Geo-Scatter - 5.4 Scatter Groups

Just changed this following your remarks, no more drop down!

You are missing an important detail!
only the following combinations can work

solid viewport #== no optimization on rendered and final render
solid viewport + rendered view #== only optimization on final render
solid viewport + rendered view + final render #== optimization constantly, also on final render

Having only the “render” option toggled would mean that an optimization feature is only active during the final render, but not during the viewport, which simply does not make any sense

Noice!

I prefer your first example with the arrows on the left. It’s more consistent with the rest of Blender and Blender’s UI-UX consistency is one of its biggest strengths imo.

Sorry, bad phrasing on my part. I was not pointing out the fact that there’s one dropdown per feature. On that part I agree with you. By “dispatched” I meant scattered in the UI.
Imagine if the Outliner had the screen and eye icons hidden inside each object contents rather than on the right side. That’s how the current “Feature visibility” options are scattered (taking the concept of Scatter a bit too far :exploding_head:).

My “Collapse Arrow” proposal was only meant for the features that have those “Feature Vsibility” options.
If those options are on the right side of the feature’s name rather than scattered around (cf my mockup), the ability to forcibly collapse each feature starts to make sense, as it lets you see a condensed view of what is enabled for what type of viewport/render and change it more easily, similarly to how the Outliner works.

On the other hand, there would be no need to forcibly collapse each feature under “Rotation” or “Scale” since they wouldn’t have anything on their right side.

I see your point, especially for Image culling since you have to set up a UV map, then generate an image file and then set up your UI to paint on that image. Definitely too cumbersome for viewport optimization. For the other features under Culling Mask though, I’m not as sure, since they’re fairly quick to set up.

It used to be that selecting faces in Weight Paint mode was way more performant than in Edit Mode (back in Blender 2.7x), but now the opposite seems to be true, although both are slow as **** on a large terrain. However :point_up:, this made me notice that painting a mask (or a face set) in Sculpt Mode is ridiculously faster than anything, so I think that would be interesting to investigate for a quicker viewport optimization feature.

Interesting. So the categorization might have to change completely. Maybe it should be by “method” rather than scattering properties and each method would have a list of the scattering properties to be affected, similar to how textures in the old particle system can influence various particle properties at various levels:

Oh boy. I think my brain is starting to overheat because that’s very interesting but I’m not sure how this point is related to my proposal.

Yaaay! Thanks

Oh yeah? Well I’ll have you know… that… that that is correct.

1 Like

Related because you’re trying to redesign the culling-mask category :slight_smile: But this category is a bit special

Interesting. So the categorization might have to change completely.

Maybe

Yes, a lot are still waiting for the devs to optimize this part…
looks like Pablo didn’t want to optimize the other vertex paint modes for some reasons

Or this ? hmm

Capture d’écran 2022-07-29 041322

Just wanted to say thank you for your brilliant add-on. It makes working with environment renders so much more enjoyable. I relied heavily on it for my last two projects. Here is the latest one. I probably used two dozens of various scatter systems from manual over preset to biome systems to scatter basically anything from moss to trees. Hope you guys like it.

6 Likes

I don’t think we should expect Vertex Paint, Weight Paint or Edit Mode performance to match Sculpt Mode, like, ever. Partly because these other modes have to display overlays for vertices and faces (+ edges for Edit mode) while Sculpt mode doesn’t need any of that. And I bet there are other fundamental reasons. So I think Sculpt Mode masking for Scatter should be explored.

Yes, that’s an improvement for me, thanks!

1 Like

Having some trouble with Manual Scatter, particularly Lasso Fill. The bounding area does not appear when I try to create the lasso area, and no objects get scattered on my emitter. Although my instance count goes up, and the browser “blinks” as though something has happened.

I have a video of it that I’d like to share but it says I can’t upload because I’m a new user.

This is a trully stunning work! Can’t wait to see more!

Having some trouble with Manual Scatter, particularly Lasso Fill. The bounding area does not appear when I try to create the lasso area, and no objects get scattered on my emitter. Although my instance count goes up, and the browser “blinks” as though something has happened.

Hi @Eric_Giordano
Sorry for your issues,

You could contact us on the blendermarket and send us a google drive or wetransfer link for example :slight_smile: A .blend file would be welcome

how do i fixed the 5.2 version frame range
whenever i move the time frame (first frame / last frame) the wind animation change
so when i stop my render midway then resume (by changing the first frame) it’ll change the animation… and the wind will be different between first render and second
this is dumb way to animate
or is there a a way to bake the animation into keyframe or something?

Hello, yes that is to be expected because the wind animation is looping
do you wish that we add an option to disable this feature maybe?

If i understood correctly, you are changing the first/end frame in order to render in multiple parts instead of rendering your animation in one go?

Hey Folks,
we’re working hard on S5.3, don’t hesitate to share your feature request or feedback :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yes… that is correct
spitting render in 5.2 is bad
waiting for next release :smiley:

I can confirm that the constant animation type, which you need, will be available in Scatter5.3
I just implemented the option tonight :slight_smile: If you’re in a hurry, we could pass you an experimental build

1 Like

May I suggest to have like a feature request workboard?
It could be easier for the users to see what features/suggestions you have writen down.

Just in case I have a feature request/change:

• In manual mode, spray brush tools has F for radius unlike chain tools that uses F for dot distance.
    I think the tools shorcuts should be consistent among the tools.
  • While holding Ctrl+F to change the dot distance with the spray brush, would be great on mouse event if we move the mouse up/down changes the random seed of those points.
  • Would it be possible to add like a proportional edit settings for the move tools and the scale grow/shrink tools?
1 Like

Hi Juan,
thanks for the suggestions :slight_smile:

Jakub is responsible for the manual module, let me ping him @carbon2

• In manual mode, spray brush tools has F for radius unlike chain tools that uses F for dot distance.
    I think the tools shorcuts should be consistent among the tools.

Dot distance does not have a radius, we thought it seems intuitive to consider the distance as radius

While holding Ctrl+F to change the dot distance with the spray brush, would be great on mouse event if we move the mouse up/down changes the random seed of those points.

The little crosses in the gizmo does not accurately represents the points,
they are only a GUI representation of the density,
the seed will be always random when spraying

Would it be possible to add like a proportional edit settings for the move tools and the scale grow/shrink tools?

Controlling the transition with a falloff graph is indeed something we are looking for
we are not sure yet if python can handle real time interpolation for the move brush tho

for tools such as the spray brush or grow/shrink, it seems like a good idea

1 Like

Hello, are the Vertical Scapes Biomes already fixed in 5.3?

Yes they will :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey folks
did we mention Scatter5 is currently 25% OFF ? :eyes:

We also have some good news, it looks like Scatter5.3 will thoroughly incorporate a “multi-emitter” option into the pipeline! We’re hard at work on the task

7 Likes

Hey folks,
i did a tutorial on how you can create & share your own biomes in S5
it willl be public tomorrow, let me know if you have some feedback about the video :slight_smile:

Cheers

6 Likes

Hi @BD3D

I just saw it is crystal clear!
IMHO if you will collect more tutos like this I would do it shorter, like you have 1 minute intro that I would take out, but just my impresion, otherwise super clear and useful.

Cheers

1 Like

Hello Dorian,
I cant edit multiple layers by using the ALT key and I dont know why?
It used to work this way but since I installed 5.2 a few days ago it seems like it has no influence anymore.
I activate the layers I want to change, click on “camera optimization” for example but only one layer changes.
Did you somehow change the system and I have to hold another button?

Hope you can help me because changing 7 layers one by one is a bit tedious :wink:

Best regards,

Fabian

1 Like