The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 2)

that’s weird. This is what I get. I wouldn’t mind a global shortcut for auto masking either

Anyways, I think I will just have a look at redwaxpolices script and further pimp it to my needs.

If you don’t mind just using the global settings, then you don’t need the script… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

:blush: holy! I never even saw those. I have always changed my settings in the top bar so far.
nonetheless your py helped me plenty.

2 Likes

This seems great:

https://twitter.com/jfranmatheu/status/1570093509327163392?s=46&t=sCmnpWgyzWcg10Y9YrVGQg

10 Likes

You don’t need a script for per-brush or global. You can create a new keybinding for wm.context_toggle and then in the Context Attribute field put in either:
tool_settings.sculpt.brush.use_automasking_boundary_edges for toggling the automasking on the currently active brush, or:
tool_settings.sculpt.use_automasking_boundary_edges for the global toggle.

The thing you need a script for is toggling the option on a brush that ISN’T the active one.

Since we’re on the topic, here’s a “fun” fact about the per-brush and global automasking options: the global one produces significant lag when toggling it on dense meshes (1M+, and it scales quickly), which is especially visible when you’re using a hotkey to quickly switch between the modes. The per-brush setting doesn’t have any lag, despite doing the exact same thing :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Do you know the Alt + A pie menu shortcut in Sculpt Mode?

Those are the global settings by the way.

13 Likes

aarg! How could I have missed that, haha. So glad I asked around here :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s what the script does, you don’t need to have the smooth brush active to toggle it…

Maybe you should report that as a bug?.. :thinking:

3 Likes

Sculpt node now has a new attribute API.
rB02575bcbd0a9 (blender.org)

Among the side effects is simpler code, which means less bugs. There are also hints regarding data preservation as well (so this may also pave the way for the inclusion of the new Dyntopo code that preserves data). This may or may not also mean better integration with the creative possibilities brought by Everything Nodes.

In addition, initialization of face sets is much faster now (which impacts basic operations that work on mesh topology and data).
rB9c35a5a5241b (blender.org)

17 Likes

I wanted to report it when I first figured it out, but there was already a report about it and Pablo said that it was a “known limitation”. Can’t find the bug report right now, it was a while ago.

Hopefully that means we’re closer to having vertex painting in multires ;(

3 Likes

@Ace_Dragon Thanks for the infos!
@Tolkfan Vertex paint and multires, a dream comes true. I hope it will happen sooner than later.

2 Likes

I would think, a lot of people here still do not have much of an idea of what has to first happen behind the scenes so a feature can be implemented properly. The BF is more or less done with implementing major new features as hacks because of how they are nearly impossible to polish and how they wasted a lot of time with whack-a-mole bugfixing.

The same thing was true with Blender’s new asset system, as it first required an overhaul of just about every bit of code related to the access of and the handling of data (which took years and many individual projects).

10 Likes

I went for your script. It is much nicer to have control over each brush individually.

but the global settings and also the alt+a pie were completely new for me.
… maybe I have missed other things as well.
Is there a way to replicate the ‘correct face attributes’ option from edit mode in sculpt mode?
right now I use a UV projector on each of my (2d) meshes to generate the uvmaps
(I even wrote a clunky script to speed this up and apply it to all imported imageplanes with an x rotation of 90°)

uvp_empty.py (516 Bytes)

Looks like we’re getting some patches to Sculpt Mode that improve Face Sets. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

its in!

https://builder.blender.org/download/experimental/archive/ - look for ‘sculpt dev’

‘Roll mode’ is my curve relative space math ! Joseph applied it !

19 Likes

I already gave feedback, this summer when it was added to sculpt mode (no new build since July).
But I will repeat it.
Mapping is wrong. I have to modify it to avoid an offset and obtain proportions similar to image.

And there are artefacts. Like some pixels of texture that ramdomly have a wrong strength, producing undesired peaks and holes.

3 Likes

please inform about this directly in the blender chat :wink:

From today’s Paint & Sculpt meeting.

2022-9-21 Sculpt/Texture/Paint Module Meeting - Blender Development / Meetings - Blender Developer Talk

Paint Mode Planning

A couple of weeks back we discussed the Paint Mode planning with Dalai:
The Paint Mode project in theory could be split into three smaller distinct projects:

• 3D Texture Paint Brush
  • Layered Textures
  • Brush Managing

The first one expanded quite a lot in scope. The original plan was just to add a new Paint and Smear brush that uses a spherical falloff, unlike the current projection painting.
But since this new brush behaviour is directly based on sculpt mode, we started planning for a texture paint mode rewrite based on the sculpt mode code.
The design and goals of this project need to be discussed. Current desgn task creation will be scaled down and only used as a starting point for futher work.

Layered texture painting is currently prototyped by Brecht and will take longer to complete. The usefulness of this feature is also questionable if the basic painting functionality is not finished or usable.

The third project is what we decided on tackling right now. The brush management and proper asset browser integration will have many benefits and will remove roadblocks for new features.
It also benefits many different modes and workflows in Blender.

Jeroen is availbile again for the project and continued on related tasks in T96225 . Joe will aid in discussions and reviewing patches.

Going forward we will be more aware of the time estimates of WIP features. The new auto-masking took a significant amount of time and refactors. This can be attributed to the recent addition of color attributes and the many bugs this still caused and that the auto-masking features were made to be compatible with the future texture painting features.
The time estimates need to be better communicated.

Bad news is that the major sculpt refactors are not close to being finished yet. However, it appears more of the right notes are being hit in terms of critically needed features (layers and brush management in the final short list of priorities, the latter I would think will also benefit sculpt and hair as they too are brush based).

5 Likes

You forgot grease pencil, too.

I was hoping that IP mask operator will be integrated with auto-masking.
That should really be a priority for paint & sculpt workflow.
Current A pie menu is really too slow.

3 Likes

this is a curve placed by hand but in theory a sculpt stroke could be ‘resampled’ using code from ‘resample curve’ node and create mesh attributes (metalness etc) at the same time it sculpts.

curve_texture_space.blend (128.8 KB)

this is the ‘holy grail’ to me, because these could be stacked in order (the new on top of old)/mix down and you can make a ‘stack’ that when baked, uses the curve data per pixel to bake 100% perfect maps.

there is more to do like ‘cuttoff’

but we could sculpt / paint / even animate stuff using curves we leave from a sculpt stroke that are editible (no more re-doing a stroke 200 times that is long)

6 Likes