The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 2)

Dyntopo does not support poly/attribute painting right?

only if nothing changed* - you could have some sort of ā€˜is dirtyā€™ flag

There was a post in the code blog stating that part of the Dyntopo rework is to allow it to preserve data while sculpting is in progress (with a demo video, so the devs. already know what to do here).

1 Like

I notice that using the Elastic Deform brush with with automasking view/area normal instantly crash blender.

Write that to joe in the sculpt module blender chatā€¦

3 Likes

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Maxon ZBrush

Yeah, sorry about that. I forgot where I was for a secondā€¦ :grinning:

1 Like

No prob, I love ZB discussions. Please feel free to continue here.

1 Like

It does not in master. But it does in sculpt-dev branch.

2 Likes

Iā€™m fully rediscovering Dyntopo at the moment, after a period of solely using Voxel Remesh. I used to be a hardcore Dyntopo prophet, and now I remember why again.

What I love about Dyntopo is the freedom to add fine local detail where desired, while not affecting the surface / polygon structure of other parts. Working with Voxel Remesh usually requires you to repeatedly redefine parts that have been slightly smoothed out due to repeated remeshing of the entire mesh.

I also love that Dyntopo keeps overlapping / intersecting parts intact without melting those areas together like Voxel Remesh does, although sometimes thatā€™s what you want.

10 Likes

What now I do with characters for example is to create the ā€œbase meshā€ which is the primary and usually some secondary shapes, and if am happy with the base sculpt i go with dyntopo to add terciary details that i couldnā€™t add with voxel remesher, so that i save performance avoiding to decrease the voxel size too much than can be too overwhelming slow to sculpt further or get more memory consuming and slow down or crash blenderā€¦

Something that bothers me from voxel remesher is that when having a low poly mesh, and then decreasing the voxel size will retain that low polyness (definitely wanted sometimes, for example keeping sharp edges) but with more subdivisions of course, and sometimes is hard to smooth that out with smooth brush or with smooth filter that is more faster with an even resultā€¦

1 Like

:+1:

I suddenly remember the slogan we Dyntopo proponents used to use here: ā€œWe The Dyntopo Crew! ā„¢ā€ :smiley:

I believe that was invented by @0rAngE . :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Speaking of dyntopo: anyone using sculpt-dev and finding that the quality of the triangulation is worse? In the release version itā€™s smooth, with almost no change to the mesh outside of the brush radius. The dev version has these nasty, jagged edge artifacts that remind me of Zbrushā€™s sculptris:

Itā€™s only Zbrush Core Mini in the picture, but Iā€™ve had similar results in the full version. Maybe thereā€™s an option in the full version to corrects this. Same with Sculpt-Dev, maybe thereā€™s an option, but thereā€™s a lot of new options in that branch.

1 Like

Yes that happen in the sculpt-dev build, but you gain instead a lot of perfomance.

1 Like

Indeed, indeed, that would be one of mine ramblings, you got that right! Even down to the trademark logo.
Whatā€™s funny, I still stand by it - ā€œWe The Dyntopo Crew! ā„¢ā€
Stay Dyntopo :wink:

5 Likes

Hehe you just waked up here :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

:fist:

This should become a T-shirt nearly no one will understand. :grin:

6 Likes

Whatā€™s the Remeshersā€™ slogan than? ā€œVoxels Assembleā„¢ā€?

4 Likes

:thinking:

As Sculpt Dev features the latest Dyntopo developments, this does not seem to be a good sign. Itā€™d be great if you could post this in the Sculpt Dev channel of Blender.chat, @Tolkfan . Thanks in advance.

4 Likes

Did you mean ā€˜Wox ensembleā€™, if you catch my drift.

4 Likes