Rooftops [ Tutorial on page 2]

this is a pretty good scene i have a question though how did you add the dirt with the empty

Thanks BgDM.

edwin: The glass textures are just cloud textures with stencil, and simple ps textures (of dirt streaks) set to affect refl. This makes it more realistic because the dirty parts of the window don’t reflect much light.
The wood textures are pretty much some photos I took of old wood;).

yor1001: Thanks. I can’t really write a texturing tutorial though, because most of them are basically tweaked photos. I’ve found the secret to realistic texturing is to get out there and take as many pictures of old stuff as possible. From there, it’s just making the different maps (usually simple photoshopping), and figuring out how to apply them to the objects nicely.

Djarielm: Thanks for your crits, and you are indeed right. If I ever can’t think of something to blend I just might come back to this and add some more dirt etc. But for now I will be working on other things…

ristesekuloski: It is a very useful tool. I myself didn’t figure out how useful it was until I did this project.

Tomohashi: I applied the array modifier, then made a “dark tile” material, “medium tile” and “light tile” (i.e., dark = burgundy, medium = red, light = red-orange). Then I just applied the materials randomly to different tiles. All 3 materials have the same moss texture, which was mapped with an empty. So no uv mapping required. Yessss.

Mosh: You mean on the tiles?

I think you should contribute with this to the 12th issue of BlenderArt, focusing on texturing.

Oh, a good idea. Hadn’t thought of that… it’s not too late, is it? (Don’t know much about how this mag works)

no, they are still taking contributions.

http://blenderart.org

Ah, excellent, thanks:yes:.

We would welcome a submission from you. In addition to submitting the image, would you be interested in writing a short “Making of” on this image.

It shows a great grasp of applying textures.

Oh, I didn’t know you were a member here:eek: (of course, it makes sense). A making of article sounds great, I’ll start writing asap.
It doesn’t say anything about this on the website, but is there a certain approx. word count you’re looking for?

I have been a member for a long time, but these days I spend more time lurking and checking out what everyone is doing, than posting.:cool:

Word count is as much as it takes to convey your message. In other words, don’t worry about it too much.

When you are finished, send it to me at [email protected]

blenditall - I found your tutorial in BAM 12 and found it really helpful - thanks a lot! Four stars from me.

/ Mats

EDIT: Thanks dreamsgate too, of course!

Thanks blenditall for the great tutorial :slight_smile:
The only question I have is how do you separate the roof tiles after the arrays so you can change the materials?

SiriusCreative: I applied the array modifier, which made all the tiles into one object. I then went into edit mode on that object, and seperated (Pkey) loose parts. This made each tile a different object.
Hope that helps you out:).

Thank you very much! That did indeed help :smiley:

Edit: Here’s a sample of how your tutorial helped me.
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/3793/roofrender1ga5.jpg

BTW…5 Stars :smiley:

Dude, that’s awesome!! Better than my tiles!:slight_smile: I’m glad some people are learning from my tutorial…
Why not post that in the tests section? ( Or better yet, make it part of a finished project:p)

Thanks :slight_smile: but hardly better than yours. You show more realism and detail.
I never thought of posting in the test section. I’ll go ahead and do that.
Finished project…hmm…maybe :wink:

This is very nice. It reminds me of a Canaletto-Is it somewhere in Italy?

richy76: Uh… it’s somewhere in my mind;). Not based on any place in particular.

Compare;

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/cgi-bin/WebObjects.dll/CollectionPublisher.woa/wa/largeImage?workNumber=NG127&collectionPublisherSection=work

Hmm, indeed that is similar. I hope you know I know there are places that look like this in the world. I just meant that I wasn’t using specific references.