Streets of Rubik's

This was a little project I’ve been wanting to make for a while: a Rubik’s cube of a street/park scene, based on a cool illustration by another artist I follow, Paul Carroll (aka Stublag).

I’m working on a few different animations based on some ideas people have given me, but for now I’ve got this one, showing off all sides of the cube and with a lot of fun little things thrown in:

And here are a couple of close-up renders showing off the details. I never really meant for these vehicles to be viewed up close, but I like how they look like toys/miniatures anyway.

All the materials in the scene are procedural (with a little help from some custom UV channels) and I used Geometry Nodes for the grass, pine trees, and smoke ring.

83 Likes

Very cool animation wish it was longer.

1 Like

This is amazing, absolutely love it🤩! You even animated it🤯!?

1 Like

Yeah, I am working on another based on a suggestion I got from someone on Mastodon - where the green sport truck traverses the cube as it shifts in front it. Currently targeting about 20 seconds, so twice as long. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks!

There are so many opportunities there (and people have given me so many suggestions) I couldn’t not animate it, haha.

What fun! Just imagine living there – I think the car stuck on the single piece of road which is trying to turn (but there’s nowhere to go) gives a good impression of the insanity.

3 Likes

Now you’ve made me want to add buildings to it. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

2 Likes

Thanks, same to you! :smile:

1 Like

That’s an awesome “expansion” of the isometric scene render idea !!

1 Like

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

2 Likes

Nice work :clap:

1 Like

That is really cool

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Thanks! I owe a lot to the creativity of the original sketch, but I was able to bring it to 3D. :grinning:

wow amazing job!

1 Like

Thanks! :smiling_face: