The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 2)

Couldn’t live without that anymore in Sculpt Mode, ever since it was released. :green_heart:

5 Likes

Hello. I have researched this and it can also be done in Blender. You just need to use a mask for the entire model.
video demonstration:

I think there needs to be an option to ignore the mesh, something like “move only the gizmo” :thinking:
Please ignore the error. I just copied the code from Google search to make a duplicate in sculpt mode.

P.S. written using Google Translate.

5 Likes

thats how c4d works as well. its the best way of doing it for sure
btw, i might have some good news for you about that soon. i poked a dev and the fix for that is in the works :v:

4 Likes

yeah, we are aware of this hack. we dont do this because its a terrible workaround

thats exactly what p dobarro implemented in his patch. the devs just need to abandon this 3dcursor obsession and do the right thing

this we have been asking for years too. pretty sure p dobarro would have implemented already if he was around

What if it works on one button?

I’m using a modified version of the jsculpt-tools add-on.
If you are interested, here is a link to my fork: https://github.com/NimeNayota/jsculpt-tools/tree/master?tab=readme-ov-file

2 Likes

this is not the correct workflow
usually youll carefully paint your mask and put the gizmo in the unmasked area to transform it. and this is back and forth operation (adjust the mask/adjust the gizmo - repeat repeat repeat).
you cant just mask everything and lose your previosuly carefully painted mask everytime you want to move the gizmo.

it just doesnt work. (i hope you understand what im saying. non english speaker here)

btw, i dont know why this is not high priority in the sculpt module. the transform gizmo is almost useless without dobarros patch

Now I understand what you mean.

2 Likes

:smiley::+1:

Looking forward to that!

2 Likes

Oh come on please stop the snark, I know there’s low hanging fruit all over the place, but it is rather a management fault (if any) than a developer one imo.This whole idea that “They don’t listen to us people screaming on the sidelines” is really tiresome reading back on. It’s also what caused Pablo to leave, remember how happy everyone was with no new features!? - Let’s not repeat that situation. Also, why would any dev read this thread if it contains more snark and Zbrush praise than a meaningful discussion?

E: Without calling out individuals, I think this thread needs a tighter moderation, this used to be a good way to keep up with development - now it’s the same snark over and over by the same people.

6 Likes

Agreed, this thread isn’t what it used to be. It derailed completely, which is a shame.

4 Likes

That was my point :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I personally believe it doesn’t matter where an idea comes from, nor who voiced it. As long as the idea is good, it should merit an implementation :wink:

2 Likes

I think most people here actually want the devs to impkement their ideas. It’s why this is also a place for people to vent - and to spark a discussion from that. I think right now you are sidelining the issue, which is that with tighter moderation both devs and users can find interesting stuff here. It’s where people post sculpt quirks after all - and it only takes some warnings (and removing excess snark) to get this thread to what it used to be.

1 Like

I’ve posted many warnings here, and removed many posts. The vocal users of this thread generally make it a core element of their personalities to oppose authority figures as much as possible. If you think you can do a better job getting them to behave, please, by all means, do.

Anyway, this is very off topic, feel free to DM the mods if you have specific concerns :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Meanwhile, we have Sean and Hans working on making the brushes data-oriented and Hans has been doing significant work making sculpt undo faster and more robust.

The only concern I have is that the issue with attributes disappearing on undo in Dyntopo is not fixed yet, but I would think that will eventually come as core work continues.

10 Likes

From the meeting notes (see the other thread), Sculpt work is purring like a kitty now and further refactoring of Dyntopo is not that far away, and who is Roundsquare?

• Sculpting > sergey
    • In progress, with HooglyBoogly, roundsquare and farsthary
    • Working on making more tests automated
    • Currently ‘only’ 6x faster, not yet 10x (for the base mesh sculpting)
    • Focusing on that refactor and speeding up, hopefully done by mid-July
    • Then do dynamic topology pt2
16 Likes

It’s Sean Kim!

5 Likes

It kind of throws me off when you get to recognize a developer or someone else of importance by name and then all of the sudden an alias is used instead. Unlike Phabricator, Gitea typically does not display the alias alongside the real name in the commit logs.

3 Likes

I just rely on avatars, without them I’d be screwed :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

If only some people weren’t constantly changing avatars all the time! :smiley:

cough @Metin_Seven cough :slight_smile:

7 Likes