Rune - Brush Manager

Rune is a brush manager for sculpting. It stores brushes and is easy to use.

• Fast and simple to run for every sculpting session.
  • Store and save sculpting brushes.
  • Add custom brushes/textures bought on BlenderMarket/ArtStation.
  • Some nice brushes (Stitches, Folds, Scratches) come with the addon.
  • Rune is a separate Pyside2 window.

Documentation
Discord Server

Shops:

Videos:

Pics:

13 Likes

Added commercial tag.

Hi
I need some help.
I just buy it, but after i install rune, blender give me this error
"
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.0\3.0\scripts\modules\addon_utils.py”, line 351, in enable
mod = import(module_name)
File “C:\Users\lijianjian01\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.0\scripts\addons\Rune_init_.py”, line 1, in
from . import UI
File “C:\Users\lijianjian01\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.0\scripts\addons\Rune\UI.py”, line 6, in
from . import RuneBase
File “C:\Users\lijianjian01\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.0\scripts\addons\Rune\RuneBase.py”, line 8, in
from . import PresetsWindow # Presets Window Class
File “C:\Users\lijianjian01\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.0\scripts\addons\Rune\PresetsWindow.py”, line 10, in
from . import WindowBase
File “C:\Users\lijianjian01\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.0\scripts\addons\Rune\WindowBase.py”, line 7, in
from PySide2 import QtCore, QtGui, QtWidgets
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘PySide2’
"
Do i miss somethings to make it work ?

Hi,
Yes. It says that the PySide2 library is not installed. Please install the PySide2 library. It’s described in documentation. Make sure you have write access to the Blender folder.

Please, write here if all works fine for you.

Hi, I just bought it and installed it step by step, but when I pressed each brush icon, it didn’t change, and I also didn’t know how to move the window, please tell us more how to use it, thank you!
BTW, I got a warning when I installed PySide2, is there something wrong?

1 Like

Hi Lai,

Thanks a lot.

Make sure you have an absolute path.

Move a border of the Rune window to move the window.

Check console if there are any errors:

About the PySide2: it’s hard to say what warning you had but if the Rune window runs then all is fine.

1 Like

Also, make sure you have Blender 3.0-3.2.

Hey there,

I am running into an issue with installation. I was finally able to get Blender 3.0 to accept the PySide2 install (had to add Python to my system path and use the “–python-use-system-env” switch when launching Blender) and that part seems okay, but I am unable to actually install the Rune Addon via Blender’s Addon Manager. I have tried selecting each and every one of the .py files in the Rune folder, but none of them actually add an entry for me to then Enable and adjust the file path for the brushes. Unfortunately the Installation instructions completely skip this part, and jumps right to confirming the brush path. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Hi Arturis,
Could you please try to instal the zip file in the addons? It should work.

Okay, after trying the zip several times, I deleted it and redownloaded, and then it worked. Sorry to bother you.

1 Like

Hey mifth,

I just purchased the Rune Brush add-on. I use Blender both on a Mac and Windows.

Installing PySide2 library on the Mac is not working. I have not tried installing on Windows yet.

Do you know if your Rune add-on will work on a Mac? If so, what are the instructions for installing PySide2 library on a Mac?

Thanks!

Hi,
I tested on linux and all was fine. I assume it should work on Mac also. How did you install the Pyside2?
Did you use my guide in the documentation?

Please, send me log.

Last night, I followed the Documentation instructions and used the Option 1 install:

This gave me a string of red letter errors so I assumed it didn’t work.

This morning, I tried looking for the PySide2 folder on my computer to see if maybe it actually installed. The path is different on a Mac but I think I found it.

I was then able to successfully run the Rune add-on in Blender 3.0! :grinning:

First impressions…Comparing what I’m seeing on a Mac to what is shown in the demo video, I think there are some problems that are not happening on PC.

1. I’m able to move the Rune brush window around my screen but the the brush “window” is short and has a tiny scroll bar on the side.

2. There’s no black dot at the corner of the Rune window and I’m unable to scale up the brush window or make it vertical.

3. I’m not sure exactly how to import my own custom brushes or custom brush icons. Is there a way to make the Rune Brush window larger so the Icons get larger?

4. Unlike in the Demo video, my Rune Window has “Base” on the right side instead of the left side - so the tabs are in a different order for some reason.

Is there a way to manually order the tabs, or delete/add tabs to customize?

1. One last thing, the Rune brush window appears in Blender, but when I minimize the Blender window, the Rune window stays on my desktop and actually stays on top of any other application. For instance, I see the Rune Brush window now as I’m typing in the browser window.

I’m excited to use the Add-On. I’ll install it on my Windows PC and use it there for now. Thanks for your attention!

Oh, it looks buggy on Mac.

I assume you copied the PySide2 from other Python.

Probably, you need to run Blender as an administrator and run the Option 1.

Or try Option 2 in Console. But You need to find Blender’s python executable file as I described in the doc.

Thanks, I’ll try that method.

Currently it seems that creating new brushes is quite cumbersome.

1. Change to a brush that you’ve appended to the current scene
  2. Copy the name of the brush to the clipboard
  3. Click the New Brush button in Rune
  4. Paste the name of the brush into the Rune name prompt
  5. Take note of the directory and filename that Rune has set for the brush icon in Blender (not the Rune icon for the brush)
  6. Hide the Presets Window
  7. In Explorer copy the brush icon file to both the Rune/Icons and Blender-brush icon directories.
  8. In Explorer copy the brush texture file (if any) to the appropriate Rune directory
  9. Show the Presets Window again
  10. Select the new brush in the Rune window and click Set Icon
  11. Look at the icon filename of the Blender brush and mouse-over the list of Rune icons until you find the matching one, click it.
  12. Done.

That’s… very complicated to do for every single brush. I hope I’m missing something here!

What I’d like to see is more like:

1. Change to a brush that you’ve appended to the current scene
  2. Click the New Brush button in Rune
  3. Rune does everything else - using the current name of the brush, copying the existing icon and textures to the correct locations, etc.

Even better would be if Rune could display a multi-select list of all the brushes in the Blender file and then do the above steps for them all in one click. I have several brush packs with hundreds of brushes in each pack (the largest having 563!).

@Nutter , apologies for a delay. Oh, unfortunately there is some handiwork to create a new brush. Sorry for that. Atm, I see no way to improve it better. I’m very sorry.

@mifth: Here’s a patch for Rune v01 with a new Add Brush button that does everything automatically. It could do with some UI cleanup (as I left the existing New Brush button there, and that’s confusing) and testing, but I hope it can be rolled into future offical updates.

I’ve also fixed a bug with the position of the Presets Window, where it’d be off-screen for certain multi-mon setups.

Rune_v01-add-brush-patch.zip (6.6 KB)

3 Likes

Cool Patch! Really love how it works.
But there is one problem, when you add an Orb brush for example, the brush name becomes RuneB.xxx
It would be cool if the original brush name was preserved

I’ve released a new version of the Rune brush manager addon.

• A window position and size are stored in Blender now.
  • Scrolling brushes with dragging them.
  • New Brush function was reworked. Thanks a lot to @Nutter.
  • Some new parameters in the addon segttings.
  • Some bug fixes.

Thanks a lot @Nutter for your contribution!