Solutions to common problems

my specs;
gateway with a intel celeron 2,20ghz 768mb RAM and a pathetic intelR extreme graphics card i think 32mb

i have an ati radeon x1800 xt and blender used to work just fine but now after i reinstalled windows and all my drivers its fine until i highlight any button it looks like this http://dl.eve-files.com/media/0608/untitled(1).bmp can anyone please help me get this working again

have you tried setting antialiasing to application preference?

[I can’t see your picture]

http://ksenijapajcin.atspace.com/

Hello Guys…
Boy do i need your help.

Okay… i downloaded your program to my desktop. The truncated file was expanded and made into a folder on my desktop, yet when i opened the folder and clicked twice on the icons “Blender” and “Blenderplayer”, the icons expand like something is happening… and then, nothing happened.

I mean … nothing.

So what should i do?

I have a Mac G5 for initial reference and i have the power to make the program do its thing… why can’t i get in?

I have recently switched to Macs and am running a new Mac Pro with a Nvidia 7300 graphics card and cannot seem to get Blender to run. I have searched this and other sites but keep coming up empty or with solutions for Windows (wonders if a Mac was such a good idea). I have downloaded the newest Blender for Intel Macs and have tried 3 different mirrors but keep getting the same issue. The program starts but the work space is all pixelated and the buttons don’t show up till the mouse pointer passes over them and then they dont work properly. Could this be a driver issue? If it is then I am prob out of luck. I am excited to start learning Blender I am new to the program and have heard much good about it. Thanks

Graphic cards are blowing my mind here! Which card does anyone recommend? I was intending to buy a GeForce but ATI is splashed all over the site, my current card is pathetic and now I’m confused…

Help?

I also have the same problem as piltupso, just got my new Mac Pro with the same nvidia graphics card, downloaded the intel mac files and just cannot resolve the interface, it is just a jumble of pixels.
Cannot seem to find any help with this so hopefully we can get some advice here.
Nice to come aboard these forums just wish I could join you guys and use Blender, I even bought the book :slight_smile:

Here’s a problem I hope isn’t common at all, but here goes…

I downloaded Blender 2.42 for Mac OS X to a PBG4 1.5Ghz/512MB RAM/ATi Radeon 9700 (not sure if it’s 64MB or 128MB VRAM), and it doesn’t run.

Specifically, when I double-click on the Blender icon, it appears in the dock, then disappears immediately after that without even bouncing. I’m sure my system meets all the system requirements, so this is a rather peculiar situation. Plz help!

Its been a few months but at least for my problem mentioned a couple of posts earlier updating to OS 10.4.8 fixed the issue.

I think it was an open GL issue and 10.4.8 was supposed to have a open GL fix in it.

Hopefully Alonzo found the solution and is busily blending away and hasn’t given up.

The likely cause of the no-start problem on OSX is that the wrong version of Blender was downloaded. There are usually two choices to download - one for systems running Python 2.3 (Mac default) and one for those running Python 2.4 (if you haven’t installed it, you probably don’t have it).

So, if Alpnzo’s still waiting for an answer, try again and download the one for Python 2.3 - it usually has something like “blender-2.42-OSX-10.3-py2.3-powerpc”

Hi, I dont know if this is the right thread, apology in advance.

Im new to blender and python. Can you please give me the basic idea on how we can make our finish artwork react from the viewers.

Let’s say, we have finish to design the MAP of a house, now we want to make it interractive in the sense that the viewers can zoom in and out to certain areas, welll maybe they can use the mouse or we can make a + button that they can click. Now the question is how to do it, do we need to program it using python scripts or blender itself has such functions?

Please help. Thank you in advance.

Seize the day!

You need to learn how to do it with the GameEngine (F4 buttons), the Render side of Blender (what you see when you open the program and where you do your modelling, texturing and final renders) has no multiplayer interactivity.
You have a few advantages with the GameEngine; 1) you can set the whole thing up with LogicBricks and and (if you need to) you can still use Python; 2) once done you can save it as an .exe (File >> Save Dynamic Runtime) which you can distribute to players who don’t have Blender and they will be able to use it without having to learn Blender too; 3) there is a good possibility that you could load it to a webpage as a multiplayer app (a rudimentary codebase exists now but there are rumours of a rewrite).
Goto the Game Engine Forum and click on the first Sticky link to see a collection of tuts, demos and games.
%<

I’m having problems booting blender in Macos 10.3, it immediately quits. I’ve run terminal like it says in the help forums and this is what I’m getting before it crashes.

-bash-2.05b$ /Applications/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/blender -p 100 100 700 500dyld: /Applications/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/blender can’t open library: /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Python (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
Trace/BPT trap
-bash-2.05b$

Has anyone any ideas how I can fix this?

I’ve had the latest version of blender running on this machine before (I formatted yesterday and re-installed and now it won’t work)

Thanks in advance.
(Apologies if this is in the wrong place, I couldn’t find a relavent category)
Alex

You need a build compiled with Python 2.3. Search here for ‘Mac Python’ and you’ll find quite a few posts.

%<

You also need Mac OS 10.3.9 minimum. If your OS is earlier than this, get the free updates.

Dirty solution for Artifacts around the cursor.
Hi all, just started using this program yesterday and it worked fine. Today however a black square appeared when i started blender and artifacts appear when I zoom or push a menu.
I have seen that some people have had the same problem but I have not seen any tips on how to fix it. However, if i right-click the blender box in the tool bar and select “always on top” the artifacts are gone and the program works fine.
Hope this can help others with this problem to.

/Karra

Hi,
I ran the code in blender and it says each var isnt defined?

from Blender.BGL import * print "GL Vendor ", glGetString(GL_VENDOR) print “GL Renderer”, glGetString(GL_RENDERER) print "GL Version ", glGetString(GL_VERSION)

What else do I need to do?

I have a newer nvidia card and would like to use it with hardware acceleration turned on. But when I turn it on, Blender lags behind badly.

So while I am surfing etc, I have crappy images and no animated gifs.

I did update my drivers in November after the new gl came out.

I have these settings available:

Antialiasing 2x 2xQ 4x 8xS AC
Anisotropic filtering 2x 4x 8x 16x AC
Image Settings Quality
Color Profile not available
Vertical Sync off on AP
Force Mipmaps None Bilinear Trilinear
Conformant Texture Clamp off on
Extension Limit off on
Hardware acceleration single-display mode
Trilinier optimization off on
Anisotropic mip filter optimization off on
Anisotropic Sample optimization off on
Transparency Antialising off multisampling supersampling
Triple Buffering off on
Neg LOD Bias clamp allow

I was offered some settings in the game engine forum, but they didnt work either.

So out of frustration I will ask here. If you have any clues, please, please help me. :slight_smile:

Orinoco’s question caught my eye. I have been having a somewhat similar problem with hotkeys acting strange.

In my case it seems to be connected to a set of issues I have been having with using old .blend files after updating. One example is the file I found a long time ago, demonstrating full rigging. I think the file is called “bisquit”. When I first found the file it ran fine, but as I have installed new updates I have been getting several odd bugs with this and other old files.

First, whenever I load it, the mesh is oddly deformed, but this tends to fix itself once I sellect the mesh and go into edit mode (so it never bothered me much). The keymapping bug is more recent, just within the last update or so (2.43 I think). When I go into pose mode, all the keys act like G/grab. R dose not rotate, S dose not scale etc…

The bugs seem to be more likely to occur the more removed my current version is from the one that the file was most likely created under.

other info:
WinXP Pro
on an AMD
with an ATI

I haven’t messed with Blender much on my Linux partition due to the poorer performance of the ATI drivers on that OS, so I don’t know if the problem carries over.

Just one tiny problem: I want Blender to calculate normals so shading is smooth, not like this:
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/7822/badyw5.jpg

And if it’s important, I’m making models for my DirectX game and I export them as .x file. Of course I could calculate normals in my program but it’s a lot easiers if they’re already correctly calculated.