The 2008 Blender Conference Suzanne awards, and Animation Festival.

I don’t have Virtual Dub and I don’t run Windows. I produce 100% inside of blender, from model to animation to final render.

I did find an answer to one of my questions (which I have not seen provided on this list), which is how to render at one frame rate that which was animated at a different frame rate: http://www.ffnn.nl/pages/articles/media/blender-tips-and-tricks.php

So now all I lack is the precise best audio/video settings for encoding the project, the details of which are still not provided is a complete, deterministic form. If there are any blender conference people reading this thread, PLEASE ANSWER!

macouno: after doing some research it seems that the preferred method of taking film at 24 fps to PAL at 25 fps is to just change the frame rate and crush the audio. It runs 4% faster, but that’s significantly better than trying to do any kind of resampling.

Does the jury look at things in their original format and you only convert later for showing at the festival, or do they watch the converted versions?

A few responses:

1. I am not going to give you every last detail about encoding… I am not 100% sure what exactly I’ll be using myself (probably defaults and setting the compression level to something acceptable). It all depends on how long the final videos will be. It comes down to:

As long as you render at 25fps, xvid or divx avi, no ffmpeg, no aspect ratios and square pixels, audio in 44.1khz wav or mp3 (mp3 256kbs is fine)… that will end up looking nice.

1. For submitting, yes you need to submit a link to your file. I fyou have no place to upload you can consider vimeo. They have a setting that allows people to download your original file.

2. I will make compilations for the committee to review. I can not assume they have every codec installed. The last few years have proven that people submit all sorts of things. This will also be my first test to see whether I can edit all submitted files. So in harkyman’s case… they will see it at 25fps.

In that case, I’ll re-fps it and do the audio crunch myself, so I can see what’s going to the committee before they see it. I’ll re-submit through the form ASAP.

25 fps is the default speed right? or 24, 26, 27, 28, 29, or 30?

no ffmpeg? Linux Blender doesn’t have the option “avi codec.” Ffmpeg is what I use. I don’t have room on my small hard drive to render raw.

Red Moose… yes but all I have on my system that can open/edit ffmpeg files is blender, which is not my video editor of choice… so I’d need to do an extra conversion, and I can not guarantee the quality. Last year I had lots and lots of issues with files generated with ffmpeg. So… what you submit is up to you, I just gave some pointers that should guarantee the quality.

One more question…
When we submit the video via the submission form, are we supposed to specify what category we would like it to be in?

that’s a shame, because it’s also the only way on linux to output movies from blender with audio. so basicly, linux users can only submit wav files together with huge avi jpeg?

.b

Red Moose: the committee will nominate a work for a category, you don’t have to mention that at all.

basse: I’m sure there’s some way to do it, but yes… not in blender internally.

macouno: I just resubmitted my animation via the form on blender.org. The new submission points to a 1080p, 25fps version so you won’t have to resample or change the frame rate. If you remember it when you go to do all of this, please try to use this latest one. It’ll be easier for you, and turn out better for me. Thanks!

Can the deadline be moved up to EARLY October because for some people that barely finished script and need to start animating…and have school comittments… not that simple! :yes: So just wondering…(why is there not a “I BEG U!!!” smiley?)

Please from here too. I’m struggling to finish and still have it decent in time.
Another question. Why can’t I just e-mail the file to you? It would save me a ton of time.
/Becs

Well emailing a .avi, or .mpeg if u may have tried before is VEEEEEERRRYYYY slow.

What?
I’m on linux too, and I can render an AVI in many codecs, with audio. It’s a sub-option of ffmpeg, under the video tab. Have I missed something?

I second that question. I added a note on mine (a vimeo download link) saying it was an SA entry. Now I’m getting nervous, though. Did it go through?

Maybe an automated confirmation email would be worth adding to the submission form, just for jittery people like me who don’t always trust web technology.

Oh, Ok. I didn’t know. I e-mail quicktime files all the time, so I didn’t really know. Thanks!

Wait…U email Quicktime files? I’ve tried that and that’s sorta what i meant! :eek: How many kb? What email client do u use?

The files are anywhere between 3 and 6 mb and I’m not sure what an e-mail client is. :confused: I know I’m a dummy when it’s not CG. I HAVE A SUPER-MAC!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

well u know like, gmail, yahoo, aol… And ok, i have a macbook pro 10.5 leopard and a desktop (now ubuntu(live the open source dream)) with Hardy Heron…

Anyore bout extending the deadline? PPPPlllllzzzz