StarGate SG10 Game Models (Large Images)

Hey all

Ive been working the past few weeks on some models for a game I’ve been wanting to make for quite some time. Ive just finished high school and so I’ve got a lot of free time before i go to Uni so i thought id start working on at least the models.

I’m looking at doing the game with CrystalSpace at the moment, but haven’t got much experience with that yet. Ive already got a script of the first 3 ‘chapters’ of the game planned and so i just need to get some models together and learn some stuff like gamepython a lot better.

The game will be a third person shooter based around SG10 (the team that replaces the SG10 who were sucked down the black hole)
It will take as long as it needs to be completed. I’m not setting any dates or anything like that, i might not even start making the game for a year or so.

Ive also made a short movie on you youtube channel to show some of the animations and actions of the gate and zat etc. Check out the channel here - www.youtube.com/ADEdge Feel free to subscribe to!
Heres the direct link to the movie.

So ill stop blabbering on, heres a few model pictures. There all WIP at the moment.

And dont tell me the poly count is to high! Its for the CS engine, not blender internal!

Jaffa Models -
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6971/jaffa3up0.jpg

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4696/jaffa7wq7.jpg

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/8397/jaffa5eb8.jpg

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/549/jaffa6bl7.jpg

Jaffa with the Gate
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/295/jaffa4uv0.jpg

The Gate
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/5544/gatepic3my0.jpg

Goa’uld Weapons
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6079/weaponssk7.jpg

Zat’nik’tel
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1227/zatwhitezb1.jpg

So let me know what you think :rolleyes:

AD-Edge

The poly count its too…low?! :slight_smile:
The CS engine probably can handle many more?!
Anyway, its nicely done, well textured.
Keep blending.

Yes, I’ve seen some of the models in CS games and they have a heap more polys, so i might have to add a lot more detail. sighs Oh the pain… lol :evilgrin:

yeah, what everyone else said- the models are a good poly count for the BGE, but crystalspace can do much better. you might want to watch the shape of the head (especially from the 3/4 angle). nice texturing though, I’m still struggling with being able to UV my characters XP

Does anybody know what is the max polycount BGE can handle well. Iv seen scenes with about 25-30k polys and fast framerate on bge. I think…with 30k polys you can make extremely detailed and beautifull scene.

I might be just behind the times (and too into Zelda 64! ;), but I was thinking the polycount was just right, if not too high :wink: Why not keep it low, and use all those extra polys for huge scenes, with armies and fleets and stuff? :wink: There are plenty of games around with a few soldiers to fight, or a scene to explore. Very few where you can run from soldiers, jump in a glider, floor the trusters, and rocket past an entire city. In static/movie renders, polys are for perfection, as realtime isn’t much of an issue. In gaming… that speed and scope is what polycounts are for, imho :wink:

yeah dw about the poly count, your not EA or anything. Personally I think a game is better when it has massive overwhelming batles, because thats more fun and then your too busy to notice the graphics. The only thing you need to fix graphic wise I’d say is the eyes are too blurry.

Why not keep it low, and use all those extra polys for huge scenes, with armies and fleets and stuff?

Exactly what I’m planning to do. :cool: I might touch up the models (mainly the Jaffa heads) but apart from that I’d much rather have a bunch of baddies to fight through rather than a couple that look a little bit better.

I want to keep things reasonably simple (graphics wise) and focus on gameplay.

you might want to watch the shape of the head

Yeh, I’m not entirely happy with the Jaffa heads at the moment.

Im planning to make a Goa’uld boss in the next few days, and possibly a member of SG10. I’ll be starting on the first chapter ‘area’ sometime to, which all takes place on a Ha’tak.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

when you do a low poly head how do you shape it please tell

great by the way awsom detail but were did you get the textures

i to am a fan of stargate i hated to see SG 1 go

Okay as a HUGE Stargate fan, here are my comments.

1. I love the accurate models, expecially the staff weapon.

2. I to think that with the crystalspace engine, or DarkBasic as it says on your site, you can do better justice with not only characters but the stargate as well. The Stargate is the center of attention after all and the poly count should be increased.

3. Also I would make sure your not infringing on any copyright laws. Not only with the name and models but the music your using as well.

Oh on a side note the zat is spelled Zat’ni’katel not Zat’nik’tel. Otherwise great game, I can’t wait to play the demo.

when you do a low poly head how do you shape it please tell  

I used some very nice, free reference pictures from here. Its a great site for reference pictures.

I to think that with the crystalspace engine, or DarkBasic as it says on your site, you can do better justice with not only characters but the stargate as well. The Stargate is the center of attention after all and the poly count should be increased.
I never mentioned DarkBasic? :spin:
I’m liking the stargate how it is, but it could be a bit smoother i agree. And the characters could do with a bit more detail. Mainly in the head I’m thinking.

Also I would make sure your not infringing on any copyright laws. Not only with the name and models but the music your using as well.
Thats a tricky one, but its just a personal project of mine, I’m not going to sell anything etc. It can be classified as ‘fanart’. Not sure on what music ill be using yet either.

Any ideas on music for games? Ive looked at making some myself but it seems very difficult.

And heres a few more views of the Zat’nik’tel

And a wire if anyones interested

Genius!!!
You could teach commercial game developers a thing or two for sure!!! :yes:

EDIT: whoops almost forgot, everything is looking great(although the character faces do look a bit od understandably), cant wait to play the finished project.

Haha, thanks Siegel. I know how i want the gameplay to be in this game, hopefully i can pull it off. :rolleyes:

although the character faces do look a bit od understandably

They are a little demented. :frowning:

The gate is WAY too small. The original studio prop is 30’ (6m approx) in diameter, so it should be about three times the height of your Jaffa’s.

Agree on the poly count: If this were 1999 with the Quake I engine and Voodoo2 boards, you’d be okay. But current graphics cards can handle a lot more, even surpassing production (studio) quality graphics of 10 years back. A game like Freelancer looks better than Babylon 5 did in '97!

The gate is WAY too small.
Sure is! That wasn’t a scale picture, i just added it in the background for a different look.

But current graphics cards can handle a lot more
True, but graphics aren’t my major concern at the moment. And they can always be tweaked later.

Heres a bit of an update - Finished the Goa’uld template and started working on the inside of the Ha’tak. The Goa’uld was pretty simple because i just had to redo some Jaffa textures and beef up the mesh. Did make a new face for him though. The height is exaggerated, but thats on purpose because i wanted the Goa’uld to be seen as much larger and stronger.
note that the Stargate is a much better size! :slight_smile:

Goa’uld

Arrival through Ha’tak Stargate

edit Im looking to start making the SG10 team soon, plus continuing the work I’m doing on the Ha’tak inside.

great when do youplan to do a demo edge you lok like your getting pretty far pretty fast.

AD-Edge!

If i could hug you right now i would! PLEASE tell me you will keep this game between seasons 1-8! after that i think it went down hill. there wasn’t enough action.

“Lest fight the Ori with the greatest weapon of all…Diplomacy!!!”

Your right matt i think they are making a moovies arent they

when do youplan to do a demo
Ahh, no time soon i dont think. Hopefully sometime next year.

PLEASE tell me you will keep this game between seasons 1-8!
Yes! Defiantly, it will take place around seasons 5-6 i think. I still like seasons after but they are different with the Ori. I still like it tho. The Goa’uld are just the classic enemies after all, so i wanted to work in that time frame. I’m also looking forward to the movies, which will finish off season 10 unfortunately. :frowning:

whats it souposed to be called i think it like gate of truth or something like that