The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 2)

I can’t find the roadmap for the paint/texture mode, do you know if any of the additions that Dobarro made for the expand will be ported to the regular brushes, that mix of anchored and drag a dot, the recursions, the clone of the expansions etc … I don’t know if that will be included in the node brush …

There is no global roadmap for the module.
Developers have a workboard listing bugs to solve and tasks to do.
And each has a rank of priority fixed to high, normal or low.

https://developer.blender.org/project/board/27/

Currently, tasks with high priority are related to fixing paint brushes issues.
They have just been introduced in Blender 3.2. And that is necessary to solidify their basic use.
There is no task about generalizing mask expand options to brushes.
There are a lot of stuff, in experimental sculpt-dev branch, that have to be stabilized and integrate to official releases, first.

2 Likes

Dobarro should come back. Even if it’s just part time.

2 Likes

Looks like mans is really busy…
https://twitter.com/pablodp606/status/1565445254974693376?t=-kr8h8j77p-bAxnhQreUYA&s=19

11 Likes

I wanna cry a little.

10 Likes

Pablo at least has full control over his roadmap and the release cycle by doing his own thing. This also means he will have to learn on his own so as to avoid mistakes that even commercial vendors fall into (ie. not having feature freeze periods, quantity over quality as far as tools go, premature optimization, feature/mission creep ect…).

This also gives him a sort of code portfolio that can be shown to prospective employers in the future (which could even include the BF).

1 Like

I would be happy with just the dyntopo perfomance :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Hello everyone,

1. I have a few questions regarding vertexpaint using stencil texture. Does anyone know how to sharpen my alpha texture? it looks jaggy im using it as stencil

2. Is it possible to paint my stencil texture as diffuse in vertex paint?

3. I want to make tapered brush like this in blender ->> https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Tapered-brush
    which parameter should i change?? :eyes:

It’s jaggy because the mesh resolution is too low. You’re painting directly on the vertices so you need more of them.

6 Likes

Hey, I haven’t been here in ages, nor have I been checking up on progress since the new dev. Can anyone give me a summary of what might have changed regarding the core UX/workflow? I’m not interested in fancy new tools so much as the overall usability of sculpt mode(last time I seriously looked into it was maybe 18 months ago and it was pretty much all over the place), and also the status of major workflow features like Dyntopo and Multires?(which were both in pretty bad shape also, if I recall correctly)

Also, any updates on the brush engine and overall performance?

Thanks.

Regarding the UX/UI, I hope you like the asset browser - https://developer.blender.org/T100122

Not sure about the rest apart from vertex colors. Someone might have a comprehensive list.

What we didn’t get is a multires fix. :frowning:

3 Likes

Thanks, I haven’t actually looked into the asset browser. 95% of my work the last year has been Zbrush, with Blender just used as a final hub for print prep and some rendering.

Has there been any development on insert mesh type features, or even just adding basic prims without having to go to object mode? The disconnect between the modes is still a turn off for me with sculpting in Blender. It always seemed like there was too much jumping around for basic functionality.

Shame about the multires. That’s another big turn off.

2 Likes

Nah, nothing like that. You didn’t really miss anything big apart from vert colors (not sure if the attribute workflow for that is still in progress? probably) and pbvh drawing.

I guess since texturing was one of the strategic targets for 2022 we can expect some sort of movement regarding brushes, workspaces and whatnot. Hard to predict though, ever since the module timelines have been swapped for the “when it’s done” approach, it’s anyones guess.

3 Likes

Multires has had performance increases. No new features or UI improvements.

Dynotopo is the same. There are performance increases in the developement branch, but they’ve been stuck there for ages.

Remesher has some bug that causes big slowdowns when “fix poles” is enabled, so for now that option is unchecked by default and without it remeshed meshes look weird.

There is a massive increase in performance when sculpting in Eevee, but that increase has been present in Multires for a long time, now it also applies to sculpting on normal meshes.

The only big new fature is the new vertex painting. It has great performance and brush settings, but it doesn’t work in Multires, so it’s a bit of a lemon right now.

I guess these improvements are good for people who like to sculpt/paint on just a big lump of polys with no subdivisions at all. :man_shrugging: Sucks for Multires users.

6 Likes

Sounds pretty stagnant then, or rather focused on vert paint instead of consolidating/cleaning the UI/UX inconsistencies?

Still a long way to go then, despite some of the hyperbolic youtube videos sending Zbrush to the shelf. :smile:

The EEVEE sculpting performance improvements are definitely a step in the right direction.

Edit: is there still just a lone dev working on sculpt mode?

8 Likes

To be fair, it’s pretty consistent with the targets they set.

I don’t mind if it’s a more planned out future proof approach, then again, it’s a pretty big IF. A lot of things seem to rely on the assumption that a node based workflow is going to be used, which I don’t think is always the case.

Generally it seems Blender development is a bit more cautious (for the lack of a better word) for some time now.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t say focused on vert paint. The “new” vertex painting has been practically finished for 2 years (you could even enable it in the release versions of Blender with a python command), it was just sitting in experimental hell. The recent changes have been mostly under the hood to make it work with the new attribute system.

The new dev has been mostly focused on stomping out bugs (at least it looks like it, that dev site is hard to read) and recently working on curvature masking for the upcoming rework of texture paint. I think the curvature stuff will also work in vertex paint, maybe even sculpt, not sure.

4 Likes

Cavity masking is developed for both sculpt and paint (vertex and texture):

https://developer.blender.org/T98383

6 Likes

lol… you know the drill, those kind of videos only serve one purpose: generate views and likes… :wink:

4 Likes

Indeed, but I would expect more from an industry pro. They should know better.

2 Likes