Short animation: The Last Beer

A short animation I have made with my friend about a knight and his last pint of beer ever. Created in Blender 2.90 and rendered with Eevee.

This node setup is for the table material. Rest of the materials were following a similar pattern.

29 Likes

Brilliant idea. nicely animated.

2 Likes

Very nice animation. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

very good!

1 Like

Amusing, nice job.

1 Like

Haha :joy:, nice animation, and I enjoyed the story telling.

1 Like

Thank you all kindly

Excellent! Great timing and animations of the environment. And funny too.

aw man that was great :joy: the slamming of the fists and the mug was A+ mate, great work!

Thanks guys. I must say though, even though materials, lighting and animations were very challenging, it was actually the sound we had most trouble with. Two complete amateurs trying to create and synchronize sounds so they are just a bit believable… :smiley: fun.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Cheers, you too :slight_smile:

1 Like

how did you get the hand drawn look? This is exactly what ive been trying to get in my renders. Also aamazing job!

Hi, thank you :slight_smile: as for the look, it is pretty much summed up in that node setup of table material. This was the base that made up all of the shaders. so for example, for the knight, I took some color and normal maps of metal and plugged them into principal shader and then using colorramp gave them toon-like style. Then in order to get those lines in the darker area, I used the part of the node setup you see in frame “lines”. It creates lines and multiplies them with calculated color of the mesh, but show up only in the darker areas thanks to that middle colorramp. also, ambient occlusion gave it a better look.

2 Likes

wow, that is a really smart approach, thanks tons! this is really going to help me in the future!

No problem! Good luck, make something nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

really cool!

A nice idea, it’s funny with out trying too hard.

Thanks for this funny short. The character is :heart_eyes: the mug sliding in is :cowboy_hat_face:. The candle material doesn’t look quite as good as the rest in my opinion. When the straw slides in, maybe try it starting at a higher speed and slowing down faster. I also thought there was some sort of causal relation between sucking the beer and collapsing; if it was his battle wounds that did him in, maybe just raise the hand on the side of the axe. It looked like brain freeze to me.

1 Like

Thanks guys, also for the suggestions. The straw, its speed and so on, I tinkered with it for quite some time I had the knight rotate, it was all set and then I thought I maybe should indeed make it roll faster, but when I did, suddenly the knight did not match (I should have tracked the straw but coordinate system was somehow messed up and i ended up with the character upside down, so I did it manually) and I thought, whatever, and left it as it was. We have actually been trying to simulate the sound by rotating an uneven roll on a wooden floor and were really unable to match the speed of the animation :smiley: As for what did him in, it was indeed the beer. It was quite strong and potent and with all the blood loss he just got blood poisoning and died :smiley:

1 Like