Saving a Vertex Group select selects whole object rather than chosen faces

I have this collar, I’ve selected only the top and bottom rings, I click new group and assign.

When I then deselect and select via the group, it selects all this.

What am I doing wrong?

It’s a vertexmap it only stores and select vertices. So when you have selected the upper ring and lower Ring in face mode i looks like you have not selected the middle ring but if you change to vertexmode you will see that all vertices is selected. I have not tested this myself but I think you should try to use face maps instead it should work as expected as it store face information.

4 Likes

I see that, you’re right, in vertex mode it selects the edges between them. I used face maps and it worked just fine, I’m still new to the program so I’m confused by just about everything. Thanks for the help!

We are all beginners at some point. I have only used Blender for about 2.5 years but I have used other 3D apps for about 25 years. I can say for sure that you never get to the point when you know everything. When you do 3D you constantly have to learn new things and find workarounds, but it’s fun. Just keep at it and never give up and you will get to the point where you can solve most of the things by yourself. Until then, just ask as much as you need. Good luck!

1 Like

I’ve just discorved Face Maps, do you know how it would be useful?

If you need to temporarily store arbitrary selections, you can use this add-on:

/shameless_plug

1 Like

I’ve not used them myself but I imagine it is perfect for this particular case when you want certain faces selected that’s not working with only vertex maps. I’m not sure how much of the software support facemaps, like modifiers and such.

ok thanks, I guess I’ll discover sooner or later :wink: