Hi…Thanks for featuring my character here at BA. Much appreciated.:yes:
abc123…Thanks. I am a great fan of your work in the Blender Game Engine. Your new project looks awsome.
Nathan.Furguson…Thanx man! Much appreciated comment.
3dementia…Thanx…I like to keep it simple…
James Candy… Thank you very much. I can’t say exactly, but I have been working some evenings over the last month or so…I did put in a few full days here and there also. I think if I had to repeat the process again now…probably around 10 days of work. All depends on all the problems I run into…
Fire_Head431…I explained my whole process below…hope it helps!
Since Fire_Head431 was asking about the texture I thought I would quickly explain the process. Pretty straight forward in general.
I sculpted the high poly in ZBRUSH to around 25 million points. I then textured the model in ZBRUSH. Then exported a version of the model of around 700 000 polys to blender for retopology. Then did the UV maps for my low poly model in Blender. The model was 8000 tris when finished.
Then exported chunks of the model from ZBRUSH to bake Normals and Textures to my low poly model. The chunks varied between 30 000 to about 1,5 million polys. Till about a million polys Blender is still very fast and the process of importing and baking is super quick.(This is on my PC anyways) Because I am baking bit by bit I unchecked the “Clear” checkbox under the baking settings. I had to play around with the Distance and Bias levels to get the Normal bakes to come out nice. I also baked everything at 4096 sizes and scaled them down to 2048 afterwards. This gives much better results than baking straight to the size you are going to use in the end.
The same goes for the textures. Baking from the high polys I exported from ZBRUSH to my low poly in Blender. After the bake you end with a very basic color map. The Normal map that I generated in Blender was used to create a Cavity Map in XNORMAL. This together with a basic Ambient Occlusion bake of my Low poly model I used as Multiply and Overlay channels in Photoshot to get close to my final textures. Just added some dirt and scratches and finally painted out some seams in Blender Using the Texture Paint mode.
Then rigged and posed the model and rendered it using the standalone player for the Blender Game Engine, and setting the AA Samples to 16x. This gave a very nice crisp result. Then just comped it in photoshop with final tweaks.
I hope this helps a few people. You can use a similar process if you sculpted in Blender.