The big MagicaCSG and SDF modeling thread

Icon-style tribute to the iconic Commodore 64 8-bit computer.

Modeled and rendered in MagicaCSG.

9 Likes

Haha! Love it. My first ever computer. :green_heart:

I came here for my daily dose of MetinCSG. :smile:

2 Likes

:+1: Thanks mate! The C64 is a legend. I had a C128, which I used to play games in C64 mode 90% of the time. :grin:

:laughing: I will propose a name change to Ephtracy. :smile:

3 Likes

How are you getting such nicely organic shapes out of CSG geometry? That had to take a tremendous amount of time and care to produce.

That’s “the trick” :wink: of distance fields… you can smooth them… you may have a look here directly coded in shaders ( at the pos where the smoothing comes in ):

Imagine how looooonnnng this took the author when not using any interactive app :exploding_head: .

3 Likes

As @Okidoki mentioned, SDF is a special kind of CSG. CSG is usually NURBS-based, which means you still need to take rigid underlying surface structures into account, with the risk of failing Booleans, fillets, chamfers, et cetera. But SDF is based on volumetric shape math. I guess you could think of it as a 3D procedural texture that’s translated to a 3D model shape via a voxel-like grid, and is only meshed if you want to export it. Big advantages compared to NURBS and polygons are: no worries about topology, easy blending of shapes and colors, no failing Booleans, fillets and chamfers, and rendering is a less taxing process compared to polygon-based renderers.

4 Likes

A new MagicaCSG tutorial:

4 Likes

Scared mummy.

Modeled and rendered in MagicaCSG, post-processed in PhotoScape X.
Based on a fun drawing by Nikolas Ilić.

7 Likes

The outsider :corn:

Modeled and rendered with MagicaCSG, post-processed with PhotoScape X.
Based on a fun drawing by Sébastien Le Divenah.

8 Likes

When i grow up then i wanna be a pop-star
:popcorn: :star: :rofl:

1 Like

:grin::+1:

I think I’m going to export this scene to Blender today, then see if I can make a better rendering using Cycles or Octane.

The array along a curve is getting close to being available…

Re-rendered The Outsider in Cycles.

MagicaCSG has a really nice path tracing renderer, but it is very basic: no textures, no focused lights, et cetera.

1 Like

Something interesting… :wink:

5 Likes

Nice indeed, although merely a welcome extension of mesh-based Booleans.

I think Blender should get more SDF modeling and coloring features in general, including SDF primitives and curves as an alternative to mesh objects. SDF is way more efficient for modeling and vertex-coloring than a mesh-based workflow.

I’d say: ditch Blender’s ancient metaballs and replace them with a powerful SDF primitives toolkit.

6 Likes

What about tools like Conjure? Is that using the voxel remesh in the background? Or what way does it work.

I guess ConjureSDF works by using Ray Marching in Blender, so as long as it’s not meshed using Blender’s mesher, it’s comparable with MagicaCSG and Unbound. I think it needs to be meshed in order to render it with Cycles though, as Cycles is a mesh-based renderer.

1 Like

Nice to see another Blender SDF solution is in development.

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks for the notification. :+1:

thats embarrassing man. many addons doing sdf stuff and yet nothing native

1 Like