The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Just tested the quad (riflow) and voxel remesher in a current Blender buildbot and was nicely surprised how a good job they can do on some of the sculpt i tested with them (i mean nicely surprised in comparison to the only remesher Blender had before with the horrible Remesh modifier because it’s obvious that’s far from a zbrush remesher), with Quadriflow doing a noticable better job too.

But i also noticed that quadriflow is taking a surprising long time to remesh even something very well under 100k vertices.
Is this normal because it’s unfortunately just a slow algorithm or (and i hope) can we expect some very noticable speed up of this remesher (at least up to the voxel one that is quite fast) with the BF many performance improvement forcused tasks ?

I am guessing that is an IO issue.

I compiled latest build and it looks to me that the Brush Cursor is too jittery now can anyone try it with few days old build, I don’t have one to compare it to…just to make sure before reporting a bug.
Jitter

Weird thing is that even basic UV editing has become sluggish

Checked the normal radius?

Of course but i am talking about the default settings, I still have the sculpt branch but it’s old if you compare it to the most current one there is a big difference which i noticed the moment i opened Blender, it wasn’t like this yesterday so it must be new code that affected it’s behavior.

Here is my comparisson with factory settings on both.
Jitter

Core Blender devs were suffering severe 2.8 fatigue and desperately wanted to move on. At some point you have to decide when it´s “good enough for now”. I´m sure another factor was a lot of big patches waiting for review.

1 Like

I can confirm the Sculpt Mode brush jitter in today’s master build (Oct 10th).

1 Like

That plain doesn’t matter - zbrush works, works fast, is reliable, and customizable. The UI actually works really well in my opinion, you can make it into anything you like. If you need to learn a tool just learn it…

3 Likes

Normal Radius affects the way the cursor interacts with the mesh. The lower the value the more sensitive it is. Try to increase the value and see if that helps first.

Never mind, I noticed the jittery movement as well while doing some quick testing. Should probably report it, @Zino.G.

The default normal radius in sculpt branch is 0.2, in master is 0.5. Is that it? :thinking:

EDIT: Yep, just tested it, jittery happening.

Wireframe fix side effects?

Pablo made a patch that added the option to toggle anti-aliasing for painting brushes so you are allowed to paint pixel art as well.

https://developer.blender.org/D6044

The trick is to deactivate SMT button>subdivide once or twice>reactivate>subdivide :wink:

Alternatively, use RyansTools plugin>Smart Subdiv

The trick here is Ctrl+Z :laughing:

But yes, you are right, that is a bug that’s been there for years.

2 Likes

As I mentioned above, this is fine for a person working alone, or on a personal project. but in a team/studio project where there might be multiple changes over months(or even years) this is not acceptable. Also, the point here isn’t topological changes, it’s silhouette/form changes.

Zbrush can import topological changes to an active subtool(or directly to an active layer) and it will project/propagate up the levels. There is also Freeze Subdivision, which does the same within the program.

5 Likes

Playing around with the Scrape brush settings like Strength and Jitter can produce some fun and fast results. :smile:

3 Likes

Made another bug report regarding Voxel. Seems like the projection artefacts issue was not 100% fixed in some edge cases (get it? :smile:).

https://developer.blender.org/T70717

1 Like

Has this ever been reported by someone else other than you ? Because I’ve never seen this problem on display before. And if this is the only bug report of its kind I can see why developers would hesitate spending precious time trying to replicate it and instead assume something was wrong on your end, like the actual base mesh being broken.

Now for me, Blender multires has worked ‘fine’ up until 2.80, from there on it has been rather broken with weird smoothing artifacts as I subdivide and problems with lower level detail propagating onto higher levels.

For this reason I still use 2.79 for multires sculpting, best case scenario would be a total rewrite of multires (it would probably take a mad genius like Pablo Dobarro something like 3 days :slight_smile: ) which solves the whole ‘apply base’ workflow (and added other features like ‘layers’, one can dream), but I would be ok with 2.80 just getting rid of the 2.80 bugs and bring it back to 2.79 level functionality.

1 Like

Yep. reported and Pablo is on it.
Edit: Fixed by Brecht :+1: Fix T70715: sculpt brush jitter after recent TBB changes

5 Likes

lol this thread is the testing lab of sculpt mode :joy:

2 Likes