Swmo's 2D sketchbook

Thanks Craig. Here is another one - I feel like I’m nearly getting the look I want but not quite… Learning lots though.

I love the blurring - gets a real camera photoshop feel to the DOF

Decided to do some full body studies, not just faces:

You suggest musculature really well, and your volumes are great. Have you done any time lapse stuff yet? I’m asking because I’d like to see your process in action.

No time lapse- I’m just practising and it’s not all in one session. Too much of a beginner to even know what I’m doing :slight_smile: Here are my save files though - the stages I’m kind of evolving into (which maps well to these 4 images) are:

1. Sketch (just basic proportions)
  2. Light and Shadows (usually just B&W, but not always)
  3. Colours and details
  4. Presentation

My recent improvement is down to watching alicexz on twitch. She hasn’t streamed for a while but this is a good one: http://en-gb.twitch.tv/alicexz/c/6284971
Before watching this I didn’t even consider just adding layers whenever I felt like it, or painting in B&W first, using other images to “burn” onto the image or so many other things. She’s really opened my eyes to what is possible.

I prefer the greyscale value work first and then color myself - I think it is more like the Flemish painters. I am wondering about using a warmer underlayer of browns and reds and then overlaying colors to get the skin and reflections. I like your work,and I really love the colors you end up with.

Yes, I do think it’s better to get the structure down first before being tempted to think about the colours. Colours are my favourite part though so it’s hard to resist adding them too early.

I get the feeling, looking at this, that the left leg is skinnier than her right one, and it looks like it’s just attached on as a result. I think either her right thigh needs thinning down a little bit, or her left one thickerning up (preferably the former imo) because I think it looks a little out of proportion. The initial pencil sketch looks okay from what I can tell, but it gets a bit bloated by the third one.

Yes, I see what you mean, I agree - thanks for the comments.

More practice…

My 4 year old again:

Really getting a watercolor paper feel in some of this, love it

Very very well done!!!
IMO, you should try a less heavy/contrasted shading.
Let me put it this way: The more hard lighting is the less color you see.
A good example could be, the difference between BI(no GI) and cycles rendering. OK OK, LOL, somehow.

Matisse may be a favorite or not artist for you.
However, here’s the battle of shading vs colour.
matisse nudes

Thank you both for the comments. Michalis - I see what you mean, you are right, definitely something to think about next time.

Great artistic work by you. I am really surprised to see your work here. Thanks

really, really fantastic work! can’t wait to see your progress :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for the kind words :slight_smile: Another sketch:

your sketching carries fruits, swmo. wonderful works, it is a pleasure to feast ones eyes :slight_smile:

This last one… I love it.

Hi swmo

Lovely works here, all of them, but your little boy really stands out for me, you have captured his innocence.

Look forward to seeing more here.

Shaun