The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

We did have that one guy who had renamed Blender and was selling it, Ton and company shrugged their shoulders. It didn’t last that long as it takes a lot of work to do that, keeping up with updates and bug fixes. I have seen the pain the Otoy developers have to go through to keep the Octane plugin working.

If the Zremesher dev wants to jump into those waters, I say go for it. :slight_smile: It’s going to be painful unless or until Blender has a proper API for plugins. He may not want to go through the whole process, or deem it unprofitable?

1 Like

Unlike with Octane where they have to support the realtime viewport preview and such, it’s not much of a process for just a remesher. Mesh data goes out (maybe with some Grease Pencil guides and/or a density vertex group), mesh data comes back. An MIT licensed bridge would be pretty trivial for a seasoned developer. Or even it could just write the data to disk and call an exe, a little slower but no muss, no fuss.

2 Likes

Oh, I did not know about this.
Anyway, whether it was that way or not, not even being something OpenSource for what Pablo or some blender dev can adapt and incorporate to this branch, ZRemesher discussions on this thread is really becoming off topic.

2 Likes

That’s simply a made up number. In 12 years in the industry working at various production houses across both games and film I saw maybe a few dozen people running 'nix machines, and those were almost solely technical artists and supes. Render farms are another matter, but actual artists overwhelmingly use Windows.

Not sure about other parts of the industry but bigger players in VFX all use mostly linux. ILM, Weta, MPC, Framestore, Double Negative etc. That’s not saying that some artists can’t request a windows box, people using zbrush for example have 2 boxes and a switch, but the pipeline itself is centered around linux not just for everyday tasks but for publishing work and pipeline related things.
Again, this is for the big production houses, don’t know about other parts of the industry nowadays.

2 Likes

Yeah, the bigger the house, the more likely it is to have embedded technical support, so they will use Linux. The smaller houses (say up to twenty people) use Windows. So far for me it’s been a 50-50 mix.

1 Like

Actually, for me running Ubuntu is a lot less trouble free than using windows… And as mentioned before the render-speed alone is worth it. I’ve had it with windows, so my main OS has been Linux for several years now. The setup for Nvidia gfx-cards are also simple enough, add graphics-drivers repository and install like any other normal software from the software app… People doesn’t have to be rocket scientists anymore to run linux ya’know… :wink:

So running Ubuntu is more troublesome than using Windows? Thanks for the warning. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Do you have any link about this repository? Because it was a pain to install my Nvidia graphics card driver.

Ouch, got me there… xD I did mean the opposite though… :slight_smile: hehe

1 Like

Are you using ubuntu, or a derivate of ubuntu, then you can use this one:
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-nvidia-drivers-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

Automatic Install using PPA repository to install Nvidia Beta drivers

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

At least that is the one i’m installing right after installing ubuntu… I seldomly update ubuntu, I just do a fresh install, but keep the home directory on a separate disk, so it’s easy to get files and folders back to normal again… (That might also create trouble, but haven’t run into problems more than once i think…)

1 Like

So because many Blender users run Linux distributions, I recommended to the developer to keep that in mind. Then some users apparently try to convince the developer that Linux users are not worth it. The funny thing is that many of those users claim not to have Blender as the main 3D program and recently be making the change. A warning, that is not the philosophy of Open Source and Blender, whose philosophy is to try to reach the largest number of users with multi platform options for all, no matter business or profits. I can even say that currently the most problematic OS for Blender developers is Mac OS. Even I have read some developers on IRC channel to slip the possibility to stop supporting that OS, but they are still doing everything possible to continue supporting Mac OS.
Ultimately considering all this, now I understand even more why having talked about software that is not Open Source in this thread is really very off topic.

Just for interest regarding Linux users, looks like downloads were around 2.5% in 2016. Doesn’t count people installing from other sources, which tends to be more common in Linux.

Most of the core Blender devs use Linux, however, so it will always be a first-class platform for Blender.

There’s no hope :rofl:

I’m using Blender on Linux for something like 4-5 years. Never used download from the site. Back in the Ubuntu times I’ve used PPA, later AUR, now for at least two years I’m building master daily.

I don’t know why Linux user would want to download from the site when there are more convenient methods on most distributions.

5 Likes

Those numbers only account for the downloads from the blender.org site, There is a rather substantial number of linux users that will get blender from they distributions package manager, ubuntu’s popularity list has blender pegged at about 230k installs. I’m not saying windows is not our most popular platform, but i am saying in reality the linux numbers are higher than what you see in the blender.org downloads.

4 Likes

Okay guys…

Linux = :+1:
macOS = :+1:
Windows = :+1:

Let’s get back on topic: the intriguing, promising Sculpt Mode Features branch of our beloved Blender, the versatile editor that brings us all together, no matter what OS you use and how many times Blender has been downloaded for that OS. :slightly_smiling_face:

18 Likes

Ok, this is pretty awesome!

1 Like

That leaves room for about 11% of linux downloads, not counting other repositories or the self-building users.
So, why laughing? Why being always sarcastic? It’s an annoying attitude you know…
Back on topic

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Discussion around Privacy, consequences for Linux, and other major companies