Thanks blender 3.0 for destroying months of my work

i was working on animations and rigs using blender 2.83 and everything was ok i maked more then a 20 animation and everything was ok but now after i decided to updating to blender 3 and i opens my project to continue my work using version 3 everything was ok but after i closed it and reopens it i got this problem every armature of my project are moving but the mesh not moving with it like the video

vokoscreen-٢٠٢١-١٢-١١_٢٠-٢٧-٤٥.mkv (2.1 MB)

Blender should save versions of your files in system temp folder. Search for an autosave from before you’ve changed versions, and keep using 2.83.

2 Likes

the file not on my temp anymore i tried to open it many times after the problem happens so the app created more temp of the problem and removed the original file

How do you know it is broken? You should be able to fix the issue as long as the file opens fine.

1 Like

Just as a suggestion. Besides keep backups on backups and backups of your backups. Breaking changes are announced in blenders release notes. Before moving entirely to a new version you should always check. This is true of any application but blender announces their breaking changes with the rest of their release notes which makes it very easy to follow. It is also very strange that the backups are not in your temp history. Do you auto-clear your temps? if so, that is a bad idea. A lot of data that is sometimes important to app functionality is stored in the temps and it is generally a bad idea to clear the temps or registry clean or anything else unless you are extremely clear on what you are changing or altering. Based on how you are describing your ““temp”” it sounds like you are describing the blend2 file, not the temps. Go to file, recover, autosave. That is where the temps are saved.

4 Likes

i checked them all but they are what saved after the problem happens because i tried to fix it many times so the fixed one was removed

I assume that any save you made was incremental (if not, sucks to be you), and if so, why not just continue with 2.83. You do know that you are not restricted to just one version of Blender, don’t you?

1 Like

I feel for you because this is a mistake me and every other animator has gone through at some time or another. There should still be a way to fix it but these are avoidable problems that you just need to be conscious of in the future. I keep an external and a second external backup of that backup for everything I do. I can’t afford to lose my clients work like that. I hope you get your work back and I hope this also helps you get to a place where you can avoid it in the future. You wouldn’t be a true animator if you haven’t gone through this at least once. Just live, learn, rebuild, move on. I hope it is still recoverable but if not, blender foundation warned you. Just pay attention to that stuff in the future. There is no shame in making the mistake as long as you learn from it.

4 Likes

It is a file breaking change. It actually clears the graphs.

the file destroyed after i opened it with version 3 and opening it with version 2.83 not fixing it

Yeah you need a file that you never saved with blender 3.0

1 Like

Are you saying that you always work on the same version of your file - no incremental saves?

1 Like

I am working on a version control ish type addon for blender. It is going to be a while because I am developing some third party software to handle it, but it will resolve this issue (this issue being loss of backup versions). There are some things in BPY that make this a bit difficult but when I release it I will try to remember to send you a copy for free. It will help manage your project and manage older versions and things like that. Even still, it won’t be a complete replacement for good habits. I don’t know how long it will be though before I release it though. There is quite a bit of work going into the third party software involved with it. Like I said, just keep backups of your backups and never work in the backup file. Open your backup and save as a new file immediately before trying to ““fix”” anything

someone help me please to fix this problem

I mean, I am not sure what else anyone here can do. If you didn’t keep proper backups, you didn’t pay attention to release notes, and you didn’t keep duplicate saves when altering files, and you don’t have your backup versions set to a high enough number, I am really not sure how anyone could. You now have a very unique situation. If there is a solution, it will be very unique to you and what you have done so far. Perhaps someone knows but it is seriously unlikely because we cannot read your mind and know every single micro detail of the actions you have taken. Even if I jumped on a remote session with you right now it is unlikely me or anyone else would know enough about what you did to fix anything if you have covered all the check boxes we have listed.

I really am not trying to come across completely useless but this is a real problem we all go through and I feel it is important to compound the point that this is a learning moment hopefully. I and everyone else here if they are being honest has gone through this to some degree in the past. The key is what you will do from here on out.

3 Likes

Do you keep at least one of those projects whose .blend file has not been saved/overwritten from Blender 3.0?
If so, first you make a copy of the .blend file and rename the copy to something like “possible_bug.blend”. Then you share that “possible_bug.blend” file here to see if other users can reproduce the problem by opening it from 3.0.

2 Likes

Maybe detach the mesh for the skeleton and re-rig it and retarget the new skeleton to the old animated one?
If you aren’t too sure of something always save a backup because sometimes you might want to go back to that file in case you need to redo something. Kinda like a safe stage save incase you need to go back.

So sorry to hear about the issue you are having. Try retargeting to the old animated armatures or maybe reskin to the old armatures again?

1 Like

detach the mesh for the skeleton and re-rig it and retarget the new skeleton to the old animated one?

after i doing that i getting a weird glitch for my mesh

Hmmm

A suggestion:

Open the file afresh.
Put everything in a new collection save as a new file say ABX.blend. Open a new blank clean version of Blender 3.0, Go to File–Append, navigate to this new file ABX.blend and go to Collections and click that collections.

It will import everything in that collection to the new clean file, see if it fixes anything.

1 Like

This is the only report I have found that could be related to the problem you have:
https://developer.blender.org/T93618

Obviously the problem does not always occur, because otherwise the bug tracker would be full of similar reports. To try to figure out when the problem occurs, it would be good if you find some of those .blend files where you have not yet overwritten the file from Blender 3.0, to share with developers.

3 Likes