Smart Select - 1.4.4 This update fixes the install issue and select mouse problems

OK well, in the interest of documentation, I modelled all day in Blender 2.93 today, same configuration as before with one exception… I turned down “Undo Steps” in my preferences from 64 to 32 to see if that would help stability. Smart Select was enabled (I really can’t be going without it), and was probably invoked a few-thousand times. Today, Blender only crashed once, and it was not while specifically using a Smart Select function, nor while performing an undo. TBH, I can live with one or two random crashes per day… that’s at least as good, if not better, than ZBrush and most other tools I regularly use. So, I’ll leave it there and only report back if I can specifically trace an issue to Smart Select. Cheers.

What happend to the features that were about to be added? Like edge loops being able to be selected through intersecting points like on a uv sphere (top). Or the preview of the selection before the action is confirmed?

Do you have a link to the post or video where these features were mentioned?

Sure, in the first post in here under “upcoming features” and here on vimeo https://vimeo.com/166128361 3:15 onwards

Jimmy doesnt react to my emails so yeah…

Thanks. I only had access to the official version of Smart Select when I started working on the code, so I can’t comment on what happened to those planned features.

A “select through intersecting edge” would be nice. I’m not as sure about a “preview selection” option. This seems like something that would get too laggy to be useful in most real world workflows.

Ok understood but maybe a preview of some kind can be implemented as a experimental feature or so :slight_smile:

Can you comment on the toggle selection option thats inside the prefs? Its mapped to shift alt lmb and I cant really understand what I really does. Ive unmapped the select edge loop blender vanilla command, which is on the same shortcut combo, because I thought it would hinder the proper functionality but no luck understanding it.

And the gumroad page speaks about “Loop select works on everything from a simple box to complex shapes, use Alt+MMB to grow selection.” And I dont think that actually works since this combo does nothing on my end

It’s supposed to add selections to (or remove selections from) the current selected geometry. This should work similar to how Blender’s default Shift Click works for selecting geometry, but with Smart Select functionality.

I’m not sure, but my guess would be this is a typo and the sentence was supposed to be about the “Ctrl+MouseWheelUp” option that increases the selection angle “Sharpness” limit.

Hi Smart Selects devs. In this morning’s modeling session, Blender (2.92) definitely crashed while using a Smart Select feature. I was working on very simple, low poly geometry at the time - a cylinder (to become a rifle barrel), and all I did was perform Smart Loop select on an edge loop in anticipation of adding a bevel to the cylinder. Blender crashed during Smart Loop Select, and the crash log (attached here) says this clearly. Again, this doesn’t exactly count as a “consistently repeatable behaviour” and Smart Select works for me probably 99 times out of 100 without crashing, but then suddenly you’re gazing at your desktop where 1 second prior you were modeling away.

I’ve attached the full crash log - maybe it can provide some insight? ModellingSession_1.10_21May21.crash.txt (41.2 KB)

Here’s the Python Traceback log:

Python backtrace

File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.92\2.92\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py”, line 130 in call
File “C:\Users\jonny\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.92\scripts\addons\smart_select\tools\smart_loop_select.py”, line 56 in invoke
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.92\2.92\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py”, line 130 in call
File “C:\Users\jonny\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.92\scripts\addons\smart_select\tools\smart_select.py”, line 52 in execute_release
File “C:\Users\jonny\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.92\scripts\addons\smart_select\utils\sticky_key.py”, line 37 in modal

Thanks for the report. Would you also be able to upload the particular blend file you were working on that caused the crash? If you can’t share it publicly, you can PM me a copy of the file. If neither of those options work, a similar version of the file or a screenshot of the geometry that caused the crash might also work.

Anyone run into this issue in 2.93.5?
Happens almost every time I try to double-click to select flat area, sometimes it works but Im having a hard time replicating it exactly.

If it works one time it seems to work on subsequent attempts provided I dont exit edit mode, if I exit edit mode or switch mesh it stops working.

1 Like

@nBurn and @jimpaw80 - Any chance of a Smart Select update for the big release of Blender 3.0? I was generally struggling with Blender stability while running Smart Select in the 2.90 era. But after 2 weeks of using Blender 3.0 without Smart Select… it’s painful! Smart Select is probably the single most useful/practical plugin in my setup, and now that I’ve spent over 5 years using it, well… my Blender experience is very diminished without it.

1 Like

Yep seems to be some issues on 3.0 +

Really sorry for the late reply. I have not been looking at this addon for ages. I will do my best to get some things rollin soon. Sorry for all the waiting.

Kindly // Jimmy

4 Likes

I was just about to buy this but im using 3.0. When wil you possibly update the addon?

Any word on a possible update?

Just updated to Blender 3.4.1 and I’m encountering this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\CybranM\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.4\scripts\addons\smart_select\persistent_preferences.py", line 25, in load_post_handler
    bpy.app.handlers.depsgraph_update_post.remove(load_post_handler)
ValueError: list.remove(x): x not in list

Anyone know how to fix it?

This is one of the BEST add-ons in blender. I was hoping jimmy can give us an update on the pre-selection? I was just watching a video where you talked about this coming soon and I think that video is years old now? Would LOVE to see this feature. Not only does it look cool, it’s very handy to have.

Love all the smart addons as well btw!

2 Likes

Every time I see an update to this thread, I have a little spark of hope for an update. Sadly, this plugin has been dead for years and, even before that, it had been getting buggy due to lack of maintenance. To this day, I know of no other plugin that so elegantly assists in selection - particularly, my favourite feature: “fill select”. The closest active commercial equivalent out there is called “Power Select”. It’s not as intuitive for me to use (especially with my wacom tablet based workflow), but it’s an upgrade from Blender’s stock selection features.

I do dearly wish that Smart Select could be resurrected for the Blender 4+ era. Blender still not having native fill select after all these years is beyond the pale… it’s so basic a feature it’s as if the devs have never attempted to use another 3D software before.

2 Likes