The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Yeah, but a lot of things have changed since then. The 2.80 release cycle was so extremely occupied with fixing the UI and UX that a lot of this stuff fell to the wayside. The feature freeze lasted a long time as well, so I am pretty sure no work was being done on it for most of this year.

If we keep poking the bug report and bring it to their attention we could hopefully see it fixed sooner rather than later. You should jump on this thread and tell Sergey that this should be a much higher priority than it currently is.

https://developer.blender.org/T58473

1 Like

This method hasn’t been used for ten years. Of course you want to sculpt High-Rez detail for the baking of several maps. This is the entire point of apps like Substance Painter. And Yes you want Details to propagate down from High-Rez all the way to the Base Mesh, Otherwise the baked map’s won’t look proper or realistic when placed on the Low-Rez mesh.

Yes, that’s all well and good if you’re working on your own, but pipeline-wise in a team/studio… not good. This isn’t really a good way of looking at it - ‘it works for my purposes and if the lower level explodes it doesn’t matter as I have a copy of the mesh saved…’

With all of these updates to Sculpt Mode and the potential that it has as a really serious industry standard sculpting tool, I think ironing out the inconsistencies of a primarily important workflow like multi-level sculpting should be of paramount interest to anyone enthusiastic about sculpting in Blender. Personally I’m just dipping my toes as I use Zbrush, but I have become increasingly interested in where this might be heading. This is why people are passionate about it, and this is actually a good thing.

7 Likes

You mean this method has been a cornerstone VFX/film technique for nearly 20 years? :grin: Displacement map painting in Mari has been industry standard since the first LOTR film, and has become even more common since the inception of Surface Mimic and TXYZ.

Even in games in recent years more and more normal detailing work is being done in 3D texture painting instead of sculpted to a high res.

Displacement/Normal mapping in the texturing stage is much more pipeline friendly than rebakes/resculpts.

6 Likes

Did you even see the time it took to use Apply Base on my sculpt in my bug report earlier? Is this what you call functional?

1 Like

This renders the multiresolution aspect almost useless. If you can’t jump back and forth between them, then you might as well just use the new remesh or the detail flood fill from Dyntopo to increase the resolution.

4 Likes

No it hasn’t your confusing Scan data and Displacement maps such as the ones created by companies like:

Which is used with High-Rez Sculpting. And it is an effective mix. But I was responding to a post that was confusing things with Texel Density. Simple fact is if you propagate the details to the base mesh you will maintain a Unified Silhouette which is better for map baking. And we mix High-Rez sculpting in Mari with maps such as this. And since some of those Weta artists were my students, I may know what I am talking about.

2 Likes

:rofl: I’m a long term customer and user of TXYZ, and Surface Mimic before that. TXYZ maps are scans(as you obviously know)

I know exactly what you’re talking about. I use both scanned humans and scanned 3-channel disp maps on a daily basis. Probably a misunderstanding between us, as I also use a hybrid Zbrush>Mari>Zbrush workflow.

Texel density-wise, UDIMs and HD sculpting in Zbrush, however I agree that a lot o people still don’t understand the polygon density to texel density relationship and are sculpting on meshes that their single 4K map will never be able to capture.

3 Likes

If I sound like a prick, sorry: for pores and other microdetails you need to bake into textures, an improvement to the texture/paint part of Blender can be a great workaround and peraphs the best route: it will help sculptors by giving them the microdetails, it will fill some void parts of Blender paint. You’ll not have microdetails through sculpting yet you’ll have microdetails nonetheless by painting displacement, without the need to use other apps. Peraphs this is why Pablo announced multilayer/channel painting? Because the sculpting of microdetails is the very last phase of the sculpting, so it doesn’t really change much if you move that phase to the texturing part. See on youtube “Substance Painter 2019.1 : Realtime displacement and SSS” to see what I mean. Again sorry if I sound insensitive to those that wanna sculpt from point A to point Z (in the end painting most likely require UV, and unwrapping can be really tedious and mood-breaking, but since someone talked about >baking microdetails< then unwrapping its an inevitable step) , no malice really.

1 Like

Hello!

Where have the add segments/bones or what it now was called on the pose brush been moved?

Can not find it anymore;

1 Like

Wasn’t that teased as a 2.82 feature? Don’t recall ever being able to change the amount of bones available in the Pose brush even when the sculpt branch was actively developed.

1 Like

oh, maybe you are right :o Maybe I just want to remember that I have used it once :stuck_out_tongue:

I wanted to test it out not, and got mad because I could not find it !

My bad if it is not there yet!

Hahahaha. It’s not that simple.
It’s all about their studio, if it’s not high priority there, then all you can do is wait. :wink:

Actually real life sculptors always have to worry about their sculpt cracking, bending, exploding, melting etc. Understanding the material they are dealing with is a prerequisite for a sculptor, lets claim that multires is such. And this current state of MM forces the Blender sculptors to be more diligent.

2 Likes

LMAO. That’s the best shitpost of the month. Congratz man. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

For sure, happy to see people enjoying the humor.

1 Like

Never had an issue with Blender’s multi-res. All my dinosaur skull and bone models have been produced with it and also the elephant I was messing about with earlier in the year (hopefully re-visit and finish sometime).

Before sculpting I make sure the base-mesh is final and doesn’t need topology modifications which I understood was a prerequisite for multi-mesh modelling.

I messed around with Zbrush a while back (a graphic design studio I used to work at had a copy, that UI, shudder!) and found that topology edits after subdivision tended to produce funkyness. What I learned from those Zbrush experiments is what inspired my current Blender multires technique.

That was a few years ago, I don’t know if Zbrush handles this better now, I suppose it would be a good feature to have but as it stands MR currently works for me.

2 Likes

You guys aren’t even considering some of the worst things that Multires can do to your mesh:

Unless you have backup saves, there is absolutely no coming back from that, and it can happen randomly at any time during the sculpting process. Even undo doesn’t repair it, and I reported it as an issue three years ago. Multires should in no way be considered production safe. Lock it behind an ‘Experimental’ checkbox somewhere if need be, but selling Blender’s base tools as safe to use is an absolute lie as long as Multires is floating around in its current state.

8 Likes

I have personally never seen that particular bug in action, but yeah, I fully agree. That is just completely broken.

Multires biggest issue isn’t about topology changes, as far as I know, there’s no software that can maintain subdivision levels if the base mesh changes topology.
The real problem is, if you go back to the lowest subdiv level and make even a small change in the form or silhouette of the model, then the highest subdivision levels won’t propagate those changes properly and will give you horrible unfixable spikes, or worst it will destroy the mesh, like in the video posted by @m9105826
The whole idea of having a multilevel sculpt system is to have the possibility of going back to the lowest level, fix the eye’s size for example, and go back to the highest level with all the wrinkles and details intact. If that can’t be done with multires, then it’s pretty much the same as adding detail directly in dyntopo…

6 Likes