Seemlessly activate window with multiple monitors

Hello, I updated the tool to check instance by process id instead of filenames, it should work better for those who got the bug.

Hey, greg2fs, thanks for developing this. It works great! It is indeed one of those things so basic and should be a default behavior in Blender.

One nice addition, albeit minor, would be a support for other instances of Blender.
This application works when you have windows from the same Blender instance across multiple monitors, but if you have one Blender instance on one monitor, and another instance on another monitor, you get the old behavior.

Sorry 0o00o0oo I think itā€™s not as annoying when you have two instance because your are not supposed to go from one to another so oftenā€¦

Huh I had to install fresh windows and I lost this neat tool in the progress, god bless I still found this thread and was able to download it again :smiley:

This may be asking a lot, but is there any way this could be redone for blender 3.1.2 as this is STILL not implemented in the base build or any other addon/fix. This fix doesnā€™t seem to be working for me for Windows 10. It will allow automatic transition back to the main window from the duplicated window, but still have to manually click for the duplicate window to be used again. If you even see this Iā€™d be surprised! But this is still plaguing multi screen users it seems :frowning: TIA!

ActiveMultiscreen.zip (55.0 KB)
Hello, itā€™s still nice to see one of my work help other people, can you try this new version ?

2 Likes

Trying to get it downloaded but now getting the Trojan warning, where as I was not for the other files you uploaded. Got to find out what to do there, then Iā€™ll give it a shot.

Got it white listed and itā€™s working properly, thank you! Truly saves so much frustration. Canā€™t believe this is not a standard option yet.

Nice to know it works well, donā€™t know why it is detected as it is really simple, I removed several functions from the original one, it now just check the screen where is the mouse, find the blender instance in this screen and put it in foregroundā€¦

This is brilliantā€¦thank you for sharing this, @greg2fs! :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

As others have said, this should be the standard built-in behavior for Blender on Windows. I canā€™t tell you how many thousands of future mouse clicks youā€™ve saved me!

1 Like

Hello, I just tried the last shared version of this tool and it seems to do its job in Blender, so thanks a lot for that. I just wanted to bring to your attention a bug that Iā€™m experiencing.
I use Windows 10, two monitors and multiple virtual desktops.
When I use your tool on the virtual desktop where Blender is open, everything works just fine. But when I switch to anothe virtual desktop, the blender icon on the taskbar starts flashing orange until I jump back to the virtual desktop where Blender is.
Unfortunately this annoying flashing orange feature canā€™t be disabled in Windows 10, so unfortunately for me this tool is not very usable in my case, as it fixes a distraction on one hand and it creates another one on the other.

Thank you very much again for the work you kindly shared witht the community, I just hope the Blender foundation will eventually implement it properly in the software.