hope you like it!!
Best regards,
Rute Perdiz

1 Like

Right! Time for real crappy schematics :space_invader:

One of the interactive shots plays more or less like this:

• Noam gets off his boat towards the docks;
  • The Docks are full of seagulls, blocking the passage;
  • Noam (the player), that by this time is always naturally furious and frustrated with himself, spins his scarfs and kicks the seagulls out of the way as he heads towards home.

Now the “real” geometry in scene is Noam and the Seagulls, all the rest is just 360º video playing.
The plan is playing the video driven by Noam progression. Therefore if Noam walks forward, the video will play forward and if Noam walks backwards the video will play backwards. Water will always play forward, but still just video… :thinking:

1 Like

Hello guys!!

After an evaluation we thought the wooden walkway should be different. As it was before, it would be a very big climb up to the tower, so we took another turn so that the passage was more right and more meaningful.
Today I finished the boarding house and modeled the towers where the kites would be placed. Tomorrow I will make the fence that circles the top of the mountain and a few more props.

Hope you like it!
Best regards,
Rute Perdiz

always impressed when i drop by, great work guys! dang i really love the bridge to the tower :sunglasses:

but just thinking aloud for a sec, graphics rendering and computational power has made some leaps in recent. trying mess with getting a rendered video to work maybe shooting yourself in the foot…

lets think on a few things, the smallest tweak to a background object could potentially mean rerendering many frames, and not to mention keeping track of all the frames needing updated.

also, video files are no small thing. in fact, one of the big reasons we have RT cutscenes today is a simple matter of not being able to fit on CDs. then imagine having to render with sufficient resolution and compression to make it look good.

it very well may be easier to bake assets into a low poly and just 3d render. even you have said the challenges of figuring out how to manage a 360 video. between figuring out where the player is and allowing sufficient movement not to cause distortion, just making the scene actually 3d makes good sense.

finally, having the video frame controlled presents a issue with idle animations, when the player is still, even for a moment, the waves in the water would stop, the grass cease to wave, heck, even sound effects might not line up.
having 3d scenery instantly mashes all those issues, and distance scenery could be a video 360 on a loop.

again, just thinking aloud… :thinking:

Hello Daedalus,
Thank you very much for taking the time to make such an awesome comment!
Hehe I’ll tell my wife that the bridge is being loved :smile:

Early today (before reading your comment) I’ve coincidentally added a note on the 1st post.

One thing that annoys me the most is knowing that not everyone will see what I want to show to them. Even on a youtube video, some people sees it at 240p and others at 4K depending of their internet speed. I want that, no matter if you have a raspberry pi 4 or a Titan RTX PC, you’ll experience the exact same thing.

What I’ve wrote is the main reason that I even tough in this method.

Now, you speak the truth, in every thing you say. I spend all days thinking on all the problems and difficulties you mentioned… didn’t find really a proved to work answer so far :slight_smile:

Most modern game engines can run about 10 million textured triangles in real time on a NVIDIA 1060 6 Gb of ram (I’ve worked on such a project, a bicycle simulator)… so far we don’t even reached to 1 million, so most surely we could load this all, like it is, without any further modification (well perhaps in textures, some have complex node mixes) and it would run fine.

Things the prevent me to do that:

• Budget. We don’t have even a small studio resources, we are just two persons with 2 normal computers. Making things in doubles is a pain, specially in a risky project like this :slight_smile:

• The characters have Disney quality rigs, that game engines can’t understand directly. For the interactive zones I’ll make simpler rigs, but I prefer to use the good ones elsewhere. I know that there is Alembic exporting but that thing just seems to not be mature enough to actually work. The solution would be to export everything as shape keys but… it’s a bit of a time consuming process overhaul, specially because we always need to make changes.

• I’m planing a very complex look that will use compositor nodes to make everything look more hand painted.

• For now we need something that we know that won’t change much to work on, like Eevee that it’s pretty much final. Armory (at current date) changes very often, the ACXT3R project, for exemple, would break at each update so we can’t make something directly for it yet, maybe in the future we will. Also Armory has it own renderer that ain’t exactly like Eevee.

• Something keeps driving me to this silly approach :roll_eyes: may be madness… but one needs to do what feels more feasible considering the limitations :slight_smile: just like the story hehe.

I have an open mind and I am always searching for new approaches, so this ain’t locked… I just need to follow a path to a goal.
My goal is to make something more close to a movie than with a game, but, if the road proves to be very bumpy I may need to turn on some other direction. For now this one is working :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Best regards
Rogério

Hello people!!

Today I made the fence around the top of the mountain. Here we use the same method of the wooden walkway, I modeled a small part and we used the array that follows the curve.
I also made the base where the balloons of hot air land.
In this zone the modeling work is almost finished, I’ll just do a few more details and then start texturizing.

Hope you like it!
Best regards,
Rute Perdiz

Hello guys!!

Today I do not bring you any developments made in the project, as always.
Today I write to let you know that I am taking a break because a more urgent project has appeared and that needs my work.
As soon as I can, I’ll go back and continue.

Best regards,
Rute Perdiz

2 Likes

Hello friends!

We had a big project green lighted for production.
It will take at least a month to complete, so meanwhile the Resilience Satelle project will be paused.
We’ll get back as soon we complete the project.

Best regards
-Rogério-

2 Likes

Meanwhile :grin:

This is the concept paint for the Cave that connects both towns and it was painted by myself back in 2017 with Mypaint and Gimp.

The cave is a gorgeous place to visit but at the same time a very dangerous place to be, therefore it was closed many years ago for safety reasons. On the old days both towns were connected to each other and both towns were prospering. As soon the cave was closed the Moget town decayed to the ground and as seen all of the younger population (mostly carpenters) departure for other islands searching for work.

Again the color palette goes form Green (Noam Town) to Red (Moget Town).
Hope you like it! :slight_smile:
Best regards
-Rogério-

1 Like

This is a very cool project, and one I can tell you two are very passionate about! :slightly_smiling_face: As someone who loves both movies and games I respect the idea of putting the two together to create something special. Awesome to see the work created so far. And hope to see it continue soon! I also hope your other current project is going well.

1 Like

Hello ArtAvenue!
Thank you very much for your comment! Since the very begging of my serious career (2006 onwards) that my goal is to accomplish something like this… I hope to finally accomplish it with RS :sweat_smile:
We are very happy to know that you’re enjoying the progress, that’s the most important for us.
We’ll get back as soon as possible and I really can’t wait for it too. :slight_smile:
Best regards
-Rogério-

1 Like

Hello guys!

I came back with some advances in the project.
I started to texturize the tower zone. Today I put the woods and the little things. Tomorrow I will continue and possibly this zone will be over.

Hope you like it!
Best regards,
Rute Perdiz

2 Likes

Hello guys!

Today I finished the tower zone. We had to test the type of roof that would look best on the tower and how to place the texture with minimal distortion.
To make it work, we changed the roof of the wooden walkway to the same type of tower tile.

Hope you like it!!
Best regards,
Rute Perdiz

2 Likes

I’ve just loaded my wife awesome tower to the scene, let’s see how it looks in place:

Ho! In case you wounder how is the view on the dragon bridge:

Feels safe to me :slight_smile: Yeah, they have good maintainers for the wood, it has treatment :smirk:

Nice Job! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Hello guys!

Today I bring you a windmill that will be on top of one of the mountains.
I looked for references from typical German windmills and went from there.
Tomorrow I will make the windows and doors and finish the wooden porch.

Hope you like it!!
Best regards,
Rute Perdiz

Hello guys!

Today I finished the second floor balcony and put the windows and doors in place.
Tomorrow I will make the propellers of the mill and then the modeling work will be complete.

Hope you like it!
Best regards,
Rute Perdiz

1 Like

Hello guys!

First of all I wanted to mention that we had to change the structure of the windmill because it would not be functional and credible if it was square. So after further reference searches we opted for a rounded tower with the house that grabs the base.
At the moment I am finishing the porch and then I will continue for more adornment and finally I will make the sails of the mill.

Hope you like it!
Best regards,
Rute Perdiz

1 Like

Hello Friends!
My wife, @Rute_Perdiz stumbled on a 3 consecutive posts limitation of the Forum and as such couldn’t post today progress.
Therefore I’ll be making the update for her:

She started the day by adding details to the balcony support structure and ornaments. After that she started fleshing it out the cap of the wind mill and made the structure for he Fan tail. Next week she’ll complete the fan tail and will start on the sails.

To be continued on Monday, so don’t loose the next episode because we won’t either :laughing:
Have a great Sunday everybody!

1 Like

Hi Rogerio and Rute! Cool project, keep up the great work! :slight_smile: