STEP import

HI, Super job really helpful addon (bought it).
One question probably kind of dumb but does this import the colors? I exported an assembly from Freecad with colors. When I import into blender it all comes as one material. Do (or could) the colors just import as simple diffuse colors or something?

I can’t imagine having to go in and recolor every part (sometimes hundreds).

Again, sorry if I’m missing something obvious.
Thanks for great import utility.

There’s currently no loading of colors for sub-shapes, only for the main shapes. It’s something I’ve put the most work into, but so far is not something that’s possible. I’m currently in the process of refactoring the addon to implement the list of features and improvements previously posted in this thread.

The colors that do import, are imported as vertex colors (more accurately face loop colors in Blender lingo)

Hi @ambi

Really valuable addon. Also purchased it and would also like to give thumbs up to supporting color import. I have some surfaces colored and as discussed earlier in this thread they do not import.

Kind regards,
Tommi

1 Like

But… but… That’s awesome !
I’ve just bought your addon and it work just perfectly !

THX Guy ! :wink:

1 Like

HI @ambi, i tried with step files comming from solidworks and it works incredible as long as the step file is not so heavy :frowning: iimported one 65 mb step file, flawless, tried with another one 127 mb and just blender crashes :frowning: i imported the same cad files in max and then exported as fbx and blender opens it no problem, could it be a problem there? sadly i cant send you the files to test due to NDAs… but i will be the happiest person in the world if this could be fixed, i am desperate to kick max out of the workflow… and sadly when i export fbx from max all the layers from the step get lost. and this is quite important…is there any new version from the addon? perhaps am using an old one? i have the version 1.0 thanks man and incredible work!

Send me the error messages from the crash in PM or email. You can get the crash error message by starting Blender from the console (cmd in Windows). There’s a known bug that causes craches when the STEP files have non-Unicode characters in them.

Hey @ambi, already sent a screenshot. if you solve this you will be my god!, i need to get rid of stupid max… am getting crazy…

Hi,

I just bought the addon, OCC import. I got this error right after I tried importing any .step files. Could you please help me solve the issue?

bpy.context.space_data.params.directory = “Downloads”
bpy.context.space_data.params.directory = “C:\Users\Yinghao\OneDrive\Documents\”
bpy.context.space_data.system_bookmarks_active = 3
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\Yinghao\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.90\scripts\addons\STEPper_init_.py”, line 392, in execute
for _ in executor:
File “C:\Users\Yinghao\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.90\scripts\addons\STEPper_init_.py”, line 413, in main
from . import importer
File “C:\Users\Yinghao\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.90\scripts\addons\STEPper\importer.py”, line 13, in
from OCC.Core.XCAFDoc import XCAFDoc_DocumentTool_ShapeTool, XCAFDoc_DocumentTool_ColorTool
File “C:\Users\Yinghao\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.90\scripts\addons\STEPper\OCC\Core\XCAFDoc.py”, line 18, in
from . import _XCAFDoc
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

Copy & paste the following: import platform as p; import bpy; "|".join([p.machine(), p.platform(), p.python_version(), p.python_compiler(), bpy.app.version_string,bpy.app.binary_path_python]) into Blender Python Console and tell me what it prints out

Thank you for the quick response. Here is the code I got:
‘AMD64|Windows-10-10.0.18362-SP0|3.7.7|MSC v.1916 64 bit (AMD64)|2.90.1|C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\python\bin\python.EXE’

Try exiting Blender and deleting the addon folder manually. For example the free version and the paid version install in the same folder and are two completely separate implementations. If you just overwrote the existing folder, it will most likely break things.

Oh boy, this add-on is fantastic.
I am a mechanical designer and also a blender user.
Look my project, working perfectly in blender. Look at the geometry of the text engraved on the part. It’s working perfectly too.
Only the hook gave a problem on the surfaces, and I believe why is a surface is nurbs in my 3D cad.

1 Like

What do I need to do after that? I reinstalled it after I manually deleted the addon folder. But I still got the same error.

In addition, I deleted the folder of this path: C:\Users{My Name}\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.90\scripts\addons. Hope it was the correct folder that needed to be removed manually.

oh thats some terrible meshing !!!

I sent you a PM

@Rubiano_Basquera: glad you like it. If you want to send me STEP files that have such meshing issues, I can add it to my test folder, so I can take a look at it and maybe improve the meshing.

1 Like

Sure… Here it is… :wink:
Hook_set.rar (3.1 MB)

1 Like

Hi @ambi thanks for the addon. I just bought the STEPper (OCC import) and tried to import a step file on Ubuntu Linux 20.04 with blender version 2.83.7 but I get the following error:

File "/home/fjp/.config/blender/2.83/scripts/addons/STEPper/__init__.py", line 392, in execute
    for _ in executor:
  File "/home/fjp/.config/blender/2.83/scripts/addons/STEPper/__init__.py", line 413, in main
    from . import importer
  File "/home/fjp/.config/blender/2.83/scripts/addons/STEPper/importer.py", line 10, in <module>
    from OCC.Core.BRepMesh import BRepMesh_IncrementalMesh
  File "/home/fjp/.config/blender/2.83/scripts/addons/STEPper/OCC/Core/BRepMesh.py", line 18, in <module>
    from . import _BRepMesh
ImportError: cannot import name '_BRepMesh' from 'OCC.Core' (/home/fjp/.config/blender/2.83/scripts/addons/STEPper/OCC/Core/__init__.py)

With blender version 2.9 its the same problem:

File "/home/fjp/.config/blender/2.90/scripts/addons/STEPper/__init__.py", line 392, in execute
    for _ in executor:
  File "/home/fjp/.config/blender/2.90/scripts/addons/STEPper/__init__.py", line 413, in main
    from . import importer
  File "/home/fjp/.config/blender/2.90/scripts/addons/STEPper/importer.py", line 10, in <module>
    from OCC.Core.BRepMesh import BRepMesh_IncrementalMesh
  File "/home/fjp/.config/blender/2.90/scripts/addons/STEPper/OCC/Core/BRepMesh.py", line 18, in <module>
    from . import _BRepMesh
ImportError: cannot import name '_BRepMesh' from 'OCC.Core' (/home/fjp/.config/blender/2.90/scripts/addons/STEPper/OCC/Core/__init__.py)

Any idea how to fix this?

Like it says on the Gumroad page with a large font, the addon is Windows only, unfortunately.

Yes I read it but was hoping it will work on Ubuntu too. Can you please give me some more insights on why Ubuntu is not supported and what has to be done to get this running?

A full recompilation of the entire OCC module, and the Python module. Monthly support with countless binary incompatibilities. More time spent on simply binaries and incompatibilities than actually developing the addon. That is what is required. Writing tutorials and debugging with at least 5 different Linux systems in VMs. On how to install and use binary modules with Blender.