Tank Game WIP

Sure bud. There is many tutorials out there to learn Blender. Everything from basics to professional levels. I will send you a pm.

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Quick question:

Anyone happen to know where I can find a Collada 1.4.1 exporter plugin for Blender 2.49? I have looked around and found many importers but those are useless to me. I’ve also seen that I might be able to jury-rig something between Blender 2.49 and 2.5+, but I’d like to avoid that.

It’s not of enormous importance. Just a friend is building a game similar to ours and would like to try out some of our maps and requires collada 1.4.1. If anyone has any insight (or a download link hehe) I’d appreciate it, thanks.

Here is a quick little vid of the first steps toward getting a turret implemented live. Some obvious issues. Just thought I’d share.

Glad I can be of assistance. I’ve always loved this kind of game. Ever play Seek and Destroy for PS2? Gotta love gravity wells =) I use Terragen in tandem with Blender, which can export terrains as .lwo, so I can do fairly low-poly photorealistic terrains. Something tells me this won’t be of much use to you, but maybe skyboxes…? I also have a massive library of textures that would need some editing to use on a U-V map, but there’s everything from Justice Cola advertisements (don’t ask) to carbon steel to brick walls to grass (and all tileable). Most of them have spec-maps and normal-maps too.
Unfortunately my computer is too slow to play the above video, but the first frame looks nice lol.

Ah that is cool man! Non-copyrighted custom textures are always a plus. As of right now, I have been making most textures, but I have zero experience in photoshop (I use a much more inferior much simpler program) so it takes me a while sometimes. We could definitely use a nice texture library especially for mapmaking. I’m pretty sure we can build a model based off of your textures that way they will go together seamlessly. I guess we can call that concept art and texture contribution all in one!

Anyway, here is a shotty vid of another turret we’ve done. This one is primarily blenderlogic’s design, so full credit goes to him. I simply moved a few things around and animated it. It is basically a rapid-fire laser turret with 4 barrels. Don’t know why the video came out so glitchy in spots but you get the idea.

Might work on geometry and animations a little more but I will put this aside for now. Also, here is a random screencap of getting the turrets to scan and target in-game. The map is completely temporary so don’t judge :stuck_out_tongue:

http://img1.uploadscreenshot.com/images/orig/4/11322300775-orig.png

They’re not U-V mapped textures. It’s raw stuff like metal and Justice Cola in a flat image. So your texture artist or I would have to cut and paste fom said textures to said U-V map.
Tracking looks complicated!!! I’m an outside-the-box 2D programmer but I know nothing of 3D code lol.

Tracking is complicated! You are right about that. I don’t know much about code either. Our programmer is a real genius though. We actually aren’t even using an engine for the sequel (what you see there). It’s all done in C++ from scratch!

As for textures, I wouldn’t worry too much about reshaping them to suit our needs. That’s what a UV-map is for right? Haha. If you want to send me something simple like that Justice Cola texture(s) you mentioned I can show you what I mean. I’m very good at adapting UV maps for textures that weren’t meant for certain models. It would just be a test though. Maybe for use later on.

No, they are raw as in RAW as in went-out-and-took-a-picture-of-grass-then-GIMPified-it-into-seamlesness RAW. No mapping done at all.

We don’t need a collada exporter anymore.
I use 2.57 and i imported a textured building into torque last night.

How can I get those images off you spiritofonyx?

I’m gonna have to trawl through them and check copyrights and stuff, then upload them to photobucket, which’ll take quite some time at 32kbps, but once that’s done, I’ll get you a link.

If you want, you can go create a 4shared account and upload them in a zip folder. It’d be so much faster and easier on your end. Or you can email them with Gmail if the file size is under 25mb.

And Sytrept, the only thing 1.3 doesn’t support is textures btw. I could upload an untextured model to you if you want. But if you are able to import map files into 2.57 from 2.49, I’ll send you anything we get, so long as you don’t go modifying like you did with R <3

I’ll look into that.
back to copyright hunting

Here’s the latest sentry turret. Geometry by blenderlogic, very small tweaks animation by me.

It will be a high power laser turret either designed for large single-shot discharge or maintained firing for a constant beam of death :] Also, not sure if I posted this yet, but here is more footage of getting the turrets to function in-game. This footage is actually done with an older model turret, so disregard that I guess. And try to avoid all of the possible “balls” comments that I know would fit this video so well :]

Also here is some background music for the main menu that my buddy came up with. I know it’s far from anything Blender-related but it goes with our game, so whatever. Will work nice for loading screens and such also. You will probably need headphones to hear any of it. The volume isn’t high enough yet.

i wouldnt mind joining the team if you dont mind. I have been using blender for some time and even have a repository of models and textures and such. I was going to start a project of my own but it seems that noone is interested in helping with it so why not join another team. you can email me at [email protected] or go to my forums at bgeprophetsproductions.info/forum.

I also have a website setup already that I was using to start my game dev but owell. bgeprophetsproductions.info . it can be modded and such.

BGE I will send you an email for sure. Thanks for offering help! The more the merrier.

In the meantime, some more gun tracking :stuck_out_tongue: The tracking itself is complete. Now onto triggering animations and rate of fire and such.

Sorry forgot i havent setup the email yet. lmao you can reach me at [email protected]

Ok no problem, I re-sent.

Just a little messing around in first person against the turrets before we get back to work :stuck_out_tongue: