Steampunk Competition

An update on the man

To see the details a little better

Same here, so I tend to make a set of the basic materials I want (general color and specularity) so I can place what materials I want on what, but I still model almost everything first. I find this to be much more efficient. Backgrounds I don’t have much of an issue with, as they tend to be in different scenes, so I don’t even start on them until I am almost ready to start compositing for the other scene.

@NID Graphics - That’s a good method :wink: I just hate staring at a blank white material during renders, i like to get a little glimpse of how they will look when there shaded, so like you, i usually end up with a ton of placeholder materials. Either way we get the job done lol :smiley:

@Thetax - Looking good man, I like the chain and pendant meshes :slight_smile: Are they going to be brass? or metallic? or have you not considered materials yet lol

A weakness of mine is, i can’t model something without considering their materials. So, for the pendant I’m planning on going for a dirty brass

Added a shirt underneath his vest :slight_smile:

Also got on to the button making today

That button looks great! nice idea man :slight_smile: also looks like good clean modelling.

Oh, man, that took some time until I got the point of that button :o. But it is sooo obvious: It’s a steampunk button :eek: Really a nice idea.

Thank you guys for the compliments on the button! Unfortunately, i realized that the button can only be visible once in the entire model. I thought i was going to put three of them on the vest, but the pendant hides two of them. You know how you model something you like so, subconsciously, you want it to stand out? I’m having one of those moments. But, i guess i should accept my sacrifices :slight_smile:

haha lol :slight_smile: that happens to me a lot. My current project has a lot of very small details in certain areas that are not really visable.

Still, looks good mate :wink:

Small details are good though. In my experience they tie the scene together when you have large masses of geometry, they make it more believable. Good job on your work so far!

I see what you mean Jamie :wink:

And, spot on, Rachel.

Newest update

Just made the fastest head I’ve ever made in my life. I’m not too disappointed at it either :slight_smile: I tried my best and it turned out close to what i wanted it to. I realize now that the head is too chubby compared to the model’s body. Is it? Could anyone tell me? Any who, here is the head. You will soon see a picture of the head with the body.

Added a hat to the man. Also, here you can see how i merged the head and the body

A full view

Looking good man, you’re progressing well. I wasn’t too sure about the shaping of the characters head, but it seems to work well now that it’s merged with the body, the cap is a nice touch too :slight_smile:

Keep it up man, you’re getting more done than me lol

Thanks Jamie :slight_smile: I’m sure you are just as far ahead as me.

This is what i have so far. I’m adding accessories now. Finally jumped out of the comfort zone and stepped into texturing.