The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

I do use marvelous and clo, for garment design , but sometimes if youre working on a model which has some cloth material on it, but its not necesarily a piece of garment , it could be too cumblesome to import it to marvelous and create the patterns , if i have in blender a cloth brush with collision I can add the cloth look and feel to parts of my model way more easily and fast than the ,marvelous workflow

but for full garments design or for animation , Marvelous is the way to go in my humble opinion

1 Like

for now :slight_smile:

A small piece indeed can be sculpted.
I did not used Blender cloth brush, perhaps it’s like you say to quickly make cloth like sculpting without needing to leave the sculpt mode, and without having to do a whole cloth setup like marvelous, just using brush to simulate cloth wrinkles.

for me is a little difficult to sculpt wrinkles realistically :wink:, that’s why i like the simulated approach.

2 Likes

Good information about making of characters and hard surface parts on Horizon game, it’s all sculpted and no traditionnal modeling involved before retopo.

• Everything in Zbrush , also clean up, they tried remodel and subdivision but it took too much time, so they prefered to do it all in sculpt mode.

• No time to remodel parts, instead the model is polished using hpolish,trim dynamic, planar brushes and others.

• They use the normal map material that gives quick preview on how it will look when baked on normal map, to chek if there is some irregular surfaces to smooth.

• dynamesh used as essential brush for hard surface

• they are a small sculpting team, so they are using external partners to retopo and uv the high rez sculpts

1 Like

Hey do you have auto masking options doubled in 2.9s N panel ?

Thinks like gravity would work best as an option if you were to manipulate cloth under the brush (at least so you can get it to the position you want before allowing physically accurate behavior).

Though there’s a lot of other todo items left with things like the other brushes and then there’s the sculpt vertex colors patch, I wouldn’t mind if Pablo worked on getting his older patches in for now.

1 Like

It is not doubled, first one works per brush, second is global settings (if you turn it on it will affect all brushes. very useful for my opinion)

3 Likes

After a quick test, from scratch, choosing Inflate as Deformation can help to build relief and at same time creating coherent secondary folds.
Use of any kind of deformation of cloth brush can be legitimate.
But you have to keep in mind that size of reliefs is dependent of mesh density for some of them.
So, you have to create them when mesh is not too much detailed.

Sharpen mesh filter makes everything looking rocky at first iteration. But it also has disadvantage of smoothing surface at second iteration.
So, you will have to use it after an intense thinking to avoid destruction of shape by smoothing too much some areas. That is not easy to know if you are using it too early or too late.

Combination of both tools probably can give a quick starting point if you have no inspiration.
But, from my point of view, that is not a magic recipe working for all landscape.

That are valid tools to use for that but like any other brush.

No, there is no multi-object editing for sculpt mode.
That exists for edit mode or pose mode. But in sculpt mode, although you can switch from one object in sculpt mode to another one ; you can’t modify more than one object at a time.

So, if you want to scale several objects, you have to do it with multi-object editing in edit mode or in object mode with a deformer like a lattice.

2 Likes

You mean like that ?

1 Like

thats not the same, thats sculpting with cloth simulation.

2 Likes

The year is 2020 and the 3DCoat marketing advertises their ancient ~9 years old(2009) *https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-i2_QmEu_g
cloth sim feature with a blanket which takes 34 seconds to simulate?

The cloth brush demo within 3DCoat starts at 2:52

Its imo save to say that Blender right now offers way better and quicker results.

Their viewport and performance in general seems to be aging as well, the latter especially with the panning and simulation having a bit of stutter.

At this point, realtime softbodies/cloth (with collision) is now standard even in game engines (both FOSS and commercial). Phil Nolan is a great coder as the early versions of this app. can attest, but the app’s future will really depend on his ability to keep it current (as what is shiny and modern today can often look old and crusty a decade later, due to bloat and other issues from feature-creep and code that never got refactored).

You rebuttal to the suggestion that people might want a feature is… a different application with a similar feature? I’m not sure I understand the point you’re trying to defend.

5 Likes

That is not the same thing at all. Cloth brush that works based on underlying physics with relatively good performance is a brilliant addition to Blender. I would not be surprised if Zbrush users use Blender just to add cloth details to their character models. Plus cloth brush can be used for many other things not just simulating local cloth effects.

4 Likes

The cloth features in Sculpt mode are extremely useful. Sometimes I just need a simple piece of cloth to be arranged in a certain way. Running Blender’s full cloth sim can be frustrating for this. There’s no simple way of interacting with the cloth to adjust its position or folds. The new cloth features in Sculpt mode make this process very simple.

17 Likes

lol now you made an egg addon :v…

3 Likes

Blender cloth brush is based on user inputs, you must deform manually where you want wrinckles.
I find the result really not good if you want natural wrinckles look

Simplycloth addon does not need sculpting for the base pass and result looks so much better and natural

1 Like

So this is advertising?

3 Likes

No.

Showing the big difference a physic system and a brush.

Saying physic systems like Blender simplycloth addon or Marvelous,
gives so much natural and coherent better results than using a brush cloth to alter surface.

For me those are two very different things

• one is whole cloth physic simulation automated giving natural and coherent realistic
    cloth for the base pass, before the user would want to add details

• other is manual brush cloth paint , with result fully depending on user skills to make
    good wrinckles at the right places and looking realistic enough

1 Like