Rooftops [ Tutorial on page 2]

Did you jsut change your avatar, like 10 minutes ago?

Anywho, the camera position is good on a small scale, it has a feeling that someone took a photograph and didn’t really attempt to get a good angle, thats not a crit against you, its actually quite clever. Its just that enlarged you spend a few seconds checking all the corners of the picture to get everything in perspective, but then a gain the resolution of this monitor is small.

Ok… I don’t find myself doing that, but the image is quite small on my screen. Plus, I made it;)

And yes, I changed my avatar… why?:confused:

I just thought i was having an embarissing moment wherer your avatar had been different for the last threee days and i had only just noticed it. Lol.

Well, I’m asking.:smiley: Hope you’ve got a better way than modeling them one by one…

TheANIMAL: Oh, hahaha. :stuck_out_tongue:

Orinoco: Oh yes, I have a better method. I’ll explain it simply, and if you want more detail about a specific step, I’ll tell you.

TUTORIAL

1. First, model a shape like this. Try to make it look like it will"tile" (no pun intended), so that if you put them side by side they’d look like one long wavy piece. It’s ok if it’s not perfect; you can fix that later.

1. Add an array modifier as shown.

1. If it doesn’t match up perfectly, go into edit mode and move some verts until it tiles horizontally.

1. As shown, make it repeat as many times as you want.

1. Add a second array modifier, with similar values as mine, to make it layer on top. Jus like if you were laying down tiles.

1. Repeat!

Hope it helps. :slight_smile:

Awesome!
Great work on the picture first of all! Very pretty texturing AND modeling!

AND thanks for the tutorial!

I can see that being very useful!

-Chris

I like this tool :smiley: Thanks for the tutorial, blenditall :smiley:

magiciandude: Thanks.

Orinoco: No problem, and nice creation:)Adding moss makes them look really nice.
EDIT: I see you used a better method than me (tiles on top, tiles on bottom). Makes for better jumbling :slight_smile:

The interlocking combination tiles I think are a Chinese or Japanese invention, at least you see a lot of them in the orient. The type I made are the kind you see on roofs in South and Central America, Mexico and US Southwest. I think they originated in Spain, so you’d probably see them in Spain and Portugal, too. They do jumble well. In Japan, you might see a broken roof tile, but it’s rare to see one out of place.

Well, you sure know about roof tiles.:stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, and one more thing, if you don’t already know about the randomize loc rot size script, use that to jumble the tiles slightly:yes:

nice picture

Exxelent !
Exept.
The roof (the “red pieces” are soo symétric).
The windows (soo clean).

That’s all for me.

Moved to the gallery.

BgDM

Great tutorial,now i can make buildings with tiles,cool

maybe a tutorial on the dormer
covers brick roof,wood ,glass textures?
oops i see the bricks maybe it could be put in pdf form using free… openoffice

now All I need is a textureing tut, cuz those textures and are spectacular. btw love the render and tutorial.

If I may give one or two crits. It looks like someone took a broom swept the roof and building clean. Some more dirt or debris on the roof and walls would add just that bit of extra that I think this piece needs and the windows are a bit to reflective, but either way it looks good.

D.

Good image and thanks for the info… I takes some leap of mind to became aware of what array modifier can be used for… thanks, this was an eye opener.

What I was hoping for was more a tutorial on the way you did the various colors on each of the tiles. Did you apply the array modifier, and then UV map each one?

Please ignore this post.