The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

I’m also looking forward to this.
I feel performance is the only main thing keeping Blender sculpt back from being the standard for this task

A pretty high quality stylized brush/alpha pack on Blender Market.

Sigh, Blender seriously needs to sort out brush management soon. Packs like this can save so much time, but they’re almost not worth the hassle due to how poor Blender is at dealing with custom brushes/alphas.

AskNK did a video about it too:

6 Likes

I’m texture painting these days, and the same can be said for those. Managing different textures to paint a model is a chore

6 Likes

Yeah, I really hope that the asset manager’s first implementation (hopefully in 2.93) will begin to solve these problems, which seem like low hanging fruit now assets and overrides are a thing. Even something very simple would be an improvement over what there is now, providing a stepping stone to something better and improving the sculpt/paint workflow for users now rather than in a year from now.

I try new sculpting features every now and then, and my experience often differs from the perceived experience provided by Pablo’s demo videos partly because the UI is not improving at nearly the same pace as the tools themselves, so it’s hard to figure out if my settings are wrong etc. when testing the new features and they don’t seem to work well.

I don’t know why UI always seems to be such a sacred area for Blender development, causing it to move frustratingly slowly. It would be nice if there was a UI/workflow branch where developers could try new ideas and implement suggestions from the community more freely, and then successful ideas could be put into master. Either that or controversial/large UI changes and ideas could be enabled via experimental features in the preferences so that hopefully some form of consensus could be reached more quickly.

13 Likes

Maybe in a few areas still, but 2.8 onward has brought so much attention on the UI that some are wondering if the BF went straight from too little to too much.

However, many of the guys who are working on the UI are not the ones you would call upon to fix other problem areas such as performance, so as long as the funding is there you just let them do their thing.

A little less tinkering with long-time keyboard shortcuts would be welcome to me. :slightly_smiling_face:

There’s an add-on to use Autoremesher inside Blender now.

5 Likes

I did some test on autoremesher, but still I’m not able to tell if if works on not… :thinking:

I mean, what is its state? Does someone know?

1 Like

Looking at Jeremy Hu’s Twitter posts, Autoremesher development seems to be frozen for a while now, which is a pity, because there are just a few more areas in need of improvement, but it’s gotten reasonably close to the quality of the major auto-retopologizers, such as Exoside’s Quad Remesher and 3D-Coat’s Autopo.

4 Likes

:eyes:

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

6 Likes

Not the same, but in case you dont know, have a look here:

The addon also adds itself to the texture subpanel of texture paint brushes

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/pablodp606/status/1360285280998162433?s=20

Interesting. Generally it’d be good to have some snappy 2-10 minute best practices videos from Pablo a’la #AskZbrush. Not many of us have time to watch hour long streams, despite them looking really tempting.

17 Likes

So close yet so far. I have a UV mapped and textured model and I want to trace over some details of the existing texture to make a mask and then load that mask on the object in sculpt mode and do a displacement in sculpt mode (not in the shader editor, not in the displacement modifier) and then continue to use it as a regular mask while manually sculpting.

3 Likes

Baby steps, we’ll get there. :slight_smile:

Layers, multires-like-every-other-software-in-existence-please, a functional keymap (using masking/face set/box/lasso hiding unhiding without switching a tool)… the list is pretty long.

6 Likes

I am aware of that one. I was just wondering if Blender devs can make Keymesh, it’s just a step away from making something similar for Particle hair especially since it looks stop motion like, having this same workflow for hair will allow particle hair to be used in a similar manner.

1 Like

Does anyone know if there is currently some brush to accurately achieve flat/smooth/fill curved surfaces, where the Brush can sample the surrounding curvature and then follow that curvature in the center to fill the hole or flat the spikes/bumps?

2 Likes

Get the sculpt dev branch build and use the fairing brush

3 Likes

Thanks! It looks great

1 Like

Why does sculpt vertex color use its own vertex paint layer ‘color’ and not the selected layer?

If you don’t want to install the experimental Sculpt Mode branch, you can also use the free Mesh Fairing Blender add-on, which offers a few extra options, and works in both Sculpt Mode and Edit Mode.

3 Likes