The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 2)

Here is a (very quick) render after some retopo.

Next is to make him appear out of the trunk surface, but that’s a job for geonodes™ :sunglasses:

18 Likes

https://builder.blender.org/download/experimental/blender-4.0.0-alpha+temp-sculpt-dyntopo.284588fd4c1c-windows.amd64-release.zip

new build of Dintopo. I tried it with my personal and default settings and it works very well, I was surprised… the smoothing brush works perfectly

5 Likes

That build broke my ability to use my own custom keybinds for some reason.

Edit: Sculpt Mode crashes too. :smiley:

Copy and paste your settings from blender 3.6 to 4.0. File: startup.blend and userpref.blend and it will retrieve your settings. The address is this but the username you have. C:\Users\FRAN\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\4.0\config
When you say it, I checked my configuration and the same thing happened to me but I already solved it

1 Like

Right now I’m testing and the smoothing brush closes blender immediately…=(

The problem is that it does not activate “ignore UVs”

I’m trying out the June 10 dyntopo build and almost all the stuff I complained about is gone. The quality of the triangulation is comparable to old dyntopo now, no more weird geometry bunching up or jumping around.

There is still sometime a “crack” in the geometry at the start of a stroke with dyntopo. Not very often, can’t replicate, but it happens.

There are also these phantom cracks that sometimes appear in weird places, but they seem to be just visual gliches. They disappear after toggling edit mode.

Topology Rake instantly crashes the program. Smoothing, with dyntopo on, also causes an eventual crash after a few minutes of sculpting.

7 Likes

Speaking about visual glitches has anyone noticed when doing even just a little or few brush strokes with any sculpt brush (normal settings no dyntopo, or multires) the normal shading seems to change and then when toggling in and out edit mode or object mode it disappears the kinda bad shaded normals? This has been happening since many versions probably since 2.9…

1 Like

New video from Joe showing off sculpting with Dyntopo using Mark Sharp:

ZBrush performance or not, I think Dyntopo > Sculptris Pro at this point.

24 Likes

Very impressive. I can already think of hundreds of ways how this is going to make my sculpting process easier

4 Likes

How is this more useful than just using a draw sharp/crease brush with custom alpha? You even have to go into edit mode to mark crease. It just seems unintuitive and not very sculpt friendly to me, but I’ve never been a fan of Blender/3dcoat’s way of splitting modeling and sculpting tbh. What I think that can improve this is a knife brush in sculpt mode that you can just cut straight into the topology and mark it sharp.

2 Likes

If you actually paid attention to the development of Dyntopo you would know that this is one out of many options for creating sharper edges. You can do the same thing using face sets by painting them directly in Sculpt Mode. Mesh data is no longer destroyed from using Dyntopo, so you can do a lot of stuff you simply can’t do in other sculpting softwares such as ZBrush with Sculptris Pro.

2 Likes

The demo is not about how to create a crease.
It is to show that a marked crease can be preserved while a decimation of mesh.
You can use a draw sharp brush first and then, mark edges, if you want.
What is important is that you can end up with a lighter geometry, by using simplify brush and maintain shape of crease.

10 Likes

Face sets also isn’t destroyed in zbrush with sculptris pro though. Though I guess this will pave way for more operations for face sets which is pretty important for many workflow. For example adding edgeloop around face sets, splitting facesets, creating panel lines… If you ask me which feature to be added to dyntopo that would beat sculptris, it would be directly joining object together like voxel remesh.

The new Dyntopo supports more than just Polygroups/Face Sets, however. It supports Face Sets, UV maps, Vertex Groups, materials, and more. Sculptris Pro simply does not do that.

3 Likes

And i’m sitting here… waiting for Multires improvements. …

sadhartinoise

Buuut i love those Dyntopo changes/improvements though.

8 Likes

If the improved Multires is going to be as good as the new Dyntopo, then we’re in for good times. :partying_face:

Though, the wait will be painful. :skull:

2 Likes

So about that timeline posted barely more than a month ago… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No offense to any of the devs, but that timeline was all but a pipe dream. The most optimistic estimate would have been to even start the work within that time frame and that would assume that Dyntopo was done and over with.

Multires will be as much of an undertaking as Dyntopo if they wish to get it right. That’s just reality.

7 Likes

Absolutely. I don’t mind if a task takes ages, it’s understandable when complex features are being worked on that have many dependencies. That timeline was very unrealistic, and it was more than obivous.

Movement in the dyntopo realm looks cool though.

8 Likes

I do agree, the BF should really get out of the business of making timelines. Many of the roadmaps I have seen from them is just wishful thinking and are about as accurate as tarot cards. Sure, they eventually get many of the todo items done, but they almost never land on the initial target date.

As a result, the old “when it’s done” maxim historically used by FOSS teams should really be the only way the BF communicates, and only make a prediction when the feature in question is almost done when BCon1 rolls around.

3 Likes