The big MagicaCSG and SDF modeling thread

This? This mades me sad.

2 Likes

brushed metal? Happy accident. I wish there was a way to bake the SDF into a single layer. Making the side negative space was done by arraying a bunch of small sphere(set to substract), or if you can nest sphere into other item. The point is it is taking a lot of room in the strokes panel , so a lot of scrolling to get to the bottom.

edit: Also wish layers can have their own add, subtract, intersect mode.

4 Likes

This is what the dev wrote regarding the absence of normals in MagicaCSG:

In distance field, each voxel stores the distance value to the closest point on the surface, but it has no idea where the point is.

That would definitely be great. In the new 0.1.x versions, layers will act like separate objects in a world space, with their own custom resolution, orientation etcetera. I don’t know if it will be possible to make those objects act as compound Boolean operators. I do know that making the various shapes seamlessly blend with each other is a complex process.

2 Likes

I’d like to see this app evolve into a sculpting app later on. It’s definitely possible with SDF: https://www.fxguide.com/fxfeatured/whats-the-foundry-buying-the-tech-of-adf/

1 Like

Now I am double mad.

Sculpting is cool in Blender but hard to learn particularly for technical objects.

Metaballs are kinda fun to look into but so limited I find it pointless to show my students as a tool to make product design concepts.

MagicaCSG is like what I want in Blender.

At CCS (elite design school here) they switched to Blender to in transportation design.

Giving some workshops there this semester.

I am sure with MagicaCSG like abilities industrial design would be open to it too

3 Likes

I’m assuming you’re bringing your objects into Blender for texturing and rendering, right? If you’re not, I’d love to know how you’re getting such nice materials out of Magica.

2 Likes

Yeah, BF really disappointed on this one…
I’m pretty sure some big 3d software companies would pay good money to have that feature…

BF’s management needs to step up…

3 Likes

Well, I finished my bottle. The results you get out of Magica are pretty damn dense, and hard as hell to texture, since the resulting topology isn’t too organized.

Still, with some mask work, I was able to get something neat out of it.

6 Likes

Nice progress!

Here’s my latest little MagicaCSG + Blender scene:

5 Likes

Do you happen to own the Quad Remesher Blender add-on? You can auto-quad-retopo a model for easy texturing and better topology flow. If the source model has vertex colors, you can transfer that using the Data Transfer modifier. See here:

4 Likes

I rented it for a month here awhile back. Thought it pretty cool, but couldn’t see an immediate use for it at the time.

…until now.

1 Like

It’s all Magica, but it’s very hard to control, play around with the blue line revolve profile.

brush_metal.mcsg (14.6 KB)

There is a Blender addon call BlobFusion, it use SDF seems to be cool for basic basemesh creation, not as polish as MagicaCSG, it can’t do difference or intersection operation. And kinda of slow due to it being python.

2 Likes

I’m missing that metallic sheen.

Maybe this has something to do with the versions we’re using. Are you using one of the prototypes from the higher donation tiers?

It’s in the render setting , by default the the material is set to diffuse, click on Metal on the right side panel - turn . Also turn on Light Base Lighting on the left side for nice reflections. Revolving a profile with a width of 1.0 produces some fake brushed metals too:

edit: I am using version 0.0.5 and sadly there are no prototypes on the highest tier yet :frowning:

2 Likes

Looks great! How did you create the tubes with the nice ridges? :thinking:

1 Like

Okay, that’s why I couldn’t find it. It was on the side of the screen I never pay attention to.

It’s nice having a few more options for materials, but for these early days at least, I think I’ll use the app primarily for banging out shapes, and do the texturing in Blender.

3 Likes

Ring.mcsg (270.8 KB)

Messing around with the cloning feature. There seems to be a limit on the total amount of strokes , after that you can’t add anymore.

Now off to figure out how Metin did the tube :sweat_smile:

edit: I also learnt today, that Adobe Substance 3D Modeler is SDF based, not voxel.

3 Likes

Thanks! I added the tubes in Blender, haha. In my first range of MCSG works I challenged myself to do as much as possible in there. For example, this Megaman was made completely in MagicaCSG, only rendered in Blender Octane. But in the mean time I’m forcing myself to determine which parts are simply easier to realize in Blender, because of current MCSG limitations.

I also thought Substance 3D Modeler is voxel-based, but recently I participated in a little Twitter thread including a reply from one of the developers.

2 Likes

How capable is Substance Modeler relative to 3DCoat? Modeler does have the slicker UI, and VR interface, but they otherwise look fairly similar.