TexTools for Blender

Hi,

This is a great tool to have. Thank you for that!
But I have a problem with the UV Smoothing function. It doesn’t work. It supposed to smooth the object except for the UV seams but it smoothes UV seams as well. How can I use this function correctly?

Thanks.

UV Smoothing, as stated in the documentation here and in the tooltip, marks the uv islands boundary edges as sharp. If the seams aren’t converted to a boundary edge in UV space by an unwrap, they won’t translate to sharp edges.

1 Like

Thank you for the answer. Yes, I know that but it doesn’t translate boundary edges to sharp edges as you can see in my screenshots.

That was fixed, but your version of TexTools is heavily dated. Download the most recent TexTools from here. Instructions on how to install it are at the end of this page

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t realize there is a newer version of the addon since the one on the main page is the 1.3.0 version. If you can update that that would be great, thank you.

The original author who owns that site has abandoned the addon development a long time ago. I suggest that you look for new updates regarding this addon from the github link that @franMarz posted.

2 Likes

With Blender 2.93.0 Beta (Hash: 0f7becece7fd, dated May 25th) I get these warnings which seem easily fixable:

D:\Blender\blender-2.93.0_dev\2.93\scripts\addons_extern\TexTools-Blender\op_island_align_world.py:73: SyntaxWarning: “is not” with a literal. Did you mean “!=”?
if bpy.context.scene.tool_settings.uv_select_mode is not ‘FACE’ or ‘ISLAND’:
D:\Blender\blender-2.93.0_dev\2.93\scripts\addons_extern\TexTools-Blender\op_rectify.py:89: SyntaxWarning: “is” with a literal. Did you mean “==”?
if len(filteredVerts) is 0: return
D:\Blender\blender-2.93.0_dev\2.93\scripts\addons_extern\TexTools-Blender\op_rectify.py:90: SyntaxWarning: “is” with a literal. Did you mean “==”?
if len(filteredVerts) is 1:
D:\Blender\blender-2.93.0_dev\2.93\scripts\addons_extern\TexTools-Blender\op_rectify.py:97: SyntaxWarning: “is” with a literal. Did you mean “==”?
if len(selFaces) is 0:
D:\Blender\blender-2.93.0_dev\2.93\scripts\addons_extern\TexTools-Blender\op_rectify.py:116: SyntaxWarning: “is not” with a literal. Did you mean “!=”?
if targetFace is None or targetFace.select is False or len(targetFace.verts) is not 4:
D:\Blender\blender-2.93.0_dev\2.93\scripts\addons_extern\TexTools-Blender\op_rectify.py:171: SyntaxWarning: “is not” with a literal. Did you mean “!=”?
if len(f.verts) is not 4:
D:\Blender\blender-2.93.0_dev\2.93\scripts\addons_extern\TexTools-Blender\op_rectify.py:186: SyntaxWarning: “is” with a literal. Did you mean “==”?
if len(edgeVerts) is 0:
D:\Blender\blender-2.93.0_dev\2.93\scripts\addons_extern\TexTools-Blender\op_rectify.py:190: SyntaxWarning: “is” with a literal. Did you mean “==”?
if len(selFaces) is 0:
D:\Blender\blender-2.93.0_dev\2.93\scripts\addons_extern\TexTools-Blender\op_rectify.py:210: SyntaxWarning: “is” with a literal. Did you mean “==”?
if len(filteredVerts) is 1:
D:\Blender\blender-2.93.0_dev\2.93\scripts\addons_extern\TexTools-Blender\op_rectify.py:313: SyntaxWarning: “is not” with a literal. Did you mean “!=”?
if min is not 1000:
D:\Blender\blender-2.93.0_dev\2.93\scripts\addons_extern\TexTools-Blender\op_rectify.py:325: SyntaxWarning: “is not” with a literal. Did you mean “!=”?
if len(corners) is not 4:
D:\Blender\blender-2.93.0_dev\2.93\scripts\addons_extern\TexTools-Blender\op_rectify.py:583: SyntaxWarning: “is not” with a literal. Did you mean “!=”?
if img is not None and img.size[0] is not 0:

2 Likes

Solved in master.

1 Like

It’s been a long time, but since today I would say it is fixed. Check master.

2 Likes

Confirmed! Thank you.

1 Like

TexTools 1.4.3
New release

UV LAYOUT
Additions:

• Select zero area UV faces: aligned or coincidental UV edges or vertices that are not aligned or coincidental in the 3D mesh will be detected and selected if they make up a null UV face
  • Centralize: moves the islands as close as possible to the 0-1 space without introducing changes in the texture projection: i.e., moves the islands an integer magnitude. Having the UVs next to the 0-1 UV space domain is important for precision in the operations, layout organization and to save memory while working and in the saved assets

Fixes:

• Rectify: Zero length edges on the UVs, if were part of the active face, were making the script crash
  • Fill tool: Re-establish previous functionality, allowing distortion of the UVs again
  • Mirror: Removed unnecessary “use_proportional_edit” argument; operate on faces instead of islands
  • Select Flipped: operate on faces instead of islands; this way it should be more useful in combination with Mirror for fixing flipped UVs
  • Randomize: Some operations won’t happen from now on in case of empty selection
  • Better saving and restoration of the selection, especially when working in Vertex or Edge selection mode in 3D view, or if combining multiple selection modes.
  • Texel density set and get: the buttons were greyed out if entering edit mode without a selection (using the “active object fallback”)

BAKING
Additions:

• Added ability to choose the output color space for the texture per bake: sRGB or Linear (Non-Color)
  • New background color property in the preferences as a default, and in the Baking panel. Any solid, transparent or semi-transparent background is supported
  • Added 14 new bake modes for completion of the Principled BSDF possible channels: sss color, sss strength, transmission, transmission roughness, clearcoat, clearcoat roughness, sheen, sheen tint, anisotropic, anisotropic rotation, specular, specular tint, alpha and emission strength

Fixes:

• Removed 256 max color limitation
  • Avoid possible problems if Vertex Colors was selected as baking target (possible since Blender 2.92)
  • For centain modes, baking is no further allowed (bake button disabled) if a required material or a Principled BSDF node is not present in some of the selected objects; a custom message is now displayed below the bake button informing on the matter
  • Remove data instead of objects for temporary bake objects: no more deletion info messages showing in console
  • Removed unnecessary use of user_clear() before data removal using do_unlink as an argument for remove(): no more showing of the alert “ID user decrement error” in console
  • There was a problem with the baking image not being reused if its source was a file. It is fixed now, so that re-baked textures nodes don’t get unset and de-linked in the materials, and the texture itself can be saved while in the UV / Image Editor without specifying its path again

GENERAL

• Fixed amiss use of “is” in several modules, causing SyntaxWarnings in the console
  • No more loading of unused modules and classes in several operators and in settings.py
  • Adjusted default padding: Padding affects some UV Layout operators besides the baking processes. In the Layout operators, a padding of 8 (previously, the default for textures => 1024) is usually too high, and in the bakes, it isn’t needed to be as high either. It can be adjusted manually anyway in the TexTools panel, as always

40 Likes

Hmm… the previous versions worked in Blender 3.0. But now this:

If you still want to use this version in 3.0, you can fix that line yourself pretty easily. But I’m not assuring you other problems wouldn’t arise. No issue should be fixed for that version for now because everything could change.

2 Likes

Oh I see… thanks! :+1:

Great job @franMarz ,thx for making Textools grow bigger and better. :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

here is a 3.0 fix i made.
TexTools_1_4_3-3.0_FIX.zip (1.8 MB)

EDIT: This should also work with 2.93 as well older versions.

7 Likes

Thanks! This works :+1:

1 Like

You made it possible. Thank you.

3 Likes

Updated release:

• Used a more generic approach for the Blender version gathering that will work even if Blender versioning policy changes prior to the 3.0.0 release. Based on the Lamia’s fix. Thank you Lamia.
  • This doesn’t guarantee fully compatibility with the current early versions of Blender 3.0 though. Again, please refer to the following TexTools project for tracking on specific 3.0.0 issues:

And download the following updated release if you plan to use TexTools with 3.0 anyway:

In any case, please don’t forget to report on any bug you find in any Blender version, so it can be properly tracked and solved in a timely manner.

15 Likes

Thanks for the updates, you do the real work man :smiley:

4 Likes