Suboptimal Sketchbook

yeah tighter and more volume This thing has to cover his wire hair !!

very nice hipster! How did you do the hat for him?

Here is a little breakdown of the Benaie, sorry for the crappy graphics:

I was originally inspired by this video, but I knew no way to make it wrap around the geometry and i didn’t want to unnecessarily strain my old’n’tired rig, so I used displacement instead.

cool technique !!

That’s a really nicely detailed cap, and an interesting method for creating it. I think the reason is doesn’t look tight enough is because it doesn’t look like it’s being stretched. When it was just a smooth, plain color, without texture, it looked fine. Now that it does have a texture and we can identify points on its surface, it loses the sense of tightness that it was relying on modeling alone for. I think you’d have to stretch the texture around the base of the cap to regain this stretched look.

I hope I’ve explained my idea well enough! The work is looking very good. By the way, I can’t speak for everyone, but my own beard hairs are much, much thicker than my scalp hairs. Visually, they look at least 2 or 3 times thicker. They’re also more wiry, but I’ve also seen some men with very, very straight haired beards, so wiry isn’t necessarily more believable.

thanks for the explanation.

Thanks James, i fixed it (at least I hope so), this little bit of stretching really made a massive difference. Decided to take a step back from that project for some days, to get of fresh eye for what i can improve.
So yesterday, I started out with this quick sculpt, inspired by one of the daily spitsculpt Facebook group topics, “WW 1 soldier”:

I took some ridiculous reference photos of myself for that dumb expression :smiley:

Its probably the wrong place to ask, but does anyone around here have any experiences with amd apus in conjunction with nvidia graphics? I’m planning to get a new rig, but the component choice is too hard :wink:

Update, took me quite a long time:

So, I got me a free student version of Mudbox because I got too annoyed by the performance problems with my PC in Blender, and painted the skin textures in there. But well, autodesk should rather make it freely available and be happy if anyone uses it :smiley: Though it does have some nice feaures like autoretopo and Sculpt Layers, it does’t have anything like dyntopo and the brush system almost isnt customizable at all.
Regarding the model, I want it to have like a WW1-ish feel to it, with him staring into the void day dreaming of fame and honor, maybe with some old propaganda posters in the background or something?
Anyways, he lacks interest somehow, do you have any ideas about what I could change in the skin texture or accessory that could be added?

Two versions, which one do you think fits the character better?

Excellent works, great texturing, cool style.

The first one is definitely best… The white reflections on his eyes really emphasize the whole “day-dreaming” look. Btw, cause I don’t think I bumped this thread yet, I really like the work you’ve got here!

Thanks sabotage and boss! I went with the first one as you suggested:

This is the final assembled piece ( with quite a lot post processing in Krita), all thats missing now is a proper background-Duh.
I am playing around with widescreen format and some topography, but it doesnt cut it yet.

This annoying shapening is just because of ms paint scaledown :stuck_out_tongue:

Another Dyntopo Sketch, I wanted to do a female head study and this is what it turned into by accident :smiley:
I dont really like the design, it has been done far too many times, so I’ll just leave it as is.

I love this guy, he looks both arrogant and confused at the same time. Physically capable, but somehow not quite sure about it all, an amalgam. For some reason, he reminds me of a statue I have on my porch of Tlaloc, the mexicna God of rain. Tlaloc looks like a cruise between Mayan god and where;s waldo.

Hahaha, I want to see this statue :smiley: Thanks!

First exturing exercise using Substance Designer and a tiny bit of Substance Painter, I wanted to actually use it more since they implemented that amzing 2d view yesterday, but something was buggy about the particle brushes. It’s surprising how easy it actually is to pull a passably beatiful render from Cycles if you have nice texture maps :slight_smile:

Does anyone know how to properly blend a spec map with Fresnel? I am always overlaying the Fresnel node on top of it, though I’m not quite sure if that’s physically correct.

… congratz mate for making it to the forum header, amazing new works :slight_smile:

Thanks! Where have you been for so long? :wink:
I actually have an idea for a Doctor who inspired scene, so stay tuned :evilgrin: (cheap method of trying to bind people to this thread isn’t it?)

House-Elfish thing WIP.
I just tried some different proportions with lattices, which version should I choose? YOU decide!
Now go, iron your hands Dobby.