Solutions to common problems

I’m hoping this belongs here, but latley i’ve been trying my hand at animation, and for some reason, once I add an armature, and I wanna assign some vertices, I can’t get back into mesh editing mode, from the tutorials i’ve read you have to select the mesh and enter edit mode, but that never seems to work… :frowning:

Anyone have any suggestions?

For Windows:
If you install the drivers for your card, and the python script still tells you that you are using the crappy default drivers that come with Windows, check in Display Properties -> Advanced -> Troubleshoot that you have your hardware acceleration set correctly (probably should always be in FULL).

And if you try to set the acceleration to FULL and the computer freezes, trying going to Display Properties -> Advanced -> General and in the Compatibility box where it says After I change display settings, choose to restart the computer before applying the new display settings. Then set your acceleration to FULL, reboot, and pray that it solves your problems like it has done to mine :smiley:

It’s all my graphics card problem here posts.

Wish it had answers to the same questions we see posted every day on this board.

Such as “Transparency doesn’t work.”, or “What is Yafray?”, or “Why does UV mapping look weird?”

Is there a picking bug?!
When in edit mode I can’t select some or most vertexes and edges but I can select daces easy!
EDIT: graphics card problem… How can that be… [!]

Okay…this may not be a ‘common’ problem, but it was damned sure a ‘frustrating’ one. And to help any others avoid these issues:

Installing Yafray on linux, if you come across the error: Cannot open libyafraycore.so, file not found (or whatever the exact verbiage is) after doing a completely fresh and clean install with scons (i.e. scons arch=whatever install) what you need to do is type: ldconfig

This updates the libraries so the system will actually /see/ the library. After this it worked like a charm. Took three days and most of my best curse words, but that’s the fix.

Tal

Ok I downloaded some new scripts, as I’ve done before. I copied them to the .blender/scripts folder. Press update menus, and got … (big fat nothing). Restart, update menus over and over nothing…

I can’t figure out why, I did the same thing on my other computer with the same files and it worked fine.

The problem computer is an A64 running WinXP. (Blender 2.37 of course) python path is set and verison is 2.35

Anyone ever have this happen? I thought it might be a bad script so I’m going to delete and reinstall one at a time but if it worked on one computer why not on both?

-EDIT-

I don’t know why it wouldn’t work (even after restart) so I moved the scripts to the recycle bin, started blender. Script menus were empty, I undeleted the files, hit update menus and NOW it works. Go figure.

This has happened to me with two diferent versions of Blender…

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/1815/broken2el.th.gif

The is my gfx card info…

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/748/gfxcard0ks.gif

using blender 2.40 prerelease on winXP, Athlon 1.4 GHz with ATI Radeon 8500 AOW.

when selecting an object in solid mode blender crashes without comment.

I just have to take care to switch to wireframe- or shaded mode - then it works

Hans

Using blender on a PIII computer with 512MB and Intel 82810E graphics. Windows ME. Same exact problem as Centauri on the previous page…

Or to recap what he said…

ok… well I am having trouble with the way blender draws, It will jump around when i move over a button,

And also this problem posted by mjrmua:

I’ve just installed blender v2.36 on my gentoo linux system, and hte interface is a bit messed up.

only a small section of the 3d view is drawn
most of the buttons are not drawn, and those that are move when you put the mouse cursor over them.
The popup menus are not displayed
Mouse clicks on the 3d View are registered in the wrong place, its ok on the far left of the window, but as the mouse moves towards the right, the mouse position registered by blender gets further and further to the left of the mouse cursor.

And I’m not on linux. What gives? :o

Based on what goes wrong, it seems to me that whatever part of blender that handles the GUI/menu is flawed/buggy. I bet if it was fixed, a lot more people would be able to use blender just fine. Don’t say it’s an OpenGL thing, since there are a couple other programs (Anim8or, Wings3D, etc.) I use that rely on it and they work just fine. Perhaps it’s a lazy way of using OpenGL that’s calling for things non-uniform to the standard? Or maybe it’s telling OpenGL to do things that really should be handed to the OS instead?
(If I were to do the equivalent in web design, I’d be coding for Explorer instead of W3C and using a graphic so I could have an entire page in a “nice” looking font. Easy and it looks pretty, but is it the right way?)

Don’t say to get new drivers, because the I already know the answer here too… “WHAT new drivers?” :<

I wouldn’t knock Blender otherwise. I’ve seen the results for those who can get it working. I want to be able to actually use it too, that’s all.

maybe this question has been asked a lot of times already but i couldn’t find the answer yet.

sometimes when i model something in blender, and i apply ‘set smooth’ most of the mesh looks good, but one or two faces look ugly :

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/3755/fiets240hu.th.jpg

why does it happen and how can i fix it?

btw i’d stil call myself a newbie, though i’ve used blender for a littel while now %|

This happens because some normals are pointing the wrong way (it’s jsut what happens when modelling). Press Ctrl-N to sort them out (while in Edit Mode). If they’re still playing up, enable ‘View Normals’ in the Edit Buttons (possibly make them longer using NSize) and find faces whose normals point the wrong way. Then select and flip normals (w key).

gee… it works :smiley:

thanx!!

Hello, as you guys can tell I am quite new here, and also new to 3d game making and 3d modeling. I have been using Blender for about a week now, and I really like it. I am having a problem, though. I have been creating an area, which will hopefully eventually become a “level” to a game. Now, everything has been going well with it until I opened it up just a little while ago. I opened it up and wanted to do a quick render of it to see how it was going, and when I did it only rendered right through the middle of the window, which was only about 1/10th of it.

Is this something I have done wrong, or is it something else? Also, I am using Blender 4.1. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Dane

4.1? What’s it like, O Time Lord? :smiley: :wink:

Do you perhaps have ‘Border’ enabled in the render buttons?

:expressionless: Opps, 2.41 is what I meant. Sorry, I was really sleepy when I wrote that.

Thanks for responding quickly. Also, I’m not sure how I check if it has a border. Is it the option under “Render” called “Set Render Border?” Or is there another way, because I tried clicking on that and it did the same thing; just one thin strip in the middle of the pop up window which only shows a small portion of the model I am building. Is there anything one can do to mess up rendering, such as deleting something that isn’t supposed to be deleted, or anything? Does it have to do with adding a plane? The reason why I ask this is because I just opened up a new file and quickly added a new mesh plane. When I went to render it didn’t render anything, it just showed me a picture of what was already on the workspace. On my actual model I have been working on I have a large plane that is “ground.” Is this something I should take out? Is it even needed?

Under the Scene Buttons (F10), and the ‘Render’ Panel, you will see a ‘Border’ button next to ‘Gamma’. Make sure that ‘Border’ is NOT selected.

If that doesn’t work, would you mind posting your .blend file? You can host files at http://www.h4x.snipanet.com/blender, thanks to h4x.

Yeah, Border wasn’t selected. So, I guess I will go ahead and upload my file…and it’s now uploaded. Just to let you know ahead of time, it is my attempt at a wrestling ring, and not really that great of one at that :-? But, hey, it’s a start :slight_smile:

edit Sorry, I forgot to say the file name. It is titled: wrestling ring1.blend

OK, I think I can spot what your problem is:

I presume you don’t really want a panoramic view of the ring. Also, some other settings of your renders are a bit strange, such as the ratios.

Therefore, I suggest you press ‘PC’ under the preset values that are found at the right of the render buttons. You’ll notice that as you do it, many of the settings will change, such as ‘Pano’ turns off, the image size changes, and the pixel size ratios change.

If you do want a wider angle of view, the way to go about it is to mess with the Lens settings of the camera, which are found under the Edit Buttons once your camera is selected - this basically moves between wide-angle and telephoto lenses.
If you want to change the size or aspect ratio of your picture, use the SizeX and SizeY settings. These change the picture size and are measured in pixels.

All this assumes that you want to show your picture on a PC, rather than a TV or other such things. If you want to show it elsewhere, the presets some in handy.

Hope that helps!

WOW :o That actually helps a TON. Silly me, I didn’t know you could move the camera until you pointed that out :expressionless: Thanks a lot.

Hello comunity. It´s my first post ´cause I´m still in adaptting time to the platform. Any way, I´m really considering to use the software in a short animation called “Joaninha” - It´s a financed project and we can´t fail!

The problem is that the 2.41 version on my computer start to be extremly slow and crash every time. I re-install the program and it wasn´t fixed, also I keep using my characters in Maya with no problems at all.

Reading earlies posts, I have noted similar problems. My questions are

• Is Blender stable enough to make a movie? (I´m aware about orange project)

• Is there a stable version? (it happens with Wings3D)