Resilience Satelle

Hey Bjarga! Thanks! The target is that concept indeed :slight_smile:
The waterfall is a sculpted object that uses a displace modifier, influenced by an animated procedural cloud texture to give it the movement.

After that I’ve reused the water material from the lagoon, but this time it gets an animated material on top for the foam, which Albedo, Specular, Roughness and Normal textures were painted in Gimp (it’s just white and black dots actually). Now that the principled shader has a transparency node I’ve just plugged to it a white to black transparency map that fades at the bottom.

The rest comes from the reflections.

When it’s done I’ll record a video :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Bernardo! Thanks! Feels reassuring to know that you are enjoying it! :smiley:

1 Like

Hello guys!

Today I started to texturize the balloon boat, but as there are so many different objects I am not finished yet.
There are materials we are still experimenting with to see which one will look better.
I hope tomorrow is completely over.

Hope you like it!
Best regards,
Rute Perdiz

2 Likes

Ok! Here goes the promised video. It’s only relative to the modeling and texturing of the waterfalls, still missing are the special effects for the foam and clouds, there ain’t any color correction too, it’s straight from the viewport:

Still with a lot of transparency z buffering issues (I’m using alpha blend, but need to test alpha Hashed, but if the camera doesn’t move they aren’t noticeable… if I shoot everything in tripods it won’t ever be a problem :laughing: …Not my style :cowboy_hat_face:
When the waterfalls were solid they didn’t look to jump so high from the lake. It’s because we are actually seeing trough the waterfalls in a zone that should be solid.

Shadows are also leaking here and there, but I’ve read that 2.81 will have these improved so they shouldn’t be a problem.
Until tomorrow!

Edit:
Ho! By the way, all water is in, all lakes, rivers and waterfalls are placed:

1 Like

Hello guys!

Finally I bring you the finished balloon boat.
We were experimenting with a few different textures so we could come up with the best fit.
I leave some pictures of the details.
Feel free to comment!

Hope you like it!
Best regards,
Rute Perdiz

3 Likes

Hello friends!

Here’s the most recent progress on the painting of the island.

Still not done, but it’s getting closer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Friends!
Ok! The far far away painting is done now (except if I get negative reviews from you hehe):

The towns now will need each to have a completely individual painting, with much more resolution for the shots seen from the ground/homes.
I’ve rendered an image in 4K for testing the paint quality, in the very highest resolution possible, and it looks like this:

Seems reasonable :slight_smile:

Note:
I’ve updated to blender 2.81 alpha and that completely broke the water, so you see it now flat and over mirrored :confused: It seems that the Bump maps were refactored and they now don’t do a thing :laughing: it’s something to look for later.

Until tomorrow!

3 Likes

Thank you, for taking the time for such detailed explanation. The animation looks great! Really coming together nicely. baloon pic number 3 is my favourite by the way :wink:

1 Like

Hello guys!

Today I bring you the boat that will be for Noam.
The concept was designed by Rogério Perdiz, and the initial modeling was done by Rui Teixeira and I just redid it based on his model.
I will add some objects to compose it.
At the moment I am adapting the original idea to my idea.

Hope you like it!
Best regards,
Rute Perdiz

2 Likes

…And today I’ve started painting the far far far away landscape:

Regarding the water problem it wasn’t related with the Bump vector at all.
The Mapping node now is different and the water uses 2 of them. When using one it works but if I try to use 2 it doesn’t… anyway it seems to be just a bug, continuing happily! :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

Hello guys!

Today I bring you Noam’s boat fully modeled.
We put buoys on the sides to make bumpers when he docked the boat.
Monday I’ll start texturing already.

Hope you like it!
Best regards,
Rute Perdiz

1 Like

Today I’ve been making experimentation’s with the ambiance clouds:

I’ve started by testing them by the easy way, using a noise texture connected to the principled volumetric shader:
Volumetric1
But… the easy way also gives less then optimal results :face_with_monocle: …therefore I’ll have to think about this one a bit more.

3 Likes

Hello guys!

Today I started to texturize Noam’s boat. I was hoping to finish it today but I couldn’t, because it has many pieces.
Tomorrow will be ready.

Hope you like it!
Best regards,
Rute Perdiz

4 Likes

Hello there Friends,

@Rute_Perdiz has completed the texturing for the Noam boat.
I’ve recorded a video to show the animation of the pedals, gears and chains. Some gears are a bit off timing now, but worry not, they are adjustable, so now it’s jut a matter of fine tuning it :slight_smile:
The rig was entirely made by me, back in 2009, and surprisingly (apart the minor timing issue) it still works just fine :smiley:

After the boat I’ve made some trees:

I’ve seen a tutorial (that I can’t seem to find anymore) that had some trees looking similar to these, so I decided to make some for RS :slight_smile: They look a bit weird shaped but that is because they were animated when I took the screen :yum: it’s like the wind.
In location they look like this:

Nothing too complex, they aren’t the main focus at all and will be barely seen (but they are still w.i.p of course).

Until tomorrow!

2 Likes

loving the environment! stunning work :scream:

just a little thing bugging me about boat paddle mechanics. the gear ratios look backward. wouldnt you want power over speed (small gear drives big gear)?

Hehe Thanks Daedalus_MDW! :smiley:
We’re glad your enjoying the ride!

About the gear ratios :face_with_monocle: I did was an active Mountain bike person for more than 5 years (which gave me no engineering knowledge about gears ratios except by the perspective of the end user lol)… if this would actually work!? I don’t know :blush:

The idea was making a combination of both.
Easy/light for Noam to pedal but big speed on the rear wheel.
I also didn’t want that Noam had to pedal too fast, I was looking for a relaxed pace, that still gave good speed to the rear wheel and that it does…
:roll_eyes: If Noam has to be strong as Arnold Schwarzenegger to move those pedals!? Probably… but we’ll never know hehe…

And… two things returned today :smiley:
Water noise is back, it was a bug with the UV mapping nodes on the new 2.81 alpha. I’ve used the UV option from the texture input node and all worked again just fine:

… clouds and mist still not to the point I would like, but it’s improving… :thinking:
Also back is my friend Steven Seagull :laughing::

That is also getting the revamped treatment, new painting and new rig.

3 Likes

Hello guys!

Today I bring you the kites placed on Tower Mountain.
I decided to put the Mushroom as a logo because the name of the island is “Mushroom Island”. I thought it would fit well.

Hope you like it!
Best regards,
Rute Perdiz

3 Likes

Hello Friends!
Today I’ve been making the Proxy version of the Noam Town, so that I can animate the characters with some visual reference:

The characters alone run from 20 to 28 fps, so I can only have very, very simple geometry as guide. The Proxies will also help to place fine detail things like fences and other things without the need of dealing with heavy stuff.

At this point is becoming clear that the Interactive zones will need to be made like Resident Evil, with fixed cameras and pre-rendered backgrounds (animated and static). I had some great ideas but none of them seems feasible for now… so it’s better stick with what it’s proven to work :cowboy_hat_face: but I’ll still attempt to make it feel fresh.

I’ve also kept improving and making tests on the overhaul ambient:

I’m using clouds from @Pixelshatter Procedural Cloudscape Generation in Cycles (now Eevee!) ,mixed with the ones I had made previously and I’ve also tried a tip from Simone Milano that kindly shared it on the facebook page “blender eevee realtime render engine” on a reply to a Noam town screenshot.

So clouds are… It’s not that they look bad :face_with_monocle: They just feel that could look better :thinking: …and a good indicator of that is Cycles Render that does make them look better lol.
Anyway, later I’ll give it another run.

3 Likes

Hello guys !

Today I bring you the location sign that gives us information about the population of the west side of the island.
I made it in a more rustic style to match the village.
Tomorrow will be over already.

Hope you like it!
Best regards,
Rute Perdiz

3 Likes