The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 2)

Things are automatically adjusted in master.
In Sculpt-dev branch, because settings of Dyntopo Smoothing are exposed, user has to adapt them to Detail Size.

For a low Detail Size, Clean-Up option may be disabled, Dyntopo Spacing should be decreased and Radius Scale may be increased.

In sculpt-dev branch, Detail Size can be adjusted per brush.
(Some settings are requiring to enable Show Advanced option.)
So, you can create brushes dedicated to global shaping and others to detailing.
Instead of doing shift D to jump to a detail size, you are used to use, you just pick the brush corresponding to it.

4 Likes

More Dyntopo work; A number of bugs have been fixed because of the original triangle API being cleaned up.
rB7f133b7a3834 (blender.org)

It appears we are starting to see more of the good stuff now.

11 Likes

Regarding Dyntopo Iā€™d still love to see this being taken care of.

2 Likes

Dyntopo is already disabled with Elastic brush.
I think that lag issue is supposed to be solved, since a while.

Are you talking about Snake Hook brush, in elastic mode ? that would be a really bad move.
What can be done in dyntopo with this brush in that mode is great.

In the 3.4 alpha builds (donā€™t know about Sculpt Dev), all Elastic-type brushes get a lot slower when Dyntopo is enabled: Elastic Deform, Snake Hook in Elastic mode, and Transform in Elastic mode.

I guess you mean the other Snake Hook mode here: Radius Falloff. Thatā€™s the mode allowing you to create protrusions. That works fine.

No, you can do protrusions with both modes.

Elastic mode of Snake Hook is already more intuitive deformation than Elastic brush in regular voxel remesher workflow.
But with dyntopo on, you can use it to manipulate mesh like fudge.
It also allows to create protrusions and deforming basis of protrusion, at same time. So, there is a perfect continuity in silhouette.

Testing the latest 3.4 build here and I donā€™t get any slowdown when using these brushes with Dyntopo enabled. Maybe try resetting your brush defaults?

Didnā€™t know that, thanks for pointing that out.

The slowdowns occur in meshes with a higher poly count, like around 1.8 million tris. Beyond a certain poly count threshold, all Elastic-mode brushes slow down considerably in Dyntopo mode, while still working smoothly when Dyntopo is deactivated.

I always thought this was only necessary if youā€™ve got a default scene saved, or if you open an older scene, causing older brush defaults to remain intact. Or do you think the Elastic-type brush defaults have changed very recently, as in the past few alpha versions?

Looks like another almost 20 year Zbrush veteran and game industry artist has jumped fully aboard the Blender sculpt mode train. :laughing: These examples are quite inspiring to see. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s some serious initial pain involved, but thinking to the future, a few years from now, is this my ultimate direction too? Itā€™s the first time Iā€™ve actually considered it, but maybe Zbrush is on borrowed time? Does ZB have a future? Itā€™s gone as far as it can and maybe the Maxon factor was the sign I needed to rethink things?
The last piece of the puzzle is a fully functioning and seamlessly integrated(in workflow terms) sculpt mode. Everything else is already there in Blender. Maybe Blender is the futureproof option?
Anyway, Itā€™s definitely food for thought for me. As long as I donā€™t end up in software purgatory like @Metin_Seven :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

Cool! :ok_hand:

This might spark a new ZBrush subdiscussion, so I might need to move that to the ZBrush thread if it turns out to be appropriate. :slightly_smiling_face:

Personally, I find myself returning to Blender time after time, after trips to ZBrush land, 3D-Coat country, MagicaCSG city, ā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face: And I always render using Blender, be it with Cycles, Octane, Luxcore or Eevee.

7 Likes

Sorry, not my intention. It was more me thinking out loud. Just concentrate on the video linked and forget about the Zbrush musingsā€¦ :smile:

4 Likes

This is very off-topic, but let me just say, I would love to see a detailed sculpt like this of DCAU Lobo:
I miss the era of DC not taking their characters so dark and seriously, give me more alien menaces from deep space wearing jeans please!
My apologies, side note over :wink:

6 Likes

@Metin_Seven What is the current state of Quadremesher in Blender? And the Decimate modifier, is there an addon alternative, because the shipped modifier isnā€™t that great? Asking for a ZB friend. :wink:

2 Likes

Quad Remesher 2.0 will feature Face Sets as guides and possibly an improved algorithm, but it might take another 5 to 6 months, according to Maxime, the developer.

I donā€™t know if thereā€™s a Decimate modifier alternative, but I did some comparative tests between ZBrush Decimation Master and Blenderā€™s Decimate modifier a while ago, and found them to be pretty comparable. The only differences I can remember is that Decimation Master allows you to decimate with an adjustable degree of detail to preserve vertex paint (Polypaint), and it allows you to decimate based on masked areas.

5 Likes

Yeah, I did some decimation comparisons myself, just last week, and Zbrush does a far better job at optimising the surface based on form changes. Blender does offer a decent distribution/uniformity of triangles though. Better than I was expecting. Itā€™s very slow though when itā€™s in the modifier stack. Turning it on/off and saving/opening the file with decimate mods in the stack was taking quite a while.

3 Likes

Does anyone know if the transfer mode hotkey is different in sculpt mode to edit mode? I canā€™t find the transfer mode for edit mode in the keymap. Only sculpt mode shows up in the keymap for this operator.

It should be Alt+Q

Yeah, I have Hops set to that, so D is my key, but thereā€™s no key available for the edit mode transfer mode operator.

Edit: I should probably post this elsewhere.

Where do you find it in the menus/UI? Iā€™ve been looking but itā€™s hiding from me.