The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Thanks man.

Ah yes. I see, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

I’m wondering: when I install a Pablo-Sculpt-Mode-on-steroids build, is there a reference somewhere where I can read about the available tools and keyboard shortcuts?

Not sure about that, but you can follow the commit log to be aware of what new in the branch.

2 Likes

The Quadremesher/Zremesher developer can use a bridge-interface addon for blender to comunicate with his application, like JoseConseco did for the Allegorithmic Baker.exe https://bartoszstyperek.wordpress.com/2016/01/25/batchtool-baker/ , that way there is no infringement of any terms between GPL and closed-source. You should notice him about that workaround.

1 Like

Hi guys,
I’m the QuadRemesher/ZRemesher dev,
Thanks Tosky, I’m sure this may help.

20 Likes

Hello.
Many Blender users run the program on some Linux distribution. Mentioning this just in case for you to better think about cross-platform support.

Edit:
About how to contact blender developers to clear any questions about your Blender plugin, this is the official forum:
https://devtalk.blender.org/c/blender

Probably less than 10% of the users. :rofl:

2 Likes

Sockets and an external server program are another option. This is how Octane and Chaos Theory have gotten around GPL issues in the past

1 Like

Well, if you believe this poll, it’s sitting at around 19% when I last checked.

1 Like

Hahaha, even on BA where we got the most extreme hardcore blender users, only 19%? Then I guess worldwide it must be less than 1%. :rofl:

No, it hovers around 2%. The real depressing stat is that smartphones are taking over, Android (which is Linux based) is at 70% of the total market. I have seen in my area stores that cater to PC builders have gone out of business and we only have online stores now. Although some laptops are powerful enough to run modern DCCs and renderers, I can see it getting to a point when desktops are not supported. :frowning:

1 Like

What’s with the laughter at people using Linux? Does the idea that people may use other platforms others than the one you use entertain you?

If anything any serious Blender user should at least have an instance of Linux installed for sheer rendering speed alone.

But lets not change the topic of the thread.

I haven’t seen anybody anywhere being the least concerned.

2 Likes

blender dev forum is probably full of linux users that we didnt consider in the poll. but they are programmers, i don’t know if inviting them in the poll will be a good representation of the “user base” ?

Deep breath, dude. I was laughing at the numbers, I never thought it was so bad.
I run linux from time to time, not for 3D of course, it’s just too much hassle.

I don’t think it would make much of a difference tbh.

21% Linux users out of 97 votes from BA users. Not so important data. Without telemetry we can only assume. Nothing more.

2 Likes

I saw his tweet earlier but can’t find it now. But where would he (or anyone else) get that idea? I haven’t seen any mention or reference of blender code being used for the QuadRemesher/ZRemesher, not here or in the polycount forum… I mean, this comes from the guy that made the ZRemesher for Zbrush, it doesn’t have anything to do with Blender, people are just asking for a Blender version.

3 Likes

Where? What people? That’s nonsense. He’s building software that can do things that Blender can’t. There’s no part of Blender he could possibly use.

It’s rude to cast such aspersions without damn solid proof.

This is why the Blender community gets such a bad rap. There’s always that one guy… Sigh.

8 Likes

Numbers might be low among everyday PC users, but Linux is used by 90% of the animation/VFX industry. It may be a hassle for you to use, but saying “of course not for 3D” is not so obvious.

3 Likes

Hardcore GPL advocates absolutely think that even using the code for software interoperability(like an addon that pushes data out of Blender and back in, through a black box) is bypassing the GPL. The viral nature of the license kind of demands it but I think it’s a silly position to take. I don’t know if Pablo falls into that camp but he was definitely complaining in a now deleted tweet about Blender users advocating a developer to bypass the GPL to profit off Blender code and not contribute. He also said something about the code already being in Blender. He was being vague but I can see Zremesher being the topic since it’s currently floating around on polycount and this thread.

It’s really annoying when someone deletes a tweet that has replies because there’s no way to follow up. It’s bad for the author too because now the people that saw it can misquote him so I apologize if I recalled what he said incorrectly.

1 Like