The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

It’s a rare one for sure, but the fact that it can happen at all is reason enough to put the feature on ice until it’s fixed in my opinion. If such a bug made it out into Maya, Mudbox, or ZBrush, there would be a hotfix within the week because of how much it would hurt the perception of the product. Blender has let it sit somehow for nearly a decade.

4 Likes

New changes made by Brecht to sculpt performance by changing the way multithreading works (TBB instead of BLI_task, whatever that means):

https://developer.blender.org/rB86042b7ced948cda215f002c125c8d850887eff0
https://developer.blender.org/rB6c302d6529ec5283334e5ef40d07cc46534f5020

3 Likes

Another good one.
Reported three years ago. :open_mouth:

And yet people still want this shipping with blender. Go figure.

don’t you use deforming brushes when sculpting? 'cause the following does look like multires is in a state where it’s not working even on a basic level for anybody.

Hmm strange, I’ve never had that issue personally. I go up and down the levels making adjustments or perform vertex tweaking on the base-mesh then back into multi-res, all without bugs or breaking the mesh.

If that can’t be done with multi-res, then it’s pretty much the same as adding detail directly in dyntopo

From my perspective it can be (and is) done with multi-res, I do it all the time. Dyntopo (which I use for creative/freeform and template sculpting) wouldn’t work for me. The master (multi-res) model is reused to multiple purposes, a modified 3D print version which I sell on Shapeways and a mid-res version with baked details which I use for display renders.

If there’s bugs they should be fixed, I’ve never said otherwise, I’m just saying that this feature can be used successfully, I use it successfully.

2 Likes

Mostly brush, clay grab and smooth.

Uh… you seem to have it backward? The painted texture detail will still get propagated to the silhouette through tesselation/microdisplacement in the final render. But if you’re sculpting tiny details like skin, divorced from the proper albedo, roughness, etc, then that has no chance of ever looking realistic. I’m sure it looks great on a matcap, but that’s not the point, right?

All that is if you even need that level of detail in the first place. Unless you’re doing a cosmetics video or a CU, nobody will notice your meticulously sculpted skin pores.

Hi guys,
I decided to give the sculptbranch a spin and wow I love wat Pablo and the foundation are doing.
I sculpted her on a (medium)highresolution mesh(broken multires).To save me some time I started from a basemesh created by Manuelbastioni’s Lab addon. The PoseBrush is already a classic.

Screens: WIP WARNING NUDITY

and the basemesh by Manuelbastioni’s Lab

quick render + paintover (The base texture is also generated with the LAB addon)

Cheers !

8 Likes

then please watch the video, reproduce the steps shown and let us know what happened as a result. because i can’t use grab 100% of the time since 2.80 released - it always crumbles my sculpt and every detail sculpted on a higher level reliably.

1 Like

And people still get surprised when I say my multires sculpting projects have around 200 saved progress states. I’ve had this problem as well as the single vertex poking through the mesh enough times to know better.

2 Likes

I’ve watched the video, I’m not saying (and have never said) there’s not an issue and as I metioned in an earlier reply, bugs should be fixed.

I’m just saying that projects can be undertaken successfully using multi-res, I’ve done it multiple times and continue to do it. I do recognise that currently multi-res requires a very specific workflow (one it seems I’m compatible with).

I’d be happy to see an improved multi-res (when I’ve got a machine that can run 2.8) :grin:.

I vote we rename it…

Blood, Sweat, and Broken Features: The Blender Multires Modifier Story, and Also Some Neat Brushes Made By This Guy Named Pablo.

3 Likes

Waaayy back when I was still using ZBrush (until a few months ago, when Pablo lured me away to his Sculpt Mode factory :grin:), I remember the eternal issue of a mesh losing its base mesh shape after subdividing. The base mesh changes shape and loses volume, which is not reversible once you’ve subdivided.

sounds like you’re not even using blender 2.80. could that be the case? up until vers 2.79 multires worked at a serviceable level which would explain why you’re able to finish work using it.

right now i get the impression that 2.8 is a rushed release to satiate the hype building up around the modernized ui and eevee. at least it got the job done to bring corporate memberships jumping onboard. it hurts to say, but on a pure workflow level blender 2.79 is ahead of 2.80.

I wasn’t around back then, but I vaguely recall reading something similar happening during the transition from old, old Blender to the new 2.5 UI. It took a few point releases before it became all around stable, didn’t it?

Wouldn’t surprise me if this ended up being true. Big changes always bring big bugs.

1 Like

That looks awesome! As usual :slight_smile:

Good to see you back LL!
And a pleasure to see new sculpts from you. Haven’t seen anything new from you even on ArtStation.

Hope to see more, both here and on ArtStation.

I didn’t get far with Zbrush, I know it’s the business and people have done great things with it but it annoyed the hell outta me. I’ve seen some untidy desks over the years (mine included) but that UI was like trying to find something in a hoarder’s garage! Another thing that irritated me was that the sculpt object was presented as a tool for the 2.5D canvas. Like I said that was years ago, hopefully Pixologic have worked out what kind of program Zbrush should be by now.

1 Like

I’m exclusivelely using 2.79 for sculpting, 2.8 semi-works on my laptop but my main desktop machine is far too decrepid. I wasn’t previously aware there was a sculpting depreciation from 2.7 to 2.8.

Not that I care about having the latest software, I use what works for me but as I see it 2.79 is the most mature product of the 2.5 lineage and 2.8 is the most immature version of something new. So hopefully in time a bit of spit and polish will bring it up to speed.

That said the issues of some users show that sculpting needs special attention, especially multi-res. I just wish everyone could have the same trouble free usage I’ve had.

Funniest thing I read all day; it’s still exactly the same. :smiley:

2 Likes

To be fair, the BF did remove all mention of it in the official features page and reduced it to a footnote in the manual. That handful of features that aren’t ready for production has historically been an issue with FOSS in general, and a good chunk of that simply comes down to not having enough resources to cover the whole app. at once. Hopefully, this becomes far less of an issue with the BF now able to pay a full-sized team in conjunction with their efforts to increase volunteer development.

That said, it’s not so much a FOSS-only issue these days as apps. in general become more complex and more expansive, there are plenty of complaints from Unity, Unreal, and even Maya users regarding broken features. Your best bet these days (in terms of everything being ready for prime time) is in more focused apps. by smaller vendors.

That is not to mention that Multires has been a major pain point in Blender’s perception as something to take seriously, which means it would be more than welcome to see Pablo and Brecht start overhauling chunks of the code to turn it into something fully functional and modern.

1 Like