The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 2)

Please excuse my ignorance, I’m still learning. But by that, would face sets be just a collection of faces, and ‘creating material slots’ in GN mean assigning a given material to those (and only those) faces? In which case, that’s already doable, as I’ve done that a number of times in my explorations.

I think what you’re describing is assigning material to one group of faces. What we’re doing/trying to do is to do that for ALL face sets. You have face sets for hands, face, boots, etc. and with one click all those groups of faces are assigned a dummy material which you can replace with your own. Basically saves you trouble of selecting and clicking assign over and over.

And Geometry nodes operator will be just operator, an item in the menu that you’ll click and get the result. But it will do that by making geonodes setup and executing it, instead of executing script. As far as I know that node setup won’t be exposed to user after execution. You just click and get the result

1 Like

thank you for the explanation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is just from the import settings in unreal isn’t it? Because it creates an empty parent for it. It works fine in blender and in unity

1 Like

Another thing to bring up: exporting 3d curves from Blender is hard, as FBX, OBJ and GLTF export them simply as poly edges. These formats technically support curves, but the exporter doesn’t.

I forget whether attributes are automatically converted to actual UV’s in FBX now? If not, that’d be something to bring up :smiley:

@Omer_Almadani That’s interesting! Can anyone else confirm that this might be an import issue from the engines?
Also how should or does this behave when exporting multiple objects?

Can you create a bug report for this. That would be an easy way of getting a developer to look into this.

2 Likes

There is an option in the import settings in Unreal Engine when you import the file which will use your origin instead of the world center.

honestly sculpt brushes need a complete rehaul just delete everything and start over

1 Like

Really? What’s the import setting called? Is it for importing fbx or obj?

1 Like

Btw guys does anyone that uses Zbrush now how to transfer subdivision levels from multires from blender to ZBrush subdivisions or layers perhaps?

I’m either using this addon to transfer vert positions via UVs for the given subdiv level, which let’s me import it back in zbrush as a layer, or if it’s a single shell object I sometimes just transfer vert IDs.

If you don’t care about vert IDs you can just unsubdivide the highest subdiv, that goes either way. I don’t know an easy way of preserving layers in zbrush though, I usually do that by importing them one by one the hard way.

Also, just found out that the sculpt layers addon for Blender apparently supports layer import from ZB to Blender.

2 Likes

This critique has little to no value. What would you like to see changed compared to the current brush system;

• Is the current set of brushes not sufficient?
  • The behavior of the brushes not as expected?
  • Lack of brush sharing/library system? (Should be coming to 4.0 IIRC)
6 Likes

Just don’t bother, they’re unlikely to respond in a way that’ll satisfy your curiosity.

Can Blender’s brushes be improved? Sure. Will Guuch be the one who, through having used many tools and honed their skills, tells us how? I’d be surprised, also in light of their indefensibly shitty and simplistic stance that we should just ‘delete it all’.

Just have a quick look through their history and realise it’s frustration with their work being projected onto a tool. I’m refraining from posting their work, but it’s like someone who has picked up a pencil for the first time saying ‘Ugh it only does grey? Delete this shitty tool’, and Staedler going ‘We’re listening, go on’.

11 Likes

re: brushes, though, I share a bit of the frustration.
while “function” is generally good and of course might be improved, “presentation” (all the options in the N panel and on the top bar) could use a redesign, prioritizing the basic options: method of brush application, texture, maybe a “reset brush” and “save a copy of brush” function), specially if at some point geometry nodes will need to be referenced in that panel.

2 Likes

Would like to know that too. I can’t find such option in the Unreal fbx importer.

1 Like

Yeah, I checked as well. Couldn’t find it in the import options in UE5 when importing an fbx file into ue5.

1 Like

@Harti @melvi

Exported Mesh(fbx):

Import Setting in Unreal Engine:

This is by default on(Transform Vertex to Absolute…). Needs to be disabled.

Imported Cube in UE5 (5.2, should also work on previous versions)

You can also use that to export multiple objects in one fbx file. But not sure how the reimport settings will be applied than.

4 Likes

It worked. Thanks. Funny how Epic never mentions these things anywhere. How did you find this out? I don’t think a lot of Unreal users are aware of this. The name ‘‘Transform Vertex to Absolute’’ isn’t very clear, most people wouldn’t even notice it, it should be renamed to something clearer like ‘‘Use object origin’’ or something.

Its kinda frustrating when you are having some sort of technical issue and you find out after some years that it was just one box you needed to uncheck or toggle.

Again, thanks a ton .We learn something new everyday :pray: :slightly_smiling_face: I stand corrected.

@Julien_Kaspar I don’t think we need the Use object origin anymore. Although maybe this might still be needed for other engines like Unity. Unigine or Godot. I don’t use them so maybe if anybody who uses these engines can confirm if this is possible when importing fbx files.

2 Likes

I wanted to export my blockout meshes in one mesh which would require to use the origin instead of the world center.

So i hovered all the settings and found this one which kinda read like wat i was searching for. So i tested it and it worked.

Funny how Epic never mentions these things anywhere.

I mean nothing new. Unreal Engine isn‘t really that good documented. xD

1 Like

Thankfully this is currently is in the works… You would have the ability to have more advanced and fine tuned presets.

https://www.blender.org/development/projects-to-look-forward-to-in-2023/#brush-assets

2 Likes