Solutions to common problems

Took me 2 hours to find out :confused:

Blender crashes after rendering any scene on Windows and you can notice this message in the Blender console:

‘import site’ failed; use -v for traceback

The solution is fairly simple, go to http://www.python.org/ and download the latest python release.

Cursor not getting updated (linux)
It can be corrected by setting XFconfig-4 to make “EnablePageFlip” “on”

Section “Device”

Option “EnablePageFlip” “on”

Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver      "radeon"
    VendorName  "All"
    BoardName   "All"
    ChipId          0x514D

BusID “PCI:1:0:0”

EndSection

That works with my debian & ati 9200 (DRI driver) and improve the 3D performence as well.

hello i have a question is there a way to alloud blender to use more RAM?it now only uses 20% of the availlable ram i have.and does it make sence if i think if blender use more ram my renders will go faster?

Blender will use as much RAM as it needs. If it needs more, it’ll ask for more.

Martin

I had a similar problem in linux with that card. Selecting all nodes in IPO crashed Blender. IIRC only workaround was to downgrade nvidia drivers to 1241 !

I am from Russia. Some folders are named in russian but in Blender they are seen through symbols that are very different from cyrillic.
I tried to change font in options but those changes applied only to ui
How to change font or encoding of text in filebrowser?

OS: Win2000 (and may be it can be a solution to change filebrowser’s font to windows’ one)

this should probably be considered a bug

the translation options change the font used in blender’s user interface, but it does not change the font used everwhere. Some places which are laking conversion to the new font are the text window, parts of the file window, parts of the 3d window, parts of the ipo windows, the sequence window types, and likely others.

Is there any place where i can report it without registration at forum or anything else (i have seen developers’ forum and bugtracker but they both need registration to post :frowning: )?
May be somewhere at Elysiun?

I’ve just installed blender v2.36 on my gentoo linux system, and hte interface is a bit messed up.

only a small section of the 3d view is drawn
most of the buttons are not drawn, and those that are move when you put the mouse cursor over them.
The popup menus are not displayed
Mouse clicks on the 3d View are registered in the wrong place, its ok on the far left of the window, but as the mouse moves towards the right, the mouse position registered by blender gets further and further to the left of the mouse cursor.

A screen shot maybe worth 1000 words : http://hydepark.gp.school.za/~murray/blender_big.png

I’m running a radeon 9000 Pro, Not sure what drivers (how do i find out?)

Has anyone had a problem like this before?

I’ve never seen that before

[uhh, why is the pic 2560x1024? are you running two 1280x1024 displays?]

you can find out which drivers are being used with a linux tool like glx_info, or you can run the following in blender

from Blender.BGL import * 
print "GL Vendor  ", glGetString(GL_VENDOR) 
print "GL Renderer", glGetString(GL_RENDERER) 
print "GL Version ", glGetString(GL_VERSION)

I think you should go for the other route considering that blender isn’t working

the way you would run that is you change a window to a text window [the button is the leftmost one on the window header], then type the text in or load it [you can’t just paste it in in linux… unless the keypresses are sent to the app and not just the text I guess], and run it by pressing alt+p with your curosr in the text window

the ouput will be on the console [so you should have opened blender from one…], start blender with the -w switch to have it open in a window

I’d imagine that probably the first thing you try is using only one display, most graphics drivers aren’t as good in linux as in windows, and in both places have some problems with an opengl accelerated window spanning two displays.

I’ve not used gentoo so I wouldn’t know which drivers it would come with by default, or which config tools and related software it comes with.

Sweet! Thanks!

All sorted out now.

The dual monitors was the problem.
Running blender in a window and resizeing it to fit on one monitor only seems to have solved it.

Hi Blenderheads,

looks like the windoze ppl have better OpenGL Support for Blender.
What makes me worry is just that Linux wants to have the HWCursor Flag
in the x86config respectively xorgconf enabled. With the usual SW-Cursor
you will have “nice” distorted menues. This is quite demanding for some
Linux-newbies and might actually make them stick to an inferior OS.

Which i think is a pity and could be designed otherwise. What do you think,
would an install script already help as a workaround or could that be
fixed internally?.

By the way: Thank you for your great scipts, Nick.

Since I downloaded Blender 2.36 on my computer, [Windows XP Professional] (The folder is run from the desktop), I have not been able to use Yafray. I don’t mess much with computer settings or folder locations, so technically I have not done anything to try to fix it. At any rate, this is what Blender indicates after I try to render [the default cube scene]:

Starting scene conversion.
Scene conversion done.
No export directory set in user defaults!
Yafray found at : C:\PROGRA~1\YafRay
Starting YafRay …
Loading grammar …
Trying open grammar C:\Program Files\YafRay\gram.yafray
Starting parser …
[Warning]: Unknown camera attr aspect_ratio
[Warning]: Unknown camera attr bokeh_type
[Warning]: Unknown camera attr bokeh_bias
[Warning]: Unknown camera attr bokeh_rotation
Parsing OK

Loading plugins …
Registered arealight
Registered basicblocks
Registered basicshaders
Registered blendershaders

It will freeze from there. Do I just forget about Yafray, or can I do something about it?
P.S. I might be a lazy person, but really, if someone posted this before, I tried looking for it, and many a hundred matches came up with irrelevant results; I gave up after a couple dozen.

ok… well I am having trouble with the way blender draws, It will jump around when i move over a button, the problem is, that the solution proposed sounds great, but my video card is old and unsupported(its a ati mobility m3, i will never get another ati card in my life) I’ve had it working before, but when i upgraded my driver to solve the problem of my computer crashing when i triedto render, It mysteriously popped up… Dont know that much about ati cards, other than i’m growing to dislike them a lot. If anyone knows how to get rid of this problem i would appreciate it, Its almost impossible for me to work on anything.

Is there a hotkey to center the buttons in the buttons window? Right out of the blue, the buttons in the buttons window disappeared? I accidentally hit CTRL + Up in the window and I saw the buttons at the very, very top of the window. I tried to use Alt + LMB to move it down, but I could only move it up(I’m still confused about that part). Alistair suggested that there was a hotkey. I’ve looked around through hotkeys listed in various tutorials, but I couldn’t find it. Does anyone know what it is, or, if there isn’t one, how to fix it? Thanks.

Edit :

I fixed it. I just right-clicked and changed the panel alignment.

You hit Ctrl+Up and you saw the buttons at the top of the window? Isn’t that the full screen hotkey? I just have to press Ctrl+Up (or Ctrl+Down) again to get my old window set-up back.

Being in full screen mode wasn’t the problem. I had no idea where the buttons were until i entered fullscreen mode. :slight_smile: When I exited fullscreen mode, the buttons still weren’t visible. But I fixed that problem when I realigned the panels.

Hello
I just got a problem whit blender. I reinstaled my winxp and after that blender
run somehow slow and leave trails on the screen
http://img236.echo.cx/img236/3813/bugs5vb.th.jpg
http://img262.echo.cx/img262/6097/bugs26nx.th.jpg

I have ATI RADEON 9550

I fix it i forgot to install agp drv :slight_smile:

Nevermind the info below, it turns out the video card I had installed wasn’t the greatest quality. I’m now using an ATI Rage Fury Pro 32mb, and Blender works perfectly. :slight_smile:

Ooookay, here’s the deal: Recently moved to a new state, and got set up on a different computer. The one I used Blender on before was as follows:

Dimension 2400, 2.4GHz Celeron
128MB DDR SDRAM, Intergrated Graphics (32MB AGP aperture)

Just the basics… oddly enough, Blender ran beautifully on that PC. Now, I’m on this computer:

Presario 5002US, 800MHz Duron
768MB PC100 SDRAM
Hercules 3D Prohpet 4500, 64MB (AGP 2x)
(Previous card was an nVidia Vanta LT 8MB, AGP 2x)

You would think with more system and video RAM available, it would run better, even on a slower processor. But, that’s not quite how it goes. In Object Mode, it runs flawlessly (without Subsurf, that slows it down a little). Edit mode, however, causes it to slow nearly to the point of uselessness. Any ideas? I can get more specific system specs if you need them.

• Mike

Erk, edit here: I’m running Blender 2.37a.

does anyone have a suggestion for ATI’s new 200m card. 128 mb dedicated. Blender would run faster on a graphing calculator.

It’s for a fancy laptop with all the bells and whistles. I’ve spent hours trying to get the right driver (omega etc.), or install some dll file into the folder, or you name it i’ve tried it - 16 bit color 32 bit color - nothing is working.