SSS teeth shader

that is really a great result , I still feel that volume shader is important for your enamel material

I’m testing on this molar now

the molar looks good,self modeled?
in this render i changed the HDRI for different light conditions,different dentin and enamel settings,mainly translucency.i think the translucency is close to real teeth behavior in daylight.something is still missing,maybe the volume scatter,but this is to expensive in rendertime.i try if i found a method, to get a more deepness to the translucency.but the translucency values used now ,are real measuered values from real teeths .on the other hand ,if you want nice bright beauty teeth,then the settings requiet are different, form a old dentin or thin look.

Yes I modeled the molar , nice render but lighting looks over bright
Yes translucency was one of the shader I test on dentin , it was good but light must came from the back , sss can be lightened from side with big radius

i have reduced the HDRI light,changed the direction and calibrated it to 18% grey, to match the filmic middlegrey.have added translucency ,to the gum flesh material,and tweaked a little bit the dentin and enamel translucency too.for me it looks very useable,would be nice to this materials in a complete head.

edit,new render without translucency on gum,with a more subtle dentin look,rendertime 26min 480samples and denoising.i think i can reduce some settings.with volumescatter the rendertime would be around 90+min with my gtx970 gpu.

yes that is too great result for teeth , for gum I think it’s little bit dark in between bumbs

for me this is molar result

the molar looks good to me.i would like to see some of the shader in a complete head.i painted a texture for the gum.

that is very good gum texture
sorry I modified your image in photoshop so it became like I wish , at the arrow I blured image as if there volume shader or refraction with a glossy that blur what inside , I put color overlay too

np wissammax,constructive critism is allways welcome.i know ,the thin part is hard to get a good milky result,without volume scatter.here a new render with new sss settings,with the goal to get a more blurry thin part(still without volume scatter).

believe or not every frame I render took at least 3 hours because of volume shader , my cpu is from 2010 amd phenom 3x , but I try even :yes:

3 hours?too long for me.i have put a volume scatter to the enamel,and reduced some settings.with 400 samples, this render need 21 min.
with same setting and without volume scatter 10 min.

i have imported one object from the stl files.i have simplifyed the shader to one material.one enamel material shader with volume scatter and absorption.rendertime 4 min and 20 sek.

You can achieve some teeth realty by painting color texture , it seem flat

I made a new scene with new material with objects from stl files

if you take color from this shade guide it will be better

with dentin look,rendertime 3min58sek

edit,yes wissammax i know differnt dentin look ect thanks.but i think the most artist go for a clean fresh beauty look for her models.it depents for the needs thats sure.

added more stl objects to render

same render with moderate dentin.

edit,and another variation with different settings

edit,another HDRi,400 samples rendertime 2min.

Very nice work

thank you wissammax.at some points ,i am not happy with the limits the mixshader in cycles has.if you want to mix for example a white material with a glass material at 50% fac,the result is grey.if you use the addshader the pbr is not correct anymore, because it adds the light from the other shader.a good alternative would be the methods like the RGB color mix shader has,ie multiply ect.

if you not have seen the new random walk sss shader in Blender 2.8.4,i think this shader looks great, if used right.i want to test this shader for the teeth material in the near future.

in the last render, i have forgotten to calibrate it to 18% grey,so it was a bit to bright.here the new render calibrated to filmic 18%grey.
i have simplifyed the shader even more,rendertime down to 1:49 min.with same rendersettings at 400samples with denoising.