The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

well i saw a video of you what mean in zbrush, and yes indeed we need that feature in sculpt mode…

2 Likes

There’s another interesting option: MiraTools includes a number of interactively placeable primitives. Below is a video demo. Be sure to watch the entire video. He creates a lot of cylinders first, but it’s worth viewing entirely.

6 Likes

I can imagine that with the recent growth of Blender, and the amount of involved developers, an increasing bureaucracy is inevitable. Processes need to be streamlined, administrated, structured. There are more meetings and discussions to guide everything that’s going on.

I think Pablo is a fast thinking and practical coding genius. He wants to proceed with speed, and that will probably be impossible sometimes.

I used to be a full-time game designer, many moons ago, working with a similar coding genius. He often came up with brilliant stuff, but it wasn’t always according to the rules that surrounded development. I was on his side, but things can not always unfold as you’d like, especially when a project or company has outgrown the pleasantly clear and accessible initial stage.

8 Likes

I completely agree. The bigger Blender becomes the more issues will arise in that area. Although, Blender is not a commercial company it does show some growing pains of one.

5 Likes

Not enough free devs to review his stuff… :wink:

4 Likes

I don’t see this being posted before:

16 Likes

Yes, they have well over a dozen developers on the core team now and letting all of them do their own thing their own way would be chaotic.

You still have to make sure that every developer’s plan will not interfere with the work of other people and will not break the overall vision, so the increased number of meetings is almost unavoidable. There’s also the issue of making sure the massive number of new features and tools just work for users, and that the overhauls and optimizations don’t break anything (hence why the gears have now been shifted to bugfixing for two weeks).

There is also a strong argument for the BF’s decision to base their hiring and planning to have just one or two core devs. in any one area of Blender at a time, to help avoid the problem of interference and to avoid the massive development issues of other large projects like Unity (reintroduced bugs, overly fragile code ect…).

Then you have an environment where the BF is seeing an increased number of patch submissions from a growing pool of volunteers, so the devs. now have to spend more time prioritizing and reviewing patches (which may mean longer waits for larger submissions).

3 Likes

I saw someone post a video of the keymesh feature similar to this a while ago, but man… This feature will absolutely change the game for animation in blender. Imagine you could animate a character the usual way with a rig and some corrective shape key drivers, but then add dynamic features with the keymesh on the fly throughout the animation to give it this greater level of polish and control. It’s gonna be very exciting to see what kind of things people are gonna make with this.

3 Likes

As I said when they first showed off the prototype, this type of technology is going to make traditional stop motion movies go practically extinct.

Plenty of CG movies have already bridged the gap between the two mediums to practically look indistinguishable from each other. Having a free and open source software able to perfectly emulate the stop motion style in a convenient workflow will make it hard to justify the long and expensive process of creating everything by hand.

2 Likes

https://developer.blender.org/T76386

I got an answer on my MultiRes masking bug report. While it seems that it has been fixed now, I am a bit bummed out by Sergey’s answer that they don’t consider it a bug that level 0 and the other subdiv levels have completely separate masks and do not propagate from level 0 and up. Face Sets does this and ZBrush has masking working like that with SubDivs, so why can’t Blender?

1 Like

What does he(Sergey) mean by this: ‘This is how the current design work (as I’ve mentioned before multires and non-multires masks are separate).’

So level 0 is ‘non-multires’ and all levels above are ‘multires’? I really don’t understand this, between this and the whole level 0 apply base thing, the multires modifier is becoming unnecessarily convoluted, imo. Why this can’t just be a simple sculpting subdivide levels system with level 0 considered the same as every other level I can’t understand.

A brand new sculpting-centric system/modifier independent of Multires seems like a far better option at this stage.

8 Likes

Every one of these issues could be avoided if they stopped trying to shoehorn multires into being a modifier. It doesn’t lend itself to such a design. If your modifier can only go in a certain position in the stack, then it doesn’t belong there.

13 Likes

I completely agree. While it has become a lot better, I do hope that they will do something similar to what they are planning to do with Open SubDiv and make it a mesh property or whatever they mentioned to improve its usefulness. Things would just be so much simpler and to the point with none of the current downsides as you said.

3 Likes

Hmmm, the way I see it, the devs are kinda doing their own thing, no? Hence the chaos… :thinking:

:100: :100: :100: :100: :100: :100: :100: :100: :100: :100: :weary:

Lighting a candle on my Dobarro altar, I’ve got a wish which I hope will reach him via this magical thread:

I’m still a Dyntopo lover (in fact I recently rediscovered it after viewing this course by Kent Trammell), and I’ve noticed that using the Elastic Deform brush while Dyntopo is active makes the brush agonizingly slow.

This results in constantly having to Control + D before and after activating Elastic Deform, while this isn’t necessary when using the Grab brush. Dyntopo is automatically inactive when using Grab, but you don’t need to deactivate Dyntopo.

If this could be fixed, I’d be a happy camper again.

Thanks in advance!

5 Likes

Well, this is what I’ve said from the start. A system inherent to sculpt mode would have been better. A fully non-destructive modifier for sculpting purposes is unnecessary and not suited to the workflow. I see no benefit to it at all.

1 Like

Always or In high polycount?

Better yet, allow you to customise which brushes will and will not use DynTopo. Personally I would love to remove the Scrape brushes from DynTopo altogether so they behave the way I want them like in normal Sculpt Mode. My HPolish brush doesn’t work at all with DynTopo so I have to disable it every time.

4 Likes

If they store multires in objects does it mean it could be stored in shape keys? :slight_smile:

Not only is it possible, it’s pretty trivial.

3 Likes