sméagol/gollum [Yeah! update at page 10]

no radiosity! and of course, i render all my works in blender.

Stefano: about textures: i did a spherical unwrap, exported the UV layout, changed the resolution to 5000x5000 [my computer likes that grr]. then i paint some black lines and it’s done. easy! :slight_smile:
about the inside of the mouth: okay, gonna do that [wheee more stuff to work on!] :wink:

update: added eyes and tested some hair strands, but not satisfied with both!

the hair needs to clump together a different color and maybe i have to add a disp map… and of course MORE fibers! :o

the eyes look too flat, even though i ran my whole extended pixar eye progamm on them. :x

.andy

look at this work in progress done by a French dude, …

http://le_banni.3dvf.net/VRAC/compobuste5.jpg

i wonder why everyone wanna make a gollum :slight_smile:

@ndy - Very nice work, I love the definitions in the geometry =) Bump map is coming along quite well, can’t wait for updates! =)

[a]drien - would you mind either not direct linking or linking to a smaller version of that picture? That picture is huge, and really clogging up the thread (and my modem), and if you didn’t notice, Meltdown posted a link to the same site before you.

Amazing, simply amazing. Very good job on the textures, what resolution are they?

Wow, andy as usual, Kick ass work!

And isnt it fun making CG models of CG models? :stuck_out_tongue:

mr_rob - Read above a bit harder =P

Stefano: about textures: i did a spherical unwrap, exported the UV layout, changed the resolution to 5000x5000 [my computer likes that grr]. then i paint some black lines and it’s done. easy!

Oops! Thanks for pointing that out.

Because Gollum is the sexiest man alive, silly! :wink: And right now I__ think @ndy is second sexiest for having remade him :stuck_out_tongue:

I think you really captured a character in this model, that is really not easy to do… those eyes are creepy in just the right way :o

If I can ask, @ndy, how did you make the head UVmap? I tried to UVmap a head with a spherical unwrap, but it didn’t work because of the nose, mouth, and ears. Did you move the UV points individually?

Anyway, this is awesome… keep going!

just a spherical unwrap?? without moving uv’s?? how come you’ve got no stretching anywhere?

• Bentagon

Isn’t it smeagul when he’s got blue eyes? and then gollum with the green? (I can’t realy remember because it’s been so long since I’ve read the books) the model that the french guy made isn’t all that good.

BTW: I don’t think that there is any reason to comment on it since we all know that it looks great.

Adrien: i’ve already submitted the french link :slight_smile:

Could you post your UV-layout @ndy? I just don’t trust all this “just drew some lines” buisness :wink:

It’s an uncredible work @ndy :smiley: [!]
I like the model but I think it lacks something :expressionless: . The shadows on the face should be hotter ( like white-red, a soft red).
I’m going to give you a little trick I found on shaders-settings :wink: to obtain some fake SSS and back-light:
[>] First active raymirror then apply these settings:
>raymir: 0.5
fresnel: 1.5
fac: 2.0
[>] active your render: If all has succed you will notice that you have something like backlight-halo all around your character, it’s because of the raymirror smoothed by the fresnel value. You can change the halo color by setting the Mircolor. Here, the backlight should be red so you have to set a red Mir-color :stuck_out_tongue: .

I hope I helped you with my tut @ndy!!

I think it would be cooler if the eyes were more clouded… like he had cataracts… he is described that way in the Hobbit.

I agree with plantPerson, Gollum’s eyes are much too dark. In the movie they sometimes looked almost white, they were very pale, only the pupil what black, not the iris.
For the hair, i don’t know what’s wrong, maybe it doesn"t look enough dirty ?

Anyway, you did a really great modeling job.

make the skin look a little more fleshy and alive. It s so pale now…
Extremely cool model though.

Wowzers, great work so far @ndy! I have nothing to critique on at the moment, I am liking the style of this. Keep us updated!

-Natron

this is very nice work @ndy.keep it goin.

Yes, UV layout, please.

Anywho, of all those gollums I like @ndy’s best, except of course for weta’s :slight_smile:

Looks awesome so far, nothing really to critique on at the moment. Great job so far!

-Antiggo