Sites that are SELLING Blender

Tremendous Detective work !! But do you believe everything you read on a website ?

Somebody, send a package full of poop to his P.O.Box

They sell the trainning series, so it is not just the Blender Package. That’s a huge difference. However changing the name from Blender to “whatever 3D” makes it look a bit tricky.

I have only one thing to say:

WTF !?

On the disclaimer page not only is the blender source tarball available but there is this

By using or acessing this website, the game or promotional items you irrevocably agree to be governed by the laws and statutes of New Zealand.

That’s scary… does it involve SHEEP… couldn’t help myself…

Except that mister “Seth Avery” was called “Cody Landon” back when “IllusionMage” was still called “3DMagix”.

One thing that’s clear is that by using copyrighted material and claiming it’s his own (see Ton’s letter at Blender.org) this guy is in violation of the Terms of Service of his provider, namecheap.com. One could send a POLITE and BUSINESSLIKE email to abuse(at)namecheap.com pointing out these TOS violations. One could include a link to Ton’s page. Many domain registrars take such abuse seriously as it opens them up to lawsuits and will take down pages that are in violation.

Older blogpost about reporting abuse to namecheap

Domain information for illusionmage.com:

=-=-=-=
Visit AboutUs.org for more information about ILLUSIONMAGE.COM
<a href=“http://www.aboutus.org/ILLUSIONMAGE.COM”>AboutUs: ILLUSIONMAGE.COM</a>

Registration Service Provided By: Namecheap.com
Visit: http://namecheap.com

Domain name: ILLUSIONMAGE.COM

Registrant Contact:
DomainAdministrator
Domain Administrator ()

Fax:
Box 10491 A.P.O.
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands B.W.I.
KY, KY Box 10491 A.P.O
KY

Administrative Contact:
DomainAdministrator
Domain Administrator ([email protected])
+1.5281029920
Fax: +1.5555555555
Box 10491 A.P.O.
KY, KY Box 10491 A.P.O
KY

Technical Contact:
DomainAdministrator
Domain Administrator ([email protected])
+1.5281029920
Fax: +1.5555555555
Box 10491 A.P.O.
KY, KY Box 10491 A.P.O
KY

Here is the Ton’s explanation

Click here

lol, do they even sell many copies?

I saw an ad for a group that was charging $100 for a blender training course… The things they were going to teach were the same stuff I learned from free tutorials!! How can someone charge so much to teach a free software?

Slugs misleading the misinformed. Sad fact, like politicians and used car salesmen. Buyer beware.

And colleges charge you to learn what you could get from books!!! Is there no end?!?!!?
Seriously, with a never ending war going on, corporations buying up government, ineffective politicians and a dying planet we still have rage left for this? It’s small potatoes. Everyone should move on.

they are aware of that problem and can’t do anything to stop it as the cost would be too much. so that site is bound to continue on scamming people like no tomorrow. grrrr

What has the cost of the software got to do with the cost of the training?
I suppose with your logic no-one should put out free tutorials for any paid software.
If someone wants to be rewarded for their time creating tutorials, that’s their choice, and if someone wants to give their work for free, again that’s their choice.

$100 might actually be worth it for some people, as long as the quality is good. Learning blender on your own requires time, and if you have a well paid job, your free time is indeed quite expensive.
Also, for many people, turning your money back into time can be much harder than turning your time into money

I am all for people making with blender through artwork, training and services with this outstanding piece of coding, but in my opinion this particular avenue of money making does really drive me up the wall. I can understand that the person has “compiled” and collected several sources material, but is that task really worth it to some guilible person, and the credibility of blender itself is undermined. I can acknowledge that I have some many books in my own personal collection, whom I have no intention of ever referencing or glancing again let alone going through it, and that I bought impulsely, and I sincerely hope that the material offered here will not go in the same compartment to a buyer.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, i was referring to this:

so are they selling the software but not distributing it to the buyers?

Amazingly expansive of Ton and Blender-- and the entire FOSS movement, indeed-- to offer these resources to the world. Perhaps protectionist legal measures take more time/energy/resources than they may be worth.

While *I have no patience for this type of opportunism, I have meanwhile given *very little back for what I’ve received so far.
Perhaps [I/we] should wait till [I/we] have returned something to the Foundation.

Nonviolence and Open Source are unnatural concepts to the West and difficult to adopt. I will further onward and try to avoid any further energy on this particular cretin…
and I will commit to teach blender3D to someone in order to replace the rage.

If you’re going to spend $100 for a training course, it’s worthless. Save up the money, and go to actual professionals. Like an actual 3D animation school.