TexTools for Blender

I am trying to run the PGB script (https://github.com/bpartopour/PBG) on my Mac but I get the following error:

$ /Applications/Blender.app/Contents/MacOS/Blender -b --addons textools empty.blend -P PBG.py

Blender 2.82 (sub 7) (hash 375c7dc4caf4 built 2020-03-12 05:31:51)

Read prefs: /Users/…/Blender/2.82/config/userpref.blend

found bundled python: /Applications/Blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.82/python

_______REgister previews

… .cavity

… .position

… .selection

… .diffuse

… .bevel_mask

… .id_element

… .ao_legacy

… .normal_tangent

… .paint_base

… .wireframe

… .normal_object_bevel

… .dust

… .displacment

… .id_material

… .curvature

… .ao

… .normal_tangent_bevel

… .normal_object

Read blend: /Users/…/PBG/empty.blend

Packed bed generator module (v-1.1)

by B Partopour & AG Dixon†

Heat and Mass Transfer Lab

Worcester Polytechnic Institute

Reference : https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2017.09.009

/Users/…/PBG added to system path.

Welcome to the generator

Initializing the parameters …

Filling up the bed…

Solver iterations per step: 200

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/Users/…/PBG/PBG.py”, line 61, in

simulation_current_frame = rigidbody_simulation(Particle_type, last_particle_drop_frame)

File “/Users/…/PBG/Simulator.py”, line 37, in rigidbody_simulation

part_generation(pellet_key,x_y_range,phi_range,top,vectors)

File “/Users/…/PBG/Rigidbody_generator.py”, line 49, in part_generation

location = (x[i],y[i],z[i]))

File “/Applications/Blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.82/scripts/modules/bpy/ops.py”, line 201, in call

ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)

TypeError: Converting py args to operator properties: : keyword “size” unrecognized

I installed the latest textools addon and loaded it in terminal but it seems not to make a difference. Can anyone help me with it?

Thanks

It sais 2.8 update rquired and the panel doesn’t appear to use it

Where have you downloaded the addon from?

From here: https://renderhjs.net/textools/blender/

…oh i just see a link you gave me! It’s an another one and seems like it’s working!!! How aswesome!!! Thank you very much!!! :smiley:

This add-on is a real time saver!
Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah unfortunalty renderhjs did not continue the developpement of Textools so SavMartin got the courage to port it to 2.8 ^^

2 Likes

Seems like TexTools is up and running for 2.8+. Thanks @SavMartin

As @xan2622 has linked a few posts above - available here

3 Likes

The last few days I have noticed a pretty serious bug with the Baking part of this tool. If the bake throws up an error, in my case it was because the cage had a different number of tris to the target mesh, you might find that all the meshes in your scene that weren’t involved in the bake have now been deleted. it’s happened to me both times when trying to bake a curvature map. You can go into the blender file part of the outliner and see that all the meshes that were once there, are now just empty locators.

Anyone else have this issue? I think it may be time for me to find another solution for baking and / or UV’s if this addon isn’t being developed any further.

rob if you go to post 549 in this thread darknoodles posted a fix for baking. I do not know if it addresses your problem. See if there has been an update in the addon since then and maybe send darknoodles a private message. I have not used textools yet. I have yet to bake a file. I do mainly architecture. Good luck.

Hi guys, I’ve recently started using Blender and downloaded the @SavMartin’s port of Textools. It works fine on my laptop but doesn’t seem to load properly on my desktop. Most of the tools don’t work and the icons don’t show up (inc. the “Baking preview” where you normally see preview of different maps). Has anyone experienced the same problem?

1 Like

I haven’t put the fix in public yet (except the one in the post you mentionned), but i’m gonna push the thing on GitHub when i’ll have the time. I added some features such as disabling modifiers and parents detection with a checkbox and added Roughness and Emissive baking.

I think i got this bug once… But i can’t remember what i’ve done >_<

Ok thanks. It’s weird though because I still have an old .blend file from v2.6x and once I open it (double click) the Blender opens it and Textools load just fine :thinking: I also notice the main Blender tabs (Layout, Modeling, etc) are different

I think when you open a blend file this way, it’s like opening it with the “Load UI” option checked.
Try to delete the pycache folder in Textools if there is one

I think I found what the issue is. I’m not sure 100% though. I’ve noticed that when you change the Render Engine in Render Properties to Workbench then Textools stops working. Try it yourself and see if that’s the case for you too.

1. I’ve set Render Engine to Workbench and saved the default startup file.
  2. Restarted Blender, opened UV Editing tab and Textools didn’t load properly.
  3. Then changed it to Eevee, saved default startup file.
  4. Restarted Blender and boom Textools loaded properly.

I’ve tested the Cycles engine too and works fine. For some reason it’s just Workbench that doesn’t work. Why did I use Workbench you may ask? I simply followed a tutorial on YouTube how someone has set up their UI, default settings, addons, etc. which I liked and wanted to have the same look/settings. They’ve changed the render engine to Workbench, so did I. I did this on my Desktop which caused the problem.

I believe this post will help others who may have this problem :slight_smile:

Conclusion, keep away from Workbench if you want to use Textools :wink:

1 Like

Nice you found at the solution. Well, except if you want to render something with the workbench look, there is no reason to set it as render engine as you can have the look with the solid shading in 3D view. You just have to activate Shadows and Cavity and you’re good to go :smiley:

True. I like the way Workbench renders viewport (MatCap) and I think I’ll use it but only switch the render engine once I get to unwrapping the models.

Hi all , new fix in Textools , thanks to the work of @franMarz , now the Align to world works correctly. you can download the corrected version from this link : https://github.com/SavMartin/TexTools-Blender/releases/download/TexTools_2.8x/TexTools.zip ,or directly from the @franMarz fork : https:/github.comfranMarzTexTools-BlendertreeAlign-World-not-aligning-#5-franMarz-patch

:wink:

20 Likes

Hello guys ! Well too bad i’ve been really slow for pushing my patch to Textools, but here it is.
However it won’t benefit from the last patch from the post just before this one haha XD
So @SavMartin , if you are willing to merge this, i’d be happy :slight_smile:

13 Likes