Spiderman: Into The Spider-Verse Concept Art

Hi guys, I’m proud to say that Blender was involved in creating Spiderman: Into The Spider-Verse! I worked on the movie as a Visdev artist and used Blender Cycles for rendering the Collider set and 3d Matte Painting, hair and lighting tests. Modo and Blender were used for modelling.

More stuff: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/EVvobv

80 Likes

Watching it on Monday, But just from the trailers I can say it’s probably my favorite movie in decades going purely on the visuals.

Great to see Blender being used, now I just hope we can get all the details of how the achieved the look within a couple years.

OH MAN!! Thank you soo much for bringing this story!
Love the artworks!
Amazing concepts!

Hey, man! Everyday something new, I have not seen some of these works yet. Great stuff!

I hope they decide to do a sequel! And next time it will be entirely Blender, right? :wink:

Hey Vaughan, I’ve really been enjoying your daily streams. Including today’s where you went over some of this artwork! I really dig both the visual and modeling style here. You certainly have a breadth of expertise and all these shots show it. Nice work dude!

You mentioned on Twitter that this was your first project with blender. Could you elaborate on that a bit further? Who’s call was it to decide on the tools? (and which version of Blender you settled on?)

1 Like

Sure, I was using Modo + Blender for cycles rendering and hair tests. Also some 3d matte paint tests. The collider (circular room) was rendered in cycles as well as some 3d painting tests: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdb_3gGR47o
This is all on the Visdev / Concept art side, so it was my call on the tools.
On the production side everything was done with Maya as far as I know.

1 Like

So it was ultimately your call, that’s interesting. What made you decide on Blender this time? I’m sure you have a well defined workflow with other tools already.

Initially I was looking for a faster way to render interiors (cycles) but as the project went on, I ended up switching fully to Blender for modelling, shading, rendering, the modifiers and curves were especially useful.

6 Likes

Nice! I would have never known about it if you did say anything on it.

You’re #featured! :+1:

I love your youtube channel, man ! :wink: Keep it up with your live streams. Dont seen the movie yet but frome trailers i can say that art style is outstanding. Finally something fresh.

1 Like

That’s fantastic, so cool! Thanks for sharing!

Great work man! The movie is a visual feast!

Have only seen the previews but looks amazing. So glad a studio is trying to break free from the “Pixar” look that is so ubiquitous nowadays.

this looks amazing !!!

Awesome work Vaughan!
Another great example of blender in a movie :slight_smile: Super cool you did all those props etc. Must feel good do such great stuff

PS i just read on your Artstation that you said Alberto Mielgo set the style. But i read this article last week, which said that Jim Mahfood was the main man for the style. Was his style toned down or so than? That Mahfood style is sick by the way, such an awesome style :slight_smile:

This is some good work you have.

1 Like

A different Spidey made with different production kit. Fits.

1 Like