The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 2)

Very wise… Things seems to be worse than ever…

And what’s with the retopology stuff, it isn’t looking too good…

4 Likes

I seriously still can’t understand why they made that change where we couldn’t get a list with all the brushes and said it’d be fixed later with the whole asset management or something.

Why didn’t they let it like it was? It’s been how many years already of this goddamn awful change.

4 Likes

Also, as nice as the asset manager is, I doubt it’s gonna be usable as a universal solution, especially not as a brush picker UI. Not in it’s current state anyhow. Even the pose library got a big backlash, and that doesn’t need the level of flexibility a brush UI does.

I think the whole “dynamic preview” and “brushes as assets” idea is a bit premature. I wouldn’t re-design the whole UX based on something so vague.

I had high hopes for that one. One thing that Blender is competitive at is modeling, so it’d be nice to get some sort of built in retopo at one point. Curious to see if the dev grant will get renewed, and what the roadmap would look like.

10 Likes

so

with a pbvhtree we can get data from around the curve stroke / points on the mesh
inputs

input point, radius
(point, index, distance from input_point, and point_normal)

these would be what is returned by the node editor (maybe more?)

these would plug into math nodes / vector math / rotate vector nodes / image textures / to make brushes

this seems like the logical progression of things*
(again the average sculptor would not need to touch this unless they felt compelled to make new brushes)

output would be position and other attributes **

1 Like

Yeah, that was a really weird move…
Looks like they tried to mimic photoshop’s workflow somehow, but they forgot that sculpting is a totally different paradigm… different worlds…

Exactly… Even now they could bring it back while the new system doesn’t come to life, but no, they just refuse to do it for not good reason, unfortunately…
Remember, Dobarro understood the loss and tried to bring it back somehow, but even him got shutdown… BF’s the toughest there is… :smile:
https://dev-files.blender.org/file/data/vwxk5vieccwxi3jfrdnp/PHID-FILE-4m4wh4mhw4grqhv254yt/2020-05-04_13-53-41.mp4
I’d prefer to have that button in the toolbar tho, but still, it was a step in the right direction…

Yeah man… The asset browser is really just that, a browser… a system to manage the stuff in your hard drive… I don’t understand why they insist on mix it with the brush menu/palette…

:100:

6 Likes

some people post things that are far too biased towards their knowledge of development

other people post things that are far too biased towards their total lack of knowledge of development.

I don’t see any problem with using a core feature that is currently the focus of much performance improvements and will likely be the glue the holds together every new feature moving forward (currently it is instrumental to the upcoming new hair feature and it will probably be what we use for physics and particles and eventually fluid sims too)

Even the highly desired feature of being able to repeat a brush stroke relies on retaining the last stroke’s curve information. If we can retain the last stroke, would it be within the desired performance experience to retain more than one stroke? The last 50 strokes? The last 50,000 strokes? I’m sure there are people tasked with inhuman space ships and tentacle monsters who would absolutely love to take a purely procedural and technical approach to building those assets and have the end result look like it came out of Blender’s Sculpt Mode ALONG WITH SPECTACULARLY GOOD TOPOLOGY that you can drop straight into zbrush for all the minute details.

Trying to effectively put textures on curves has been a royal pain in the ass in Blender, especially since it lacks the roll brush that substance painter has (I think zbrush also had it). I gleefully look forward to the end result of BluePrintRandom’s research in this area.

2 Likes

Well, I’ve heared they call it Houdini.

3 Likes

It seems that the blender team didn’t know what they wanted, Dobarro planned a new mode first so that’s where Denning started, after a couple of weeks they didn’t like that so he had to change it into a new snapping mode, he has half of the work (face nearest) now in master and the other half in review, he also … fixed the overlay? and did a new polybuild (tweet related), both in review and that’s it so if that is accepted we still need the other edit mode tools, that are in the modeling workboard to do list > long term
https://twitter.com/gfxcoder/status/1528730093299851265?lang=en

5 Likes

Great video, abvious for blender users, but maybe mind-blowing for zbrush users.

15 Likes

I already use this math for games / film production,

I teach every week* I am a professional blender user*

(also please read content before trying to assassinate character)

5 Likes

It would be nice if every brush stroke can be part of a purely non-destructive workflow, but the average sculptor makes hundreds, if not thousands of them and I do not think the memory and CPU requirements to keep track of it all would be realistic.

For less destructive sculpting, there are features to help with that which have not even been touched yet (like layers). At the least, you would have to have a limit as to how many previous strokes remain editable.

3 Likes

One could nudge the curve around, /subdivide it, adjust the uv and then apply the stroke, or leave it / drive it with time for FX like a vein beating under the skin.

But what kind of sculptor do you know who would take the time to apply such operations to every single stroke in a high-resolution sculpt (which can have thousands of them)?

Unless a person’s idea of creating is focusing on a single character per year, a workflow that slow and meticulous is often not desired, and there are a lot of bigger issues that need to be tackled first anyway.

7 Likes

These steps would probably happen in a mode other than sculpt mode, though.

what I am saying is that under the hood the math is the same
and the structures that accelerated sculpting should be the same that accelerate proximity node etc.

and ‘nudge stroke’ could be a command almost like ‘unde/redo’ but with tweaking
(undo and keep context from undo info)

so basically anything we do here should be built out of the same components as geometry nodes,
so upgrading any part of blender, upgrades all of blender.

I think storing every single stroke is overkill. It’s like setting undo steps to 10,000.

A more practical use for sculpting and geometry nodes would be to use it as a freezing/layer system that can store entire layers as nodes and remesh them to different resolutions.

7 Likes

I’d set it to 10,000 if I could but 256 is the max. :rofl:

5 Likes

Funny, zbrush records the undo history and the max is 10000 for each subtool… I guess you need zbrush… :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’ve had it since version 2. :grin:

4 Likes

Whoa, v2? damn… :smile:

I started with 4R2… :upside_down_face:

5 Likes